Hansen and Mossop Close to Return

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Hansen and Mossop Close to Return

Post by josie andrews »

After a successful Easter period with two great wins over St Helens and Hull KR the Warriors return to Super League action this Sunday with the visit of the Wakefield Trinity Wildcats to the DW Stadium, 3pm kick off.

On the injury front Gil Dudson returned to the side on Monday following his broken bone in his hand and Head Coach Shaun Wane has revealed that both Harrison Hansen and Lee Mossop are now not too far away to returning to the side, he told us,

"We'll take a good look at them later this week and make a decision, but they are both really close.

"They could be available for the Wakefield game."

If not Sunday the pair are almost certain to be back for the game at Bradford the Sunday after. The return of the pair is a timely boost for the Warriors with the start of the Tetley's Challenge Cup later this month and the team top of the Super League after 10 rounds of action.

This would leave just Paul Prescott and Epalahame Lauaki sidelined.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... 087&type=1
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Hansen and Mossop Close to Return

Post by josie andrews »

Double boost for Wane

LEE Mossop and Harrison Hansen are inching closer to a return to action.

And the senior forwards could even make their comebacks in Sunday’s home clash against Wakefield.

Mossop has been sidelined since February with a dislocated shoulder and forward Hansen hasn’t figured at all this year following pre-season wrist surgery.

Shaun Wane said: “We’ll take a good look at them later this week and make a decision, but they are both really close.

“They could be available for the Wakefield game.

“But if they’re not 100 per cent, we won’t risk them, I’ll hold them back a week for the Bradford game.”

Kiwi utility Anthony Gelling is also close to returning, and with Gil Dudson back from a broken hand on Monday, Wane is nearing a full complement of players to choose from.

Only props Epa Lauaki and Paul Prescott are sidelined for longer spells.

Winger Josh Charnley hobbled off after opening the scoring in the 84-6 win at Hull KR with a nasty gash down his leg, which required 15 stitches.

But Wane revealed yesterday that the injury should not sideline the 11-try flyer for a long spell.

And with an end in sight for his early-season injury woes, he is looking forward to having a selection headache which he welcomes.

For many games this season, Wane’s team has been dictated to him by injuries, and he has frequently praised the fringe players such as Greg Burke and Dom Crosby for doing so well.

On Monday, Tom Spencer made his first appearance of the year and performed strongly.

Forward Burke has figured in every match since his debut against Warrington.

But Wane (above) says he won’t hesitate to bring the injured players back in and give them a chance to claim back their old spots.

“Those coming back will have a chance, that’s the right thing to do,” he said.

“Lee Mossop has played well for me, my memory is good and he will get a chance in the team.

“If he’s up to the standard he will stay in, if not he knows other players will.

“I’m looking forward to having them back.”

Wane reckons their return will intensify competition for places and he is looking forward to being able to decide who to leave out of his table-topping outfit.

“ It’ll be a good feeling to have a selection headache because I’ve not had one all year,” he said.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-5544400
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

And the thing is, Hansen and Mossop are going to have to really fight to get a place in the team. What a fantastic position for the club to be in!
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

We need to find some way of getting Sam T fully fit

Team;

Sam T
Josh C
Daz G
I Thornley
P Richards
B Green
M Smith
Pack to follow
markill

Post by markill »

If I had to name one, it would be:

Sam Tomkins
Josh Charnley
Daz Goulding
Iain Thornley
Pat Richards
Blake Green
Matty Smith
Gil Dudson
Mike McIlorum
Lee Mossop
Harrison Hansen
Liam Farrell
Sean O'Loughlin

Scott Taylor
Jack Hughes
Ben Flower
Logan Tomkins

I'm just happy our squad has shown it has some depth as there will be injuries. CP is right about Sam, and if we keep Green, Smith, Lockers and McIlorum all fit too when knock out football is played then we can work around with the rest from our squad and still beat anyone.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

pieater-alex wrote:I've changed my pack already. :lol:

Taylor/Mossop to start.

Crosby bench.
Flower or Dudson the other spot.

I can't decide.

The pack is a mare. The reserves are too :)
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Sam
Josh
Daz
Iain
Pat
Green
Smith
Dudson
MM
Mossop
HH
Faz
Lockers

Taylor
Flower
Tuson
Hughes/Powell (Depending on the opposition)
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
cumbria_warrior

Post by cumbria_warrior »

What a great thing to have, a headache over who to play in the team. That must be a first for some years, as over the past few you could almost write the starting line up and mostly get the same players
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

cpwigan wrote:We need to find some way of getting Sam T fully fit

Team;

Sam T
Josh C
Daz G
I Thornley
P Richards
B Green
M Smith
Pack to follow
:D That's the easy bit :) although I agree we need to find time to get Sam T back to full fitness.

My pack would be

Dudson
Micky Mac
Moz
H
Faz
Lockers

Bench
Taylor
Crosby
Flower
Powell

Dom has been a revelation this year so would get the pick in my first 17, same for Scott Taylor who is growing into his role every week, although I would like to see them rested for some games. Ben F gets the nod for the third spot as he can cover prop and second row. Sam P gets the last spot as he can cover for Micky Mac and in the backline. Again I would like to see him rotated with Logan during the course of the season

I didn't want to leave out Tuson, Hughes or Logan :conf: but as said by Pie-eater Alex against some teams one would replace Sam P if we wanted more grunt on the bench.

I've just realised I haven't even mentioned Eric or Preccers. So I would replace a fully fit, firing on all cylinders Prescott for Dudson, who would drop to the bench and err Taylor would drop out my first 17 :doz: A fully fit Eric would only be a bit part player.
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#