Re: Wigan 27, Bradfordd 28

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fraggle

Re: Wigan vs. Bradford: Pr...

Post by Fraggle »

Strength in depth is something we're perhaps lacking at the moment. Our bench was Brown, Allen, Godwin and Beswick, there's Pratt, someone called Meyers I've never heard of, Parker and Lynch. Rather more experience on the Bradford bench than ours, indeed our subs probably haven't played many more games in total than any one of Pratt, Parker or Lynch. If any of tonight's injuries are serious we might be even more lightweight in terms of experience next week, against a team we know has lots of experience (most of it at Wigan!)
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

Gutted how sure i was with 15mins to go i think the 2nd of bradfords trys was forward, i thought we played well for about 60mins of that game. Some good performances per player though, liked Vaeliki (sorry about the spelling) 2 trys, one and one setup last game as well looks good. Didnt realise SeuSeu was injured until i didnt see his name in the team and heres me thinking we may have 3 props. Guissett looked good, on the whole if we did have so many injuries in the 2nd half then it would go some way to explain what happened. Or maybe it was the fact braford had 14 men on the pitch :sly:
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

we were in control of that game for 70 minutes but a game of rugby is not for 70 its 80 weve got to learn to keep going right until the final whistle which we sometimes didn't do last year.On the plus side vaeleki had a good game and guissett made a good debut.But i cant help feeling gutted and annoyed at the team for slacking of and the ref well ganson what more can i say.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

:eusa16:

I know that the injury situation has again been raised with regards to our poor start to the season.

Am I not the only person who thinks that our pre-season prep work needs to be looked at in more detail. For the 3rd or 4th season on the run we are struggling badly injury wise surely this can't always be down to bad luck.

As soon as the season begins and we begin to play competitive matches the injuries pile up quickly. I know rugby league is a contact sport but many of the other Super League teams appear to cope. I think the only other team who seems to have a similar problem is Hull as they presently have a few 1st teamers missing.

Have to say I was pretty impressed with Guisset on his debut last night. He always looked to take the ball forward and sometimes it took 3 Bradford players to tackle him.

:eusa2: Keep up the good work, Jerome.

Whilst we can point to some strange decisions from last nights officials as reasons for our loss there's no glossing over that we played some silly rugby once we went up 27-12.

I don't think the kicking game was used enough in the last 15 minutes. Surely it's just as good to put a good kick in, pen the opposition within their own 20 metre line and wind the clock down than to continually look to score points.

Also agree with what has been said previously about the defensive line looking ragged at the end, I know we were very tired but if you're going to charge out of the line for an interception at least make sure you get some touch on the ball.
The Black Pearl

Post by The Black Pearl »

Awful, sums it up. What are they being coached! Professional players should beable to close a game out when they are leading 27-12 with 10mins to go and for the two try's Vealiki scored you came out the line and Withers ghosted through and lost us the game. Harsh but true I think you will all agree.
Pain is temporary pride is forever
gab0512

Post by gab0512 »

Having read a few replies on here, and seen some of the reports, it again feels like depression has set in.

For 70 minutes we were great, and the better team. I sit right behind our dug out, and it was like a bad night in the hospital emergency room. We didn't have anybody we could put back on, even though we still had substitutions to make. How Orr made it back on in last 3-4 mins for Brown I don't know. He was away with the fairies for most of the night.

I dread to think how Stevo viewed the game, but I feel a lot of optimism with our youngsters. We played really well for the vast majority, and only lost it when we couldn't run anymore..... Instead of critising I think we should give them a pat on the back, because most on here didn't give us any chance before the game!
chorleywarrior

Post by chorleywarrior »

A combination of poor discipline and unfit players helped the Bulls back into the game lastnight,but the question I'd like answering is..Why is it we can't seem to make a good start to a season?I'm sick of hearing about injured players...lastnight that game should have been sewn up well before the final 10mins but the trouble is with this team is that when it comes to the crunch they just can't hack it!!
My sound like I'm being harsh but can anyone honestly put there hand on there heart and say Wigan will make the GF?
They need to sort things out and very quickly we've played 3 games and neither have really impressed,and it's about time somebody gave Sculthorpe and Orr a dam good kick up the @@@@ because they were both awful!Better get it sorted soon Dennis before Uncle Mo gets his axe out!!!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

I thought we played well for 70 minutes, didn't think that Ganson helped us one bit in the first half, maybe we could have got more points had he not been as bent as a banana, however, we can't blame him for the second half and in particular the last ten minutes.

We didn't play controlled rugby, we were deep in our own half, the drop out didn't make the half way line meaning they were right back on top of us. We'd have been better kicking long and for touch to slow things down a bit and reshape for the scrum.

God knows what Vaealiki was thinking when he went to make the interception that allowed Withers to breeze in. He's improved going forward since Salford and a great powering try last night but he's left the line a few times now to try and intercept only to fail.

I thought Guisset looked promising, he looked fit and like he was up for it. He made a few good yards and some decent tackles too. Perhaps fate has fallen on our side this time? Only time will tell!
proud_pie_eater

Post by proud_pie_eater »

DaveO posted:
We played some dum stuff out there in thesecond half and simply let them back in it.

Kevin Brown hasn't the brains to be on the pitch. It was his pass to touch that wad the turning point. He has done it several times before but at least previously he has been at the other end of the pitch. But to do it on your own 20m line was rank stupidity.

The inexperienced tag doesn't apply to him any more.

As to Vaikeli he scored two good tries but ultimately he missed a one on one tackle that gave Bradford the winning score. A basic mistake.

Despite the injuroes we played stupid football going for intercepts and daft offloads when all we need to do was play out our sets of six and tackle the man with the ball rather than go for stupid interceptions.

I am very annoyed with the way they played in the second half.

The trouble is that was pretty close to our best team with only Sue Sue and Carney out (if Faz goes) and it wasn't good enough against a pretty poor Bradford side. All teams can expect to have one ot two out most games and we can't cope.

Yet again we make a poor start to the season.

I think the bottom line is the team is just not good enough.

Dave
I totaly disagree with you on near enough everything you say!

Kevin Brown made a good pass and if Dallas looked and knew the ball was coming to him they both would have been hailed heroes.

Vaieliki, yes missed a tackle, but played well throughout the game. Criticising players will not make them a better team.

A few daft tackles, yes, but Wigan played good ball at points and were impressive with their attack and defence throughout the game (despite errors); Moran especially was putting his body on the line every tackle. The game was exciting and they kept the ball alive when they got near the try line but I agree they need to stop making silly off loads and they need to get serious.

Bradford were dirrty last night and caused a lot of injuries to the players that were making an impact on the game. The driving force and the field influence was taken away from Wigan at the end and Bradford sneaked in with two (lucky) tries that won the game. If Wigan won it would have been well deserved and everyone would be praising them and everything they did rather than criticising the non perfect performance they saw. When is a unpredictable game of Rugby League perfect?

I dont think Wigan have had a bad start to the season, I think the way they have been playing has been positive and they definatly have something to build on but they need to go that extra mile! They still need to push that little bit at the end of the match and they shouldnt relax until the buzzer goes, echos of Great Britain coming through there.

The team is not bad and as soon as they get it together they will be a brilliant team. Once the "Andy Farrell saga" is over and the team know where they stand, they will be able to move on. Lets just hpoe it happens soon. Injuries at the moment are impeeding Wigans progrees but I have every faith in the team that I love! See you all at Widnes :wink:
NUMBER 1 SPOT HERE WE COME!!!
ian.birchall

Re: Wigan 27, Bradford 28

Post by ian.birchall »

Mike, I think you are being unfair to Moran. We knew all about his propensity to go for the intercept when we signed him, after all where did most of his tries come from, but what surprised and interested me last night and why I voted for him as MOTM was his tackling of the biggest Bulls players.
Time and again he went around their ankles and they went down on the spot, not struggling on for another 5 or 6 yards. A lot of our other players could look and learn, reminded me of Aussie hooker McCormack a few seasons back.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.