'the management'

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
we_need_a_coach

'the management'

Post by we_need_a_coach »

:angry: :angry: Is it only me, I think we need some direction I don't rate Betts at all, we are losing our best players, while the Latics are buying in Internationals to help them into the premier league, a further belittle our standing in the town. Lyndsey is a waste of space, he's lost the plot, what are we going to do when we lose to widnes on sun ?
heydude

Re: 'the management'

Post by heydude »

:cool: have you read my topic am i paranoid or not this is sort of point i was trying to get across i feel mr whelan is the one pulling the strings no matter what people say about him "having nothing to do with wigan rugby league" course he does he's the main shareholder and landlord he just pushing football all the time.with regards to denis betts give him a chance with injuries and farrell and the loss of luke davico it's not been an easy start to the season for him.
don't eat yellow snow
proud_pie_eater

Post by proud_pie_eater »

latics have nothing to do with Wigan rugby for gods sake, why compare them when they are totaly different! Why does this subject constantly come up on a rugby board!
NUMBER 1 SPOT HERE WE COME!!!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

heydude posted:
i feel mr whelan is the one pulling the strings no matter what people say about him "having nothing to do with wigan rugby league" course he does he's the main shareholder and landlord he just pushing football all the time.
There's a difference between him "pushing football" and him not doing enough for the rugby. He can push the Latics all he likes, if he does nothing for the Warriors then I doubt anyone would notice. There's not much Whelan can do to block anything the rugby team wants, apart from the small amount of money he provides I don't think he's very relevant at all.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

we_need_a_coach posted:
:angry: :angry: Is it only me, I think we need some direction I don't rate Betts at all, we are losing our best players, while the Latics are buying in Internationals to help them into the premier league, a further belittle our standing in the town. Lyndsey is a waste of space, he's lost the plot, what are we going to do when we lose to widnes on sun ?
You're assuming there are internationals for the rugby team to bring in, in the same way that the soccer team are bringing in "Internationals" (and which country do these big-name Latics stars play for? They've not been signing any Beckhams or Ronaldo's, have they?) Several weeks into the season is too late for us to pick up top players, and the top Aussies are too attached to their green and gold jerseys to give that up by coming over here. Remember, there are NO current Australian test players playing in the UK, not at Wigan, not anywhere else, because they lose their test spot. So we're left with a finite number of Kiwi's and we've not done badly in attracting Kiwi internationals in recent years. We've just picked up a top French international, but otherwise THERE ARE NO OTHER TOP PLAYERS AVAILABLE!

Betts can't be criticised too much, he obviously got the game plan right last week with the way we blew Bradford off the park for the first part of the game. The fact we ran out of players and those left on the field made mistakes is not totally the fault of the coach.

If we lose to Widnes on Sunday, then it wouldn't be the first time. Given how many ex-Wigan players there are and an ex-Wigan coach, then it might be embarressing to lose but on the other hand, we're putting out lots of half-fit players and kids so we shouldn't expect miracles.

And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....

[hr]
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Whelan could give us as much money as he wanted, we still couldn't spend it because of the salary cap, apart from the fact that there just aren't any top class players available, as Fraggle rightly points out.
heydude

Post by heydude »

Fraggle posted:

There's a difference between him "pushing football" and him not doing enough for the rugby. He can push the Latics all he likes, if he does nothing for the Warriors then I doubt anyone would notice. There's not much Whelan can do to block anything the rugby team wants, apart from the small amount of money he provides I don't think he's very relevant at all.
ok look had this kind of argument for two days now we see whelan in a different light we can't change each others mind so i'm calling quits on this subject (no offence) but i still say don't blame denis for the poor start (i know you didn't say this fraggle it was we_need_a_coach)
don't eat yellow snow
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

what we need is a bit of good luck for a change and a good ref
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

heydude posted:
ok look had this kind of argument for two days now we see whelan in a different light we can't change each others mind so i'm calling quits on this subject
No probs, we're both stuck in our opinions as you say. I dare say you're probably right, but I like to think the club isn't so badly mismanaged even if the evidence sometimes doesn't justify my confidence!

[hr]
heydude

Post by heydude »

Fraggle posted:
heydude posted:
ok look had this kind of argument for two days now we see whelan in a different light we can't change each others mind so i'm calling quits on this subject
No probs, we're both stuck in our opinions as you say. I dare say you're probably right, but I like to think the club isn't so badly mismanaged even if the evidence sometimes doesn't justify my confidence!
i know i would rather talk about what's going on the field than what's happening upstairs.
don't eat yellow snow