Simply not good enough

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Simply not good enough

Post by cpwigan »

The bottom line is that sadly when it has mattered our club has not been good enough. It hurts but there is no point in pretending otherwise. We are some way behind Wire and probably amongst a chasing pack of 3 or 4 clubs.

I have no doubt Wire will complete the double next weekend. Leeds will try to kill the game and keep it low scoring but as Wire showed at Wembley they had too much talent, ability and know how to be suckered.

Wire are firmly top dogs and we are chasing their tail.
Kiwiseddon

Re: Simply not good enough

Post by Kiwiseddon »

It's horrible to concede that it's the truth CP but I have to say that the objective part of me agrees with you.
Wire are a great team but more importantly coached by someone with a wealth of experience that SW doesn't yet possess.

Still. We were the best team over the course of the league. It's just a shame that despite being the biggest achievement in the game, it means nothing really.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Indeed despite what it should mean, the League Leaders is meaningless. Wire even ran us very close in that despite their priority being resting and rotation.

We simply have not been good enough. We can blame officials blah blah blah but we need to look closer to home and at ourselves.
ian b

Post by ian b »

When i found out Sam was injured i couldnt believe that Pat wasnt played at fullback and said before the game that sinfield would make Wigan pay for putting a kid there as good as he is.Oloughlin at hooker is also mindblowing and to buy a scrum half out of his contract and then basically not play him until tonight is wrong aswell.Unless he was injured Thorniley could have had Pats position and imo i would have given Logan a run out at hooker along side Tommy. The team never played for 40 minutes and they looked flat for much of the game. I really dont want to sound like a smart arse and i respect S Wane but his team selection in a game like this was totally wrong.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I never post what I do not believe God

I have watched some great Wigan teams / players over the years and although other fans felt it was arrogant I knew that if that particular Wigan team took to the pitch and played anything like THEY would always wion irrespective of what the opposition did.

The present Wigan team and it started in Madge 2nd season and has developed more and more this season are rarely assured to win any major game against a team like Wire. There are noe ? when we play Leeds, Saints and so forth.
TSB

Post by TSB »

Lets all take stock from this result.
we lost with 1 point. Leeds played perfect rugby League the first Half. We were playing bout Micky Mc and the special one. Second half we played awesome. 1 mistake from Jack Murphy from a BOMB. I for one will NOT HOLD that against the youngster , if he takes it we win.

First Half Leeds second WIGAN. but unfortunately we lost.
Shauns first season semi challenge cup, semi play offs, League leaders shield. Just because we are Wigan Does not give us the devine right to win everything.

WELL DONE SHAUN WANE ON YOUR FIRST SEASON> Bring on the next.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

God you cannot blame decisions tonight. Plenty went our way tonight. We simply were not good enough.

Forget eras, great Wigan players knew how to win big games of RL. Wigan of 2012 are clueless when it comes to winning big games. The style of RL Waney seems to believe in has NEVER been successful in my lifetime.

How dumb were we tonight, 1 point up, we had several sets in the opposition half and never slotted a 1 pointer to increase the lead to 2 points which gave Leeds their opportunity to win the game. I hate to bring him up but Shaun Edwards knew how to win RL games, Wigan of 2012 are light years behind that mentality.

At least Leeds know their limitations and play to that understanding. Yes v Wire it comes unstuck but v DUMB RL TEAMS it works more often than it fails.

By and large we are a DUMB RL NATION!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

mickw wrote:well tonight showed we rely on sam far to much and without him we were very average.quite frankly if we can`t beat that leeds team on home soil then we might as well be out.shaun wane lost the plot when the pressure was on and brett finch who we needed to step up to the mark had a stinker,as for wire they`ve not won tomorrow yet.
Watching it again now which I rarely do after a lose!

Leeds scored one try all night. It came against the run of play from another dodgy pass by Finch which admittedly, might have been a try for us. Rest of their points came from penalties.

That said, without Sam again I doubt we'd have won next week and if I'm going to get soaked to the skin after our last game of the season, I'd prefer it to be at the DW instead of OT. I can get home quicker!
loyalbelfast

Post by loyalbelfast »

Totally totally agree - not good enough when it matters the most

Said in previous posts we're always the bridesmaid never the bride

Flat beer to taste again!! Why o why can't we PEAK during the games that matter? They are all adding up over the years

The team has had weeks off due to not playing in the Challenge Cup final & for for winning our 1st play -off, what more do we need yet we lose to team that has had no weeks off at all & we had home advantage

Absolutely gutted!! with the latter part of the season
compared to the super super way we were playing at the first

Let the stats speak for themselves to the No of trophies won during the SL era compared to our rivals - its simply not good enough for a Wigan team - end off!

Alas feel this pattern will continue,

Ancient & Loyal (just like Belfast)
bocco

Post by bocco »

leeds know how to win, we don't yet!Also they & wire have a great kicking game ours is terrible always straight down the throat of the full back.

guttted but what a great game, shouted myself hoarse now cannot sleep1