Salford City Reds: Bobbie Goulding has head coach ambition

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Salford City Reds: Bobbie Goulding has head coach ambition

Post by josie andrews »

Bobbie Goulding believes Salford City Reds supporters want him to become the club's new head coach.

The former Great Britain scrum-half, 41, has been out of work since his contract with the French national team was not renewed.

"I want the job and I think I'm the fans' favourite, I think that's been said on Twitter," he said.“

They've got the backing now and I think they'll be the Manchester City of rugby league”

Goulding had a hugely successful playing career that began at Wigan, but most of his achievements came at St Helens where he won the Super League in 1996 and played in back-to-back Challenge Cup successes at Wembley in 1996 and 1997.

He also had spells at Leeds, Widnes, St Helens, Huddersfield and played for Salford towards the end of his career, but before taking the France job his coaching experience was limited to two short spells at Rochdale.

Salford have been without a head coach since Phil Veivers was sacked by multi-millionaire owner Dr Marvan Koukash, but caretaker Alan Hunte has also expressed his desire for the role.

Goulding revealed that if he did take over at the Salford City Stadium, he would ask 33-year-old former France prop David Ferriol to join him.

"I know that if I took over the Salford coaching job now, David Ferriol would come out of retirement," he added.

"David Ferriol will come and play for Salford rugby league club if Bobbie Goulding takes over or has some association with the club on the coaching staff."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/21799500?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kittwazzer

Re: Salford City Reds: Bobbie Goulding has head coach ambition

Post by Kittwazzer »

Somehow, I don't think Dr Koukash made his investment to set up a 'last chance saloon' for ageing hasbeens!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Kittwazzer wrote:Somehow, I don't think Dr Koukash made his investment to set up a 'last chance saloon' for ageing hasbeens!
Neither did I, but you know how Goulding likes blowing his own trumpet :wink:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
markill

Post by markill »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Brian Smith is the name being heavily linked with the job
well as long as Goulding still has some association with the coaching staff then they still might draw Ferriol out of retirement. Fingers crossed logic prevails eh!?
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote:
"I want the job and I think I'm the fans' favourite, I think that's been said on Twitter," he said.“
Probably by someone called Bobbie Goulding.

With Koukash and his dosh and Lowe's know-how Goulding is the last sort of person I'd expect them to go for. Next to no coaching experience and from a bygone era (even if he is only 41).

Salford need someone like Madge who can get the team they have punching above it's weight by adopting good tactics and being well conditioned physically.

If they can find someone like that it won't take them long to start knocking over the likes of London and Cas on a regular basis without a massive recruitment drive. Then it will be much easer to convince better players to go there.

If on the other hand for some inexplicable reason Goulding does end up as coach I am afraid Mr Koukash's credibility would plummet.
Ron Doran

Post by Ron Doran »

Perhaps wee Bobby may have some competition for the post...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/21871728
E.& O.E.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Story in today's Mirror about Tony & Brian Smith is the most confused I have ever read!
KaylaRobbo

Post by KaylaRobbo »

Goulding's whole remark smacks of desperation to me!!!
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Read on bbc sport that koukash would be honoured if Brian Noble would take the job. Nailed On Then
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Sorry must be asleep just seen Rons link :cool: :slee: