Even players are fed up with the league format

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Sutty

Even players are fed up with the league format

Post by Sutty »

After my long winded post on why I am not renewing my season ticket, it seems that even the players are fed up with the way that the RFL have set up the league and playoffs.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-5212286

I was fed up last season (I still am), so I can't imagine how disappointed the players must feel. They put their bodies through hell for 27 games but, in the end, it counts for virtually nothing.

Until the playoff format is changed our league, clubs, supporters and players will get more and more disgruntled and I worry that it will eventually implode, with a mass exodus to either RU or the NRL. Fan numbers buying season tickets will drop and the game will die a slow and painful death.
IMO, this has already started, but it's still not too late to stop the rot, but something has to be done, and soon.

DaveO

Re: Even players are fed up with the league format

Post by DaveO »

Having a proper incentive to finish top is definitely what is required.

That would make it far harder to coast in the regular season and then do as Hansen suggested Leeds did, turn it on for just five games.

If you have to play harder in the regular season it stands to reason you will be less able to do what Leeds did.

The old top 5 system had it exactly right in this regard in my opinion.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

They now have some stupid rules in football, but it does not stop people going to support their club.

In my case, I would like to see the return of promotion/relegation and a better and less team play off competition in our game, but as a loyal supporter, the lack of them does not stop me renewing my support for the club and the game!

If anyone wants to be a fickle supporter, they should watch the Latic's as they will be in good company.
legalcare

Post by legalcare »

It is a crazy system ! The league leaders at the end deserve to call themsleves champions. Not a mini competetion at the end. Which is odd in itself as last 6 play off ! If it is going to be a mini competition then surely the top 8 would be sensible. Maybe maths arent my forte lol :D
Gordon J Smith - LegalCare Team
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

You will never get rid of the end of season play off competition as long as Sky are involved in showing coverage of our game as they want a big end of season game at Old Trafford. The thing that needs to be done is to amend the play off format and reduce the number of competing club's which and give more advantage to the top two club's in the league table or just have a one off game between the top two club's.
willie c

Post by willie c »

the play offs are a total joke is it just me that thinks its just a money makeing scam by the rfl
here mate is that tackle seven your jokeing my head marra
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

unfortunately, the playoffs are here to stay.
If we can't get rid then top 2 play with winner straight through.
3 v 6 loser out
4 v 5 loser out
winners play each other loser out
winner plays loser of the top 2 game with winner through.
If you finish top 2 you will get rewarded with at least one home game and also time off for good behavior!

This would also guarantee a final place for one of the top 2 teams.

In the words of Sergio "simples"
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

willie c

Sky run the Super League and insisted on a top eight competition like they have in Australia. The difference being that in Australia all the sixteen club's do not play each other twice in the League, hence a top eight play off. Plus of course, they get bigger crowds than what we get as a result of all the play off games being classed as special games and played with the odd exception at the two big grounds in Sydney which is one of the biggest cities in the world and therefore has no problem in attracting large crowds, especially when RL is bigger than football there. To play the same end of season format in our game is stupid.
markill

Post by markill »

The scary thing is, other sports have rumours rumbling around that they are looking to greater reward mediocrity in search of more money for the 'headline' games. NFL are apparently considering extending the playoffs so more than half the teams can make it. UEFA are looking at maybe increasing the CL and getting rid of the Europa League, so that a team finishing 6th in the prem could potentially go on the next year to win the european cup (which ironically enough is now even more an apt name for the competition than the champions league given there are so few champions playing in it compared to the old format!).
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:They now have some stupid rules in football, but it does not stop people going to support their club.

In my case, I would like to see the return of promotion/relegation and a better and less team play off competition in our game, but as a loyal supporter, the lack of them does not stop me renewing my support for the club and the game!

If anyone wants to be a fickle supporter, they should watch the Latic's as they will be in good company.
Well I renewed my season ticket even though I disagree with the current format of the competition but I won't class anyone as fickle if they feel they can't justify the outlay for 27 rounds given the structure.

I think the most interesting thing about the article is this is the first team I have seen anyone in the game say what we already know - that the current format means you can wait until the play-offs to turn it on.