Taylor excited for first derby

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Blackpool_Pie

Taylor excited for first derby

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Wigan prop Scott Taylor is expecting Friday's derby between the Warriors and St Helens to surpass anything he has experienced in Super League before.

The 22-year-old will be playing in the fixture for the first time.

He told BBC Radio Manchester: "They've told me it's the biggest game of the season and I can only imagine what the atmosphere's going to be like.

"I've played in a Hull FC-Rovers derby in front of 20,000. It's going to be like that, but bigger and better."

England international Taylor added: "It's the one the fans want the most. It's about bragging rights for teams. When it comes around, everyone's got a lot of adrenaline and everyone's ready to rip into it."

The rivalry between Wigan and St Helens is one of the fiercest in English rugby league, which was exemplified by the four fixtures between the two clubs in 2012.

Four players were sent off, including three as a result of a 26-man brawl in the Magic Weekend meeting in May.

Wigan comfortably won that game at the Etihad Stadium, as well as emerging victorious from their first visit to Langtree Park a month earlier and also knocking Saints out of the Challenge Cup at the quarter-final stage.

St Helens, then under the stewardship of Mike Rush, won 26-18 at the DW Stadium in the final match of the regular season, although they were helped by the early dismissal of Warriors hooker Michael McIlorum.

Both sides are currently lying within a point of Super League leaders Huddersfield Giants, adding to the importance of their first meeting in 2013.

Taylor, who is hoping to face his old club Hull KR on Monday, has admitted he will take a keen interest in how his former colleagues are getting on when they take on their local rivals Hull FC later in the day.

"It would be nice to watch that one," he said. "I'm so excited to have my first Wigan-Saints derby coming up, but it will be nice to sit down and enjoy a Hull derby.

"I've got a lot of mates at Hull KR and I know how big it is for those two clubs. I'll definitely be watching it and will be glued to the television like any other fan."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/21930849

Edited for easier reading :) - Josie
josie andrews

Re: Taylor excited for first derby

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun Looking Forward To Good Friday

The countdown is on to Good Friday and the derby day clash against St Helens at the DW, 12.15pm kick off.

The sides are level in the Super League table on 11 points, Wigan 2nd, Saints in 5th split only by points difference. Wigan go into the game on the back of a 62-4 home win over Widnes Vikings while St Helens were 14-10 victors over Salford in a game played in awful conditions at Langtree Park pn Friday night.

It's the first meeting between the two sides in 2013 and speaking at the pre-match press conference on Tuesday lunchtime Warriors Head Coach Shaun Wane told us he is excited about the prospect of facing Nathan Brown's side,

"Players from both sides know what this means to the fans and to the Club to win these games and there will be alot of desire shown by both sides to win. Past form counts for nothing, this is a one off and it has the makings of a fantastic game.

"I think whoever dominates the middle will win the game, I hope it's us, I am sure Nathan will be saying the same to their team. It's all on the day, who wants it the most. I understand St Helens are a quality team regardless of the players they have out and are a team that can score tries from anywhere. If we go into the game not mentally prepared then we will get turned over."

Asked who the threats in the Saints side were, Shaun added,

"I think Jonny Lomax has been playing outstandingly well and so has Jon Wilkin for them on the edge. They have quality all over the park, Meli on the wing but for me Lomax is the one, his form has been fantastic this season."

There are now less than 200 tickets remaining in the Wigan section of the Stadium ( as at 10am on Wednesday morning.)

Limited tickets for the biggest derby in Rugby League still remain, book now to avoid disappointment, in person at the DW Stadium, by calling the Ticket Office Hotline on 0871 66 33 552 (calls cost 10p per minute from a BT landline) and online click here.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Smith cant wait for Saints

Matty Smith says he "cant wait" to face his old club St Helens as Wigan get ready for the Good Friday derby.

It will be Smiths first Wigan/Saints derby since playing against the Warriors in the 2010 Grand Final.

Speaking exclusively to Wigan TV he said:

"I still speak to a few of the Saints lads. Paul Wellens has been giving me some stick.

The Saints pack is fantastic. We've got to stop them."

To see the full interview - along with Shaun Wane's thoughts AND some classic Wigan/Saints clashes - head to www.wiganwarriors.com/tv and sign up now

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Good piece with Piggy Riddell in the Observer.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charnley charged up for Saints

NOTHING comes close to beating St Helens – according to Josh Charnley.

The jet-heeled winger edged towards peak form with four first-half tries against Widnes on Saturday as the Warriors revved-up for tomorrow’s blockbuster in style. And with a capacity crowd expected, clearly it isn’t just Charnley who shares the same passion.

“It’s always big – everyone gets pumped for it and takes it to heart. There’s no other feeling,” said Charnley.

“Everyone’s more pumped for it because it’s for bragging rights. If you lose you take it to heart, but to win is a massive honour.”

The traditional Easter fixture has been dominated in recent times by Wigan, who had the honour of winning the last derby at Knowsley Road in 2010 and the first at Langtree Park last year.

Sandwiched in between was Wigan’s adrenaline-fueled 28-24 win at the DW Stadium in 2011, when Liam Farrell snatched the game with ‘that’ try in the dying seconds.

Charnley expects tomorrow’s clash to be just as thrilling.

“I’m really looking forward to it,” he added. “I was pretty disappointed with my performance at Leeds, so to get four tries against Widnes was a good way of showing it. I had a good chat with the coaching staff, and a look at what went right and wrong.”

On a personal level, Charnley will be up against Francis Meli – and the England star admits it will take a special performance to get the better of his imposing opposite number.

“Especially when you’re coming up against an experienced winger like Meli,” Charnley acknowledged.

“I’m looking forward to the challenge and hopefully I can do well.

“He’s a big powerful bloke so I will have to make the right movements at the right time to get round him.”

Tomorrow’s game will undoubtedly see Wane’s troops take physical punishment and, with a daunting trip to Hull KR on Easter Monday, preparation is key.

But Charnley has every confidence the Warriors will be able to back up.

“Everyone is going to be tired but we have the best back room staff here so I think we’ll be all right,” he recognised.

WARRIORS confirmed yesterday that the Good Friday clash with St Helens is a sell-out.

Sky Sports will screen the game live, kick-off at the DW Stadium is 12.15pm.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-5536618
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Apparently, 'so I've been told' :wink:, Nathan Brown has said 'It's only a two point game'!!!

Think he'll be in for a one hell of a big surprise :lol:

I don't think the Saints supporters will feel too kindly about this comment from their leader :wink: