Castleford Tigers chief executive Steve Ferres steps down from position

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Castleford Tigers chief executive Steve Ferres steps down from position

Post by josie andrews »

Steve Ferres has resigned his position as chief executive of Super League club Castleford with immediate effect.

Former Wakefield CEO Ferres was appointed in July and has since launched a successful membership scheme and overseen a 25 per cent rise in season ticket sales.

But, in an apparent parting shot at the board, the Tigers supporter said a failure to secure new investment was behind his decision to step down.

No Option

"Since the board is not in a position to support the multitude of changes that I believe must take place now in order for Castleford to continue to compete at Super League level, I feel I have no option other than to offer my resignation.

"I am an extremely proud man and a proud Castleford man at that so please rest assured that this decision was not made lightly.

"The club requires significant investment in order to continue and I truly hope the board can secure the necessary financial support in the coming months.

"I have informed the board that I am willing to offer my support in an advisory capacity should it be required."

Opportunity

Castleford Tigers chairman Jack Fulton issued the following statement: "I would like to thank Steve for his efforts during his time at the club and wish him well for the future.

"For over 20 years I have supported this club financially to a substantial amount with the aim of keeping it going as a Super League club ready for the day when it can support itself.

"While disappointed by Steve's resignation, this position remains unchanged. We look to the future and a real opportunity now exists for somebody new to come into the chief executive's role and drive the club forward."

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... m-position
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Ron Doran

Re: Castleford Tigers chief executive Steve Ferres steps down from position

Post by Ron Doran »

£19 a ticket - was he responsible?
E.& O.E.
markill

Post by markill »

Ron Doran wrote:£19 a ticket - was he responsible?
everyones ticket prices are at that level Ron, so I would say probably not no.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Ron Doran

Post by Ron Doran »

markill - You do surprise me. Thanks for the gen.
E.& O.E.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Fozzard follows Ferres out of Cas

Castleford have confirmed the departure of commercial manager Nick Fozzard.

Fozzard, 36, quit after 11 months in the job, just a week after chief executive Steve Ferres stepped down from his post at the Super League club.

The Tigers also announced that Fozzard's wife Sarah has resigned as marketing manager with immediate effect. She was appointed on a short-term basis last summer to help deliver the club's membership scheme.

Fozzard was appointed last March, just days after bringing to an end his 19-year playing career with Leeds, Huddersfield, Warrington, St Helens, Hull KR, Castleford, Dewsbury and Great Britain after failing to recover from a shoulder injury.

"It is with regret that today I have resigned from the Castleford Tigers Rugby League Football Club," he said on his Twitter account.

Ferres resigned his post seven months after taking over from Richard Wright, citing differences with the club's directors, and head of youth development Steve Gill was appointed to the role on a temporary basis.

Gill said: "It is with disappointment that we confirm the departures of Sarah and Nick from the club. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank them both for their efforts.

"The membership scheme has been a fantastic introduction to the club and Sarah played no small part in its delivery. We wish her well.

"Nick's transition from player to commercial manager was amazing to see. We hope that his next venture in life is prosperous and one that gives him fulfilment.

"The aim of all remaining staff is to roll our sleeves up and ensure the backroom team are in a position to make the most of the positive start to the season made by the players and coaching staff."

Castleford chairman Jack Fulton has moved to reassure fans of his financial support for the Super League club in the wake of further resignations from the backroom staff.

"This club has been built on loyalty and passion for approaching 90 years," said Fulton.

"It has had plenty of ups and downs behind the scenes and it no doubt will in future.

"While this last week has been a turbulent one off the pitch and this situation is not ideal by any stretch, the club will continue to deliver a side competing in Super League as the team has done so proudly against much bigger, more fancied clubs than ourselves so far this season.

"I'd like to assure fans of the club's future by reiterating that the driving force of my financing of this great club is keeping it going as a Super League operation ready for the day when it can support itself and this position remains unchanged.

"I have faith in Steve Gill and the existing staff members that they are united and will continue to do this club proud in the weeks to come whilst we recruit more people who want to be at the club and help us realise our aims."

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-leagu ... out-of-cas
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan