Are we missing a leader?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Are we missing a leader?

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Firstly this isn't a dig at lockers, who has yet again been brilliant all season and is rightfully captain and so it should stay.

When i say a leader i mean someone who will take a game by the scruff of the neck and play the hero. If you look at the teams that have been most successful over the past few years other than us its Wire (cup), Leeds.

What is the constant theme in games where leeds and wire play. Briers and Sinfield - they infuriate and frustrate the life out of a game they spoil they make it so difficult for a good team to play well.

Leeds knew they couldn't match us blow for blow and sinfield took the game out our hands as he did in the cup - he kicked us to death, wasted time he made sure we couldn't get into a flow he kicked goals when everyone wondered why he kicked the drop goal he strangled the life out the game. I've seen him do this so often for leeds.

Briers is a similar story - those kicks to waste time, the random drop goals which deflate the opponents the annoying time wasting and gamesmanship and 40/20's.

Look at Saint Helen's this is the job Long did for them and since he left as did the constant success they enjoyed because you knew he always had that play or kick or pass in him, he could drag his team out a rut and once they where on top like a dog with a bone he wouldn't let you have anything your own way.

This for me is what we are missing, we have Sam tomkins who is a brilliant player but he was never a sinfield or briers or long type player anyway - the last time we had a player like that i think was Barrett who could take the game by the scruff of the neck and command it. Finch was kind of this player but he would always try and outplay people rather than spoil.

I think what im trying to say is we have the players who can be amazing when we are on top or playing well - what we dont have is effectively an ar**hole who can spoil and take the other team out their stride when their on top.

I feel like we are a great team but sometimes trying to "outplay" everyone cant be done in tight games and we need someone who will choke the life out the opposition.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
rdownes9

Re: Are we missing a leader?

Post by rdownes9 »

I think that's a very fair post, quite agree with the point your making. Me and my dad have been saying all season, how good we could be if we had a tactical kicker in us like Briers or Sinfield. We are a great side without question, but lets face it our in game kicking leaves a lot to be desired. Friday night everything went straight down Hardakers throat.

Lockers has been great again, but I know exactly what you mean in us lacking a leader. A key figure who will dictate the game.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

No, a game plan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Yes, Lockers is never a captain in a month of Sundays, we need a captain who is vocal like Faz was
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

I used to be of an opinion that Lockers wasn't a captain as you didn't seem him being vocal on field but he's totally different to Faz as he leads the team by example.

I know that Sam takes the headlines with his flair but I think that Lockers has to run him very close for our player of the season as he's so dependable and consistent in his high standard of performance.

No surprise he was one of our better players on Friday night.

I just think our lack of a kicking game needs sorting out. You could see the difference between us and Leeds on Friday as Sinfield ensured that we found it difficult to gain territory by pinning us back with his kicking.

Whilst ours usually found either the wingers or full back and gave Leeds easy yardage gains.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

A good captain does not have to be to be vocal!
Andrew0604

Post by Andrew0604 »

A good captain leads by example and with just a few chosen words inspires his team mates to follow his example and lift their game. Faz was awesome for our club but how many trophies did he lift as captain?
We need someone that in tight games can make the right tactical decisions on the field. On Friday not only did we lack a long kicking game but also the little kicks that turn a defence. Leeds were up in our faces every time so we needed someone to put doubt in their minds with little grubbers and chips to slow their line speed.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

medlocke wrote:Yes, Lockers is never a captain in a month of Sundays, we need a captain who is vocal like Faz was
You're at it again :wink:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

josie andrews wrote:
medlocke wrote:Yes, Lockers is never a captain in a month of Sundays, we need a captain who is vocal like Faz was
You're at it again :wink:
:lol: :wink:
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:No, a game plan
Game plan, but the same one all season ?