spectacular state of origin

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
southern warrrior

spectacular state of origin

Post by southern warrrior »

whilst i hail from the southern counties of the uk and have loved wigan for many a long year.
i moved to south east qld some 8 years ago for some better oppertunites and warmer winters.
i thought i'd miss super league. i dont!!! i have always been a bronco's and QLD supporter for a long time. if you've never experienced an origin match over here with all the hype, bragging and state versus state banter that goes on then your missing something very special. i'm a queenslander now and always will be. i love origin it highlights the magic of our game, and the best players always stand up. I've been to suncorp a few times to watch the bronc's and dragons as my boss is dragons fan and love the way suncorp is designed and how they deal with people. courtesy buses and free public transport to and from the stadium, food and XXXX easily available. The game last night was one of the closet and best game ive seen in a long time and im very pleased that petero got a great ending to his origin career. the blues will win soon but it wasn't to be last night. we always score last and they were always going to go the extra effort to give pet his fairytail ending. the drop goal was one of the best ive ever seen and caught the blues with they're pants down.
so thats it, its over for another year the maroon and blue flags put away till may come's around again and we start the cane toad and cockroach gags again. Cant wait!!!
If you ever get the chance to visit this green and sunny land please come at footy time and visit the mecca that is suncorp and you'll see what i mean.

A pround Queenslander
stevethegas

Re: spectacular state of origin

Post by stevethegas »

I watched the match and agree about the intensity and drama, with some wonderful rugby played by both sides.

One area however did strike me, the refereeing. You've got two guys on the pitch, and yet there were a huge number of high tackles, holding on in the tackle and deliberate elbows etc. that all went unpunished. It may come down to different interpretation, but certainly I couldn't imagine a game here played to the same standards. The game's tough enough without that, and I'd be disappointed to see it creeping back into the British game.
Stevethegas
southern warrrior

I totally agree with you i think its disgusting the way that they are allowed to get away with filthy tactics in these origin games, any other game and penalties would be given. the blues seem to be the worst at it, not that qld are angels. robbie farrah was so busy bitching at the ref in the last min he lost his team the chance to score by dropping the ball, paul gallen questions everything the ref does to slow the play down, just a bad loser. there's two things you cant change and thats the weather and a refs decision. get on with it. Tim grant made his origin debut this year and was one of the worst. farrah, bird, gallen, hayne. all used dirty facial tactics.
OJ

Post by OJ »

Recorded the SoO match in the morning and watched it just before the England v Exiles match last night, talk about chalk and cheese and differences on so many levels apart from the talent.

Crowd in Aus 52,437 Crowd in Huddersfield embarrassing and ok I didn't go myself so am one of the guilty ones in a way but I have not been a fan of these games from day one so have chosen not to attend - proper games at the end of our regular season are a different matter. For one thing how can the games be representative when Gareth Ellis, Chris Heighington,Gareth Widdup, Jack Reed, Sam Burgess and old vaseline legs the ginger whinger are not involved. As a training session and a look at new players the games are ok but they are not being marketed as such and at £20 a ticket are not really good value to the fans if they want us to support in numbers it would need to be a whole lot different but accept that such a statement is easier said than done

Atmosphere - was electric at State of Origin but non existant at Hudds. Quote of the night for me was from Barrie Mac when he said "There are some spare seats"

Refereeing - would have been an entirely different game over here with the ref blowing the pea out of his whistle - however the ref in Oz maybe let a bit too much go, lots of punches and elbows in faces that were not good.

The commentators - What a pleasure it is to listen to the commentary of the guys down under and what a difference to Hinge & Bracket although even Eddie seemed frustrated last night as well

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

stevethegas wrote:One area however did strike me, the refereeing. You've got two guys on the pitch, and yet there were a huge number of high tackles, holding on in the tackle and deliberate elbows etc. that all went unpunished.
I thought the refereeing was great,they used common sence,something lacking in our game.

This is State Of Origin not an Exiles farce,take away the biff you take away Origin imo.
Stormfan

Post by Stormfan »

it was an awesome game.Tough,exciting till the end.Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk played really well.The 40 odd metre kick from Coops was just typically Coops style.if nsw concentrated more on football than going the head high tackles ,face massages,leg pulling and whinging to the refs ALL the time then maybe they wouldn`t stuff up all the time.I was very happy to see ricky stuarts face after COOPS kicked that field goal,he looked liked he swallowed a turd.
southern warrrior

.if nsw concentrated more on football than going the head high tackles ,face massages,leg pulling and whinging to the refs ALL the time then maybe they wouldn`t stuff up all the time.

ive been saying that same thing for a couple of years now, but they dont learn.they're more concerned with dirty play than playing the game.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

I'm sure it was a Queenslander who I saw punching a NSW player in the face whilst he was being held down by another player.

Must have been mistaken, and it was just NSW employing dirty tactics. Also, no high shots at all from the Queenslanders...
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

What are you 3 on about?this is state of origin,played at this intensity for decades.And long may it continue.My goodness I wish we had a match like it.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

platt-warrior wrote:What are you 3 on about?this is state of origin,played at this intensity for decades.And long may it continue.My goodness I wish we had a match like it.

I was just stating that all the 'naughties' weren't just coming from the NSW players. It was both sides. Was a brilliant match and series, wasn't denying that.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.