Petitioning Iain Duncan Smith

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
josie andrews

Petitioning Iain Duncan Smith

Post by josie andrews »

Iain Duncan Smith's declaration on yesterday's Today programme that he could live on £53 a week ("If I had to, I would") has inevitably prompted journalists to ask his ministerial colleagues whether they could match the Work and Pensions Secretary's frugality. Below is how they've so far responded; I'll update the list as more answers come in. In the meantime, the petition urging IDS to "prove his claim" has now garnered 218,030 signatures.

Iain Duncan Smith

"If I had to, I would."

David Cameron

A Downing Street spokesman said: "The Prime Minister, like the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, feels that benefit levels are fair."

George Osborne

"I don’t think it's sensible to reduce this to a debate about one individual's personal circumstances. This debate is not about any individual."

Greg Clark (Financial Secretary to the Treasury)

"I think it’s an incredible struggle to do that and I think any MP, anyone earning the comfortable wage that an MP has would certainly struggle.

"I think the context is this – we’re all having to tighten our belts…right across the board there are difficult choices to be made, it is an incredibly difficult situation."

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... responded
Iain Duncan Smith: Iain Duncan Smith to live on £53 a week.

This petition will be delivered to:

Department for Work and Pensions
Iain Duncan Smith

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/i ... -53-a-week
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
doc

Re: Petitioning Iain Duncan Smith

Post by doc »

All ready signed after spotting the link on another forum.

What these people forget is that while they may get by on that sort of money (£53 p/w) for one week people who are in the unfortunate position of having to claim benefits may have to do so for months or even years.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

doc wrote:All ready signed after spotting the link on another forum.

What these people forget is that while they may get by on that sort of money (£53 p/w) for one week people who are in the unfortunate position of having to claim benefits may have to do so for months or even years.
I've said that so many times doc.

These millionaire politicians never have to worry about paying for soaring fuel, engery or food prices :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
BriH

Post by BriH »

josie andrews wrote:Iain Duncan Smith's declaration on yesterday's Today programme that he could live on £53 a week ("If I had to, I would") has inevitably prompted journalists to ask his ministerial colleagues whether they could match the Work and Pensions Secretary's frugality. Below is how they've so far responded; I'll update the list as more answers come in. In the meantime, the petition urging IDS to "prove his claim" has now garnered 218,030 signatures.

Iain Duncan Smith

"If I had to, I would."

David Cameron

A Downing Street spokesman said: "The Prime Minister, like the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, feels that benefit levels are fair."

George Osborne

"I don’t think it's sensible to reduce this to a debate about one individual's personal circumstances. This debate is not about any individual."

Greg Clark (Financial Secretary to the Treasury)

"I think it’s an incredible struggle to do that and I think any MP, anyone earning the comfortable wage that an MP has would certainly struggle.

"I think the context is this – we’re all having to tighten our belts…right across the board there are difficult choices to be made, it is an incredibly difficult situation."

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... responded
Iain Duncan Smith: Iain Duncan Smith to live on £53 a week.

This petition will be delivered to:

Department for Work and Pensions
Iain Duncan Smith

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/i ... -53-a-week
Already signed it. IDS thinks it (petition) is a big joke.
Can't wait for him and the rest of this Tory led Govt to be booted out.