Gelling / Thornley

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

Gelling / Thornley

Post by ian.birchall »

On the basis of 80 minutes today at Wakey there is already no doubt in my mind that Ian Thornley, who I know is really another centre, has to be on the wing ipo Gelling next Saturday.
He took his two tries excellently, was only prevented a third by a tap into touch whereas young Gelling, who is also smaller!, bombed at least one try in the dead ball area but what was even more noticeable to me Carmont declined to pass the ball out to him and tried unsuccessfully to get to the line himself immediately before Sams second try, if Carmont is worried that the lad is going to bomb gilt edged tries then give him Thornley to sse what he can make of him.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
cpwigan

Re: Gelling out, Thornley in.

Post by cpwigan »

ian.birchall wrote:On the basis of 80 minutes today at Wakey there is already no doubt in my mind that Ian Thornley, who I know is really another centre, has to be on the wing ipo Gelling next Saturday.
He took his two tries excellently, was only prevented a third by a tap into touch whereas young Gelling, who is also smaller!, bombed at least one try in the dead ball area but what was even more noticeable to me Carmont declined to pass the ball out to him and tried unsuccessfully to get to the line himself immediately before Sams second try, if Carmont is worried that the lad is going to bomb gilt edged tries then give him Thornley to sse what he can make of him.
Thornley is left sided too.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Very harsh on Gelling who has done nothing but try his best, having said that sometimes your best is not good enough. If Charnley is fit (any info CP on any of the injured players) and Thornley moves to the left where he is more comfortable and it gives us a better chance of winning the semi then so be it. Winning is everything!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:
ian.birchall wrote:On the basis of 80 minutes today at Wakey there is already no doubt in my mind that Ian Thornley, who I know is really another centre, has to be on the wing ipo Gelling next Saturday.
Thornley is left sided too.
Been obvious for a while now that George has no confidence in Gelling. As the above poster has said, Thornley can't play next week. Shaun will deal with it!
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Kittwazzer wrote:
Been obvious for a while now that George has no confidence in Gelling. As the above poster has said, Thornley can't play next week. Shaun will deal with it!
When I stated that a lot of Carmont's service to Gelling was poor I got slated. Whether it is Samoa v Cook Islands or whatever Carmont has played Gelling out the game time after time. With better service Gelling could be a star. Problem now is he does not expect good service from his centre. The kid wants to play. It is Carmont who is playing him out or passing in impossible situations. The energy between them is poor. But ofcourse George can do no wrong. Jim
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

highland convert wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:
When I stated that a lot of Carmont's service to Gelling was poor I got slated. Whether it is Samoa v Cook Islands or whatever Carmont has played Gelling out the game time after time. With better service Gelling could be a star. Problem now is he does not expect good service from his centre. The kid wants to play. It is Carmont who is playing him out or passing in impossible situations. The energy between them is poor. But ofcourse George can do no wrong. Jim
How do you explain Pat having no problems outside George?

or how George was to blame for putting Gelling clean through at 0-0 yet Gelling was caught from behind?
highland convert

Chemistry.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Really? You're criticising a player who has consistently been one of our best overseas signings (and who scored a hat-trick yesterda) for taking the responsibility himself, rather than gambling?

Gelling has bombed chance after chance outside George, making very basic wing errors - all of which have proved that he is not a winger. George passes to him when the chance is there, he may be more reluctant than he would be if Richards was outside him; however can you blame him? Could it be that George is taking the responsibility himself, rather than placing Gelling under undue pressure in order to help his confidence?

Or are you suffering another case of your infamous "Barrett Syndrome", the well documented condition that sees you criticise the best players and present completely inaccurate theories as though you attend every training session and our privvy to every discussion?

You're way off here Jim and I think you need to consider what your motivation is for posting things like this
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Jim you are barking mad :lol:
highland convert

I can only interpret what I see. I see a winger on the shoulder of his centre and the pass is ten yards behind him but it is Gelling out of position. I have watched with amazement as Pat in the same position as gelling receive pass after pass and become top try scorer. Those are facts. Whether the failure is centre or winger based I have no idea. George as the experienced player appears to have written Gelling off as not worth the bother. If it were easy we all could catch every ball. Does he drop more than anyone else. I doubt it. But every one is logged. Does SW rate him. Obviously. You are doing the same to him as you have done to others. The facts fit your agenda. You have a player to trash and he will be hounded until he leaves. I watched Gleeson do exactly the same thing to Carney in oz a few years back. It happens. Two players don't gel. On balance Gelling has done more right than wrong but that is by the way. Have a look down the back trail. How many have been hounded out only to prove they were far better than they were given credit for. Where was I wrong about Barrett. We have been a far better team since he left? The emphasis is on team. Jim