"We did everything but win the game"

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
waterside glens

Re: "We did everythin...

Post by waterside glens »

squealer but at least the jinx is out of the way :o good to meet you trots and alison. will see you again maybe giants game or i,ll start working on the wife now for a few more trips
trotski_tgwu

Post by trotski_tgwu »

waterside glens posted:
squealer but at least the jinx is out of the way :o good to meet you trots and alison. will see you again maybe giants game or i,ll start working on the wife now for a few more trips

Well at Least i didnt tell everyone how you finance your little trip now did i?

Never mentioned BANK ROBBERY Once OOPs just did lol.

:D

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

Joanne2809

Post by Joanne2809 »

Ganson made some terrible decisions and Sean O'Laughlin did 'mouth' of at the ref, but what does he expect when he winds all the players up making stupid unjustified decisions ?? that is what will happen players lose their cool !! I know where I was sat in East Stand, there were alot of tempers being lost against Ganson !!

LETS FACE IT....GANSON IS A ST HELENOR !! so what do you expect, he always is the same with Wigan !!!

Surprised Sean didnt say anything worse to him...he deserved it !!

After watching wigan v wakefield, I was not confident, but gained confidence after watching wigan v bradford, superb defence !!

Well done lads !!

by the way Denis moran....AWESOME !!
ellery

Post by ellery »

The problem is with the coaching. It is no good being a 60 minute team. In the super league era the successful teams have been the ones with good coaches. Leeds and Saints both targeted this with their coaches ( Ok Millward isn't my fave person but he is a good coach) Wigan teams man for man are better than other teams but are beaten by superior coaching. Also we are picking up far too many injuries that may be down to our training techniques. Until these areas are addressed we will continue to struggle.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

ellery posted:
The problem is with the coaching. It is no good being a 60 minute team. In the super league era the successful teams have been the ones with good coaches. Leeds and Saints both targeted this with their coaches ( Ok Millward isn't my fave person but he is a good coach) Wigan teams man for man are better than other teams but are beaten by superior coaching. Also we are picking up far too many injuries that may be down to our training techniques. Until these areas are addressed we will continue to struggle.
Yes we did capitulate against the Bulls a bit too easily. But thats why we do so well at the end of a season as were not burnt out by the end.

Feel sorry for Betts he is on a hiding to nothing. If we do not get into a final this season then Mo will get rid.

Hope Mo accepts partial responsibility becasue the Faz saga does not help the team.

Bloody hell a fellow red sock fan. Pity we can not have a 86 year old curse on the Saints. And that Curse should not be reversed.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

ellery posted:
I'm not sure if our coaching is totally to blame, from the sound of the radio commentary on Friday we had completely the right tactics early in the game which shows to me that Betts and Farrer had done their homework and run the team through drills on how to beat the expected Bradford gameplan. However, the ability to change things during the course of a game is perhaps a problem, and that also includes the captain as well as the coaching staff. I'd agree that maybe we're not good at making changes that have to be made, whether it's because the coaches don't know what to do, the captain on the field doesn't know how to implement the changes being requested, or we just don't have the fresh players to bring on to make things happen, or all three.

The injuries issue has cropped up before, and many of us have remarked that since Marty Hulme left and Nigel Ashley-Jones took over (who came to us from St Helens, don't forget) that our injury problems have escalated dramatically. We don't have strength in depth in this squad in terms of experienced players, but it seems that (despite/because of/delete as you wish) his work we don't have strength in terms of 80 minute fitness either. It's been said before, but is the club really sure he's doing a good job or should we be looking for someone new there as well, although I guess Mrs Ashley-Jones (I presume it's his wife) who's in the match programmes every game in charge of the CHAMPS Centre might not be too happy with that.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

I don't think you can blame the coaching staff for the end to the Bulls game or injuries, well maybe to a certain extent for the latter.

You could see Farrar going mad on SKY so obviously they weren't playing to the plan. All we had to do was play defensively, take the tackles, run the clock down, keep a firm line and kick deep for touch on the last kick. Instead we went for daft interceptions, made needless offloads, threw mad passes. I think the Bulls coming back put the wind up us and we played some frantic rugby similar to Saints dare I say it!

As for injuries, were most of them not twisted joints? If so, this might have something to do with the soft, grassless ground on which they were playing, cf. Carney last season!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Doug Stand posted:
I said I'd wait until today before coming on because I've been so angry since Friday...so here is my 2 cents on the game.

OK... this game has been coming since last year. They did their level best to throw away games against St.Helens and Wakefield in the play-offs.
Fine, they did well for an hour, but it displays a lack of skill, proffesionalism and leadership for a team, to lose a game that they are 27-12 up in 10 minutes.

An absolute disgrace. Yes the ref is a disgrace but that's not an excuse. The tackling for the last two tries especially was woeful. These so called untercept attempts were schoold boy. It only server in contriving another set of six for Bradford.
I'm questonning Wigans fitness levels as they were visibly out on their feet in the last 10.

What is going on with the training methods. There is is something inherently wrong for a team to be dogged with injuries for three years. You can't attribute all that to bad luck.

So for Management down, they need to look at themselves and realise. Teams are no longer afraid of Wigan. What is worse if Wigan put a 20 point difference between the two sides, the other team just thinks, doesn't matter we know we can score 2
points in a quarter of an hour.

Bah.... it was just a disgrace.... Actually just to make me feel better. This has happended before. There was agame at Central park, think is was 83 or 84 when wigan were something like 21-2 up against Bradford and I think it was still 3 points for a try then and Wigan lost. Hanley was at Bradford then and Keith Mimby broke the windows that they used to hold the score board. I hope they made him pay for that...

Finally, Hull KR, Halifax, Castleford...All these were great teams. Championship/Challange Cup winning sides... look at them now...could happen to us..again!!!!
Some will view this as very harsh but he has a point. Some players are injured too often. Games are being thrown away and discipline is woeful at times. If Faz leaves in May as it is being touted by the media, we will have a big hole to fill and no player available to come in.

Players need to raise to another level or we will finish at least in the bottom half if we capitulate like this on a regular basis.
gab0512

Post by gab0512 »

Don't you think talk of relegation is a bit OTT Doug? Have you tried the Samaritans - they can work wonders :D

We have lost one game by 2pts and the other by 1pt, with the latter against virtually the same side that won the GF and WCC! Things are not that bad, and if you really believe they are I will have a small charity bet with you. I definitely think we will finish in the top 6, and not only that, we will make it to the semi finals. I think GF is a bit beyond us at the moment, but I live in hope. Keep the faith and keep supporting :tong1:
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

gab0512 posted:
We have lost one game by 2pts and the other by 1pt, with the latter against virtually the same side that won the GF and WCC!
We were playing Bratfud, not Leeds! What GF and WCC have Bradford won in the last few months?
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]