Wane hints at another signing

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wane hints at another signing

Post by josie andrews »

SHAUN Wane is scouring Super League and the NRL for a possible new signing to bolster his squad.

The Warriors coach stressed that he is “comfortable” with his current senior panel.

But Gareth Hock’s departure to Widnes under acrimonious circumstances has come at a time when Wane has suffered a large dose of bad luck with injuries.

Second-rowers Chris Tuson and Harrison Hansen, as well as prop Epa Lauki, are all ruled out of Friday’s Super League opener at Salford.

And while he has enough players to cover for their losses, he admits there is room to manoeuvre under the salary cap if he finds a player who could strengthen his squad.

Chairman Ian Lenagan has given him the green-light to recruit, either permanently or on loan. Wane said: “We’re looking, I’ve got room under the cap, and I’ve had chats with Ian and I have his support.

“But I won’t rush into it – I won’t make any panic signings.

“If someone is available who we like then we’ll take a look, but I can honestly say there’s no-one right now who stands out.”

Taking Lauaki, battling a hamstring injury, out of the frame still leaves Wane with five props fighting for four positions (two starting and two on the bench) in the side for Friday’s game – Ben Flower, Lee Mossop, Paul Prescott, Gil Dudson and new-boy Scott Taylor.

In the back-row, Liam Farrell could be joined by either Jack Hughes or Iain Thornley, with the other occupying the left centre role.

Thornley played at centre against Warrington in a friendly last Saturday, and was praised by Wane afterwards – a hint, perhaps, that he will continue with the former Sale RU player in the three-quarters and Hughes in the back-row, at least until Tuson returns from a knee problem in the next couple of weeks.

Hansen’s injury is more serious – he is set to be sidelined for up to three months following surgery on a broken wrist.

Wane said: “It’s turned out to be a blessing having Jack able to play both roles so well, it opens up our options.”

Both coaches will name their 19-man squads today. James Child is referee.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-5364889
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Matthew

Re: Wane hints at another signing

Post by Matthew »

All well and good - but who's available?
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Wes

Post by Wes »

What do you suggest Mick go with what we have and attempt to sign no one?
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

josie andrews wrote:SHAUN Wane is scouring Super League and the NRL for a possible new signing to bolster his squad.

The Warriors coach stressed that he is “comfortable” with his current senior panel.

But Gareth Hock’s departure to Widnes under acrimonious circumstances has come at a time when Wane has suffered a large dose of bad luck with injuries.

Second-rowers Chris Tuson and Harrison Hansen, as well as prop Epa Lauki, are all ruled out of Friday’s Super League opener at Salford.

And while he has enough players to cover for their losses, he admits there is room to manoeuvre under the salary cap if he finds a player who could strengthen his squad.

Chairman Ian Lenagan has given him the green-light to recruit, either permanently or on loan. Wane said: “We’re looking, I’ve got room under the cap, and I’ve had chats with Ian and I have his support.

“But I won’t rush into it – I won’t make any panic signings.

“If someone is available who we like then we’ll take a look, but I can honestly say there’s no-one right now who stands out.”

Taking Lauaki, battling a hamstring injury, out of the frame still leaves Wane with five props fighting for four positions (two starting and two on the bench) in the side for Friday’s game – Ben Flower, Lee Mossop, Paul Prescott, Gil Dudson and new-boy Scott Taylor.

In the back-row, Liam Farrell could be joined by either Jack Hughes or Iain Thornley, with the other occupying the left centre role.

Thornley played at centre against Warrington in a friendly last Saturday, and was praised by Wane afterwards – a hint, perhaps, that he will continue with the former Sale RU player in the three-quarters and Hughes in the back-row, at least until Tuson returns from a knee problem in the next couple of weeks.

Hansen’s injury is more serious – he is set to be sidelined for up to three months following surgery on a broken wrist.

Wane said: “It’s turned out to be a blessing having Jack able to play both roles so well, it opens up our options.”

Both coaches will name their 19-man squads today. James Child is referee.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-5364889
This seems to forget where Sale got Thornley from. Former RU player my @®$€.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Wes

Post by Wes »

Mick the Hock situation, regardless of blame, was thrown on the club so for the club to look for a replacement is common sense IMO. That said common sense is not that common any more, how dare the club recognise and try to rectify that we are light in the 2nd row position!!! Tut tut tut.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I have to agree with Mick. When they are all fit we have plenty of back rowers and lets be honest a Hock calibre forward is not available and Wane tends to opt for ubiqutous forward types anyway.

A centre or rather a centre/winger is a very good call IMO.
Wes

Post by Wes »

I'd agree and say yes look for a centre as at a push gelling Hughes and Thornley could fill the back row, at least we can agree that the club would be wise to try and sign a good player.

Mick thinks the club is half arsed and its a waste of time only changing tune after a prompt. The same can be said Mick, what quality centres are available now? Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to sign a good player this late in the day regardless of position.

As to the type of forwards wane likes to sign well CP can't help but agree, that said Thornley was his idea of a centre.....
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It is a difficult scenario. Cap space suddenly available. Availability is a major issue. An opportunity to develop a young player perhaps. I do think Thornley has great potential. Hughes IMO is a better back rower (left) than centre. Faz is better left than right too IMO.
Wes

Post by Wes »

I agree it's hard to say who to go for and target but at least we are looking. Farrell I rate but I don't think he has the size or presence to be a threat from the get go, better off the bench after the initial 20, he's a smart player and runs good lines. Trouble is who do we play with him? IMO we have a good 17 even without hock but as soon as we pick up injuries we are a little thin.

Out of the 19 for Salford which 2 would you drop?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

mickw wrote:The club have known for two years or more that carmont was comming to the end and here we are trying to fit second rowers at centre and centres at second row,that's
What I call half arsed
I told Jack Hughes at the end of 2011 that he would more than likely be moved to centre to replace George.
He said he didn't think he was fast enough to be a centre!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan