Tommy will miss Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Tommy will miss Wigan

Post by josie andrews »

Departing Thomas Leuluai thanked the Wigan fans for making his time at the club so memorable.

The halfback played his final match for the club last Friday night, a 13-12 play-off semi-final defeat to Leeds cruelly denying him the chance to say farewell with a Grand Final appearance.

Leuluai, 27, is joining New Zealand Warriors for next season.

Speaking after the game on Friday to the Wigan Eve Post he said: "I feel like I've grown-up at this club.

"I came here quite young and I'm a different person than I was when I first came and I'm glad for that.

"I owe a lot to the club - they've moulded me as a player and a person so I need to thank them for that.

"The fans have been terrific with me from the start. I'm going to miss the place."

Leuluai was the Harry Sunderland Trophy winner in Wigan's Grand Final charge two years ago, and played a huge part in the Warriors Challenge Cup Final success at Wembley a year ago.

"There's been so many [memories], winning the trophies obviously stand out," said the Kiwi.

Looking back on Friday's loss he added,

"It wasn't meant to be I suppose, it was one of those games.I thought we did well but sometimes someone else is in control of those games and it wasn't us.

"The way we were playing wasn't really suiting the game. I thought we made the right changes and managed to come though the middle in the second half.

"Credit to Leeds they hung in there and got the job done.

"It's hard to take - they get a try from a loose ball, kick three penalties and take a field goal so it's a tough one to swallow. Leeds have been doing it for years. That's why they are a champion side - they keep coming at you.

"I have a feeling they got a bit lucky but we'd certainly take it if the shoe was on the other foot".

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Tommy will miss Wigan

Post by josie andrews »

We'll miss you Tommy - Big time :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Post by jobo »

Hope I'm not being too pessimistic here but I reckon Wigan will miss Tommy far more than he will miss us. Tough as old boots, excellent player as a hooker, cracking at scrum half, always gave 100% with no moaning. can't see who could replace him.
jolleymike

Post by jolleymike »

somehow i think he will be one of the biggest losses from the club since adrian lamb, his ability to knock the stuffing out of an attacking player with a booming shoulder charge lifted the team on more than one occasion his challenge on meli in the Grand final sticks in my mind "BoooooooM" even Meli gave him respect for the challenge.

see you tommy thanks for the memories pal.
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

I will always remember his Grand Final interview from 2010....

"It's f***ing awesome!"

Absolute legend and will be sorely missed by us.
Up The Mont!
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Won't be forgotten at the club.

Probably my favourite player over the past few seasons. Great player, tough as they come.

Good luck Tommy.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

We still can't spell your surname though
markill

Post by markill »

He'll miss us even more when he gets to the NZ Warriors and realises they aren't exactly in great shape. McLennan has been fired as well so there is no certainty that the new coach will see him in the same way McLennan might have.

They do have room for a half back to organise things with Maloney leaving and they have lost one of the interchange hooker options for next year so I hope he gets the opportunity to prove himself as world class in the NRL.

He had maybe just about become too good for the Super League anyway - the worlds best players should be playing NRL.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
ngac

Post by ngac »

lol i still chuckly when i see that vid

Thanks Tommy, will miss you!