Need I say more??

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Need I say more??

Post by Mike »

Watching the highlights (15mins) we were all over them - its pretty amazing they kept us out. We were practically over the line 4 more times, just held up inches short. Play this match again and you'd get another outcome.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
devon jim 1

Post by devon jim 1 »

No you don't we all know your views,but the season has only just started. Eary days yet Kol!
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

I appreciate that it is early season but I am starting to swing towards Kol's POV. We finished last season badly, unable to win big games. We've started this season unable to win big games and despite a good showing against Wire, we still didn't beat them (again) and couldn't convert a 0-10 lead against Hudds into 2pts.
There are the same concerns for me about Wane as there was last season, which, last season I put down to it being his first season as a SL head coach.
For me it's the 'no plan B' aspect that I find really worrying. In every game Wane has been coach, we play one way and if that isn't enough, it isn't enough. We/he doesn't have the knack of being tactically aware enough to adjust things to engineer a win when we're up against it in the way that a Tony Smith or Brian McDermott can. And for me that's a worry. It's the one thing I wanted to see changed this season and so far I've seen nothing to convince me that we haven't just picked up from where we were at the end of last season, just with a smaller, younger and less experienced squad.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
KaylaRobbo

Post by KaylaRobbo »

So wasn't Leeds hiding quietly in the background - 'you win some you lose some' - and then look what happened there? C'mon guys 3 real games in - all to play for........
Kol

Post by Kol »

Kiwiseddon wrote:I appreciate that it is early season but I am starting to swing towards Kol's POV. We finished last season badly, unable to win big games. We've started this season unable to win big games and despite a good showing against Wire, we still didn't beat them (again) and couldn't convert a 0-10 lead against Hudds into 2pts.
There are the same concerns for me about Wane as there was last season, which, last season I put down to it being his first season as a SL head coach.
For me it's the 'no plan B' aspect that I find really worrying. In every game Wane has been coach, we play one way and if that isn't enough, it isn't enough. We/he doesn't have the knack of being tactically aware enough to adjust things to engineer a win when we're up against it in the way that a Tony Smith or Brian McDermott can. And for me that's a worry. It's the one thing I wanted to see changed this season and so far I've seen nothing to convince me that we haven't just picked up from where we were at the end of last season, just with a smaller, younger and less experienced squad.
SPOT ON.
No one is to stone anybody until I blow this whistle!
Kol

Post by Kol »

SW does not have the ability to have or concieve a plan B.

Thrashing a team with issues that nearly folded close season does not demonstrate a great coach with winning strategies.

Winning big games (Hudds, Wire) wins the club silverware; something we cannot do.

No one is to stone anybody until I blow this whistle!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kiwiseddon wrote:I appreciate that it is early season but I am starting to swing towards Kol's POV. We finished last season badly, unable to win big games. We've started this season unable to win big games and despite a good showing against Wire, we still didn't beat them (again) and couldn't convert a 0-10 lead against Hudds into 2pts.
For me it's the 'no plan B' aspect that I find really worrying. In every game Wane has been coach, we play one way and if that isn't enough, it isn't enough.
This is a copy and paste of a post on rlfans by Wigan/Leeds Andy:

We could have played all day near their line and not scored. The play was too one dimensional, too slow and too shallow, added to Huddersfield good defence. We did our best work in the first half playing deeper, further up the field.

There didn't seem any variation on the set-up move we have, Huddersfield worked it out in the 2nd half and we didn't respond. There were no dummy runners coming back on the inside to confuse the defence (like Warrington do), or any cut out passes to our winger given the way their winger was coming in to tackle the centre.

We/he doesn't have the knack of being tactically aware enough to adjust things to engineer a win when we're up against it in the way that a Tony Smith or Brian McDermott can. And for me that's a worry.
If W/L/A is correct, Hudds coach worked out what we were doing on attack, counter-acted it and then it was game over as far as Wigan scoring was concerned.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

It's far too early to panic but the most worrying feature was that we couldn't score for 68 minutes after going 10-0 up.

You can't win every match (OK, I know we all want to) but we rarely have trouble scoring.
And after all the talk about Gelling being converted to a forward - how come he was the first choice to go on the wing?
jobo

Post by jobo »

Hudds are a pretty good outfit, especially now that they've regained their team spirit. I don't think there was a lot wrong with our attack and our defence was awesome at times.

Time after time we were patient, used our sets wisely and gained good ground and position, only for Brough to launch a monster kick down field. He, like Sinfield last year, had too much time to dictate where we had to restart play and it told in the end.

I reckon that was the only difference between us and it's something SW must be working on.

slimshady

Post by slimshady »

Kol wrote:
SPOT ON.
Correct he's talking as much shite as you are!