Half-backs are making their mark

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Half-backs are making their mark

Post by josie andrews »

SHAUN Wane believes half-back pairing Blake Green and Matty Smith have put down a strong marker for the rest of the campaign.

Questions were asked in the off-season about whether the new-boys could take over from the departed Thomas Leuluai and Brett Finch.

The early signs have been extremely encouraging, with Salford put to the sword on the opening weekend and title-favourites Warrington being pushed all the way in a 17-17 thriller last Friday.

“The halves at Wigan always get talked about but it doesn’t mean anything to me,” Wane acknowledged.

“They don’t feel any pressure from me.

“I just want them to improve every week and when they stop doing that is when I get involved.”

Green was instrumental in creating numerous chances for Wigan against the Wolves with clever passing and a sharp kicking game – something Warriors fans have been craving for some time.

Smith was also sharp despite copping a cut to his face, forcing him to change his bloodied shirt twice and which required seven stitches after the game.

“He looked a bit of a mess in the dressing room but he was posing after,” Wane joked.

“He’s a tough kid but that’s why I signed him – I like him.

“He goes at the line and plays nice and direct.

“He gets belted when he has passed which happened a few times on Friday night, but that’s the sort of half I want.”

Not that Wane was totally pleased with everything he’d witnessed.

“I thought we were a little bit dumb in our attack against Warrington,” he added.

“I’m fairly pleased with a point against a team we’ve struggled against in the past few years, but I think we could’ve been a bit more clinical.

“As a team we are way off the finished article, but there are good signs.”

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-5404425
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
bill.inger

Re: Half-backs are making their mark

Post by bill.inger »

All the top teams have had an outstanding pairing at 6 and 7. I can recall Bradshaw and Mountford playing, then later we had Bolton and Parr during the good days in the fifties. Then, all the best teams during the fifties had top quality half backs, Saints, Barrow, Halifax, Oldham all had memorable pairings. The team revolves round these two plus the loose forward. We waited quite a while for Greg and Edwards to show, then Botica and Edwards and it was another long wait for Finch and Leului. Now I suspect we have a pair of half backs who will carry on improving thro' this season and we'll have them for the next three or four years.
Things are looking good, all we'll be short of is a brute of a winger who can kick goals from anywhere for when Pat calls it a day.
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

bill.inger wrote: All the top teams have had an outstanding pairing at 6 and 7. I can recall Bradshaw and Mountford playing, then later we had Bolton and Parr during the good days in the fifties. Then, all the best teams during the fifties had top quality half backs, Saints, Barrow, Halifax, Oldham all had memorable pairings. The team revolves round these two plus the loose forward. We waited quite a while for Greg and Edwards to show, then Botica and Edwards and it was another long wait for Finch and Leului. Now I suspect we have a pair of half backs who will carry on improving thro' this season and we'll have them for the next three or four years.
Things are looking good, all we'll be short of is a brute of a winger who can kick goals from anywhere for when Pat calls it a day.
To think we had Johnny Alty reserve to TB. He would have walked into a few other teams.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

bill.inger wrote: All the top teams have had an outstanding pairing at 6 and 7. I can recall Bradshaw and Mountford playing, then later we had Bolton and Parr during the good days in the fifties. Then, all the best teams during the fifties had top quality half backs, Saints, Barrow, Halifax, Oldham all had memorable pairings. The team revolves round these two plus the loose forward. We waited quite a while for Greg and Edwards to show, then Botica and Edwards and it was another long wait for Finch and Leului. Now I suspect we have a pair of half backs who will carry on improving thro' this season and we'll have them for the next three or four years.
Good summary there bill.inger.I also was very impressed with what I saw on Friday night.Whilst being as concerned as most on here about the loss of both Tommy &Finchy at the same time.I feel that we have a decent couple of half backs that could carry us along for several seasons to come.My only worry is that we have a culture of allowing other clubs to poach our top players without it seems putting up too much of a fight.But then I'm not privvy to the inner workings of the club. :D
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I'll echo those thoughts. Smith and Blake have certainly filled the void so far and bedded in well together. With Sam Powell good to step in as and when, we are covered at half back.

Then I look at Saints who have tried Lomax, Gaskell, Wheeler, Hohaia, Wilkin in the halves since Pryce & Long and still have not come up with a combination that even 20% of the fans are happy with.

We are reet!
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

and also Ryan Hampshire from what I have seen of him.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:and also Ryan Hampshire from what I have seen of him.
Saw him for the first time courtesy of Wigan TV last week and he really looks the part.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Add George Williams to the list as well. Also a pity that Chris Taylor got a bad injury.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Add George Williams to the list as well. Also a pity that Chris Taylor got a bad injury.
Chris has been back in training for a while now!
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Kittwazzer wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Chris has been back in training for a while now!
Yes but the injury was a big setback in term of his development. Let's hope it doesn't have the same impact as it did with Joe Mellor. The other problem is that he will have to prove himself quickly as the retainment process has been brought forward due to the abolition of the reserves. I, for one, hope he does as before his injury he was showing excellent potential.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards