Aspinwall

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
robjoenz

Re: Aspinwall

Post by robjoenz »

DaveO posted:
Can anyone see the potential in him to be like Vaekelli?
You don't become a bad player overnight :wink:
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

You don't become a bad player overnight :wink:
I'm not saying he's necessarily bad and it's probably unfair to keep focussing on him. But I have 2 questions - would he have got into some of our sides from the recent past? How close to an international call up is he?
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Sounds like some people get too attached to the past, compare all present players to past players and decide they're 'not from the same mould.'

Aspinwall gets himself a good share of the tries and is solid in defence. He managed to keep Vainakola out of the game against Bradford, good considering he was out of position. He can catch too. He doesn't break the line with every run he takes, but he does sometimes and makes the metres from dummy half. I think he is one of the more underrated players we have.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

robjoenz posted:
Sounds like some people get too attached to the past, compare all present players to past players and decide they're 'not from the same mould.'

Aspinwall gets himself a good share of the tries and is solid in defence. He managed to keep Vainakola out of the game against Bradford, good considering he was out of position. He can catch too. He doesn't break the line with every run he takes, but he does sometimes and makes the metres from dummy half. I think he is one of the more underrated players we have.
:D
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
mario

Post by mario »

DaveO posted:
steve posted:
Not wigan standard simple as!!! We should have got rid of him with Hodgeson. I havent seen him break a tackle yet. In fact I doubt he could even break wind!!!
I agree. He is not a line breaking centre as far as I can see. Can anyone see the potential in him to be like Vaekelli?

I can't say I do. Watching the NZ guy shows what modern centre play is about - power and strenght to break through. I just don't see Aspy ever doing this.

The fact Wild is played as a centre over Aspy is down to his strength and size IMO.

Dave
Why would you want anyone to tackle like Vaeliki?
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

He does dislocate shoulders....even if they do play for the same team
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

mario posted:
Why would you want anyone to tackle like Vaeliki?
That was the point of my joke at the top of the page but no-one seemed to twig! Ho hum.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

robjoenz posted:
I've noticed that. The days of having 16 international players in the squad, and Wigan providing 11 of the GB team, are long gone!
We could go through practically the whole of the present squad and say they're not as good as previous holders of that position. That's why we won just about everything with that team! The fact is, there are few players in SL that would get into that squad.
steve

Post by steve »

Rob Posted He can catch too. He doesn't break the line with every run he takes, but he does sometimes and makes the metres from dummy half.
The thing is. Rads is safe as houses for the catch and can run from dummy half and is an excellent defensive and support player.
Dallas has great pace. Runs from dummy half, puts the big hits in and takes plenty of high tackles.
Carney runs from dummy half, tackles. does a few jinks etc
Aspinwall he can tackle and take the ball from dummy half, but in a big game where the questions need to be asked in the oppositions defence he has nowt different to offer and isnt as good as any of the above. All in all our back line is to samey and needs some bulk and out and out power. [/quote]
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

steve posted:
The thing is. Rads is safe as houses for the catch and can run from dummy half and is an excellent defensive and support player.
Dallas has great pace. Runs from dummy half, puts the big hits in and takes plenty of high tackles.
Carney runs from dummy half, tackles. does a few jinks etc
Aspinwall he can tackle and take the ball from dummy half, but in a big game where the questions need to be asked in the oppositions defence he has nowt different to offer and isnt as good as any of the above. All in all our back line is to samey and needs some bulk and out and out power.
[/quote]

What exactly do you want then? A centre that can't catch or tackle (the rest of them do that) but can do something different like hold the ball between his feet and run on his hands?!?

Seriously though... you watch Aspinwall, see how often he takes the ball from dummy half and see how he takes the same high shots that Dallas takes. Watch his tackling too, strong and reliable, he works very hard. The ball is kicked in high and he catches it, can't always have the FB going for them.

Moran's kick through for him the other day was great but it's not like Aspinwall had no part to play, the catch wasn't an easy one and then he was running out of pitch.

I think you're being a bit hard on him.