Taylor: Best is yet to come

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Taylor: Best is yet to come

Post by josie andrews »

SCOTT Taylor is finally feeling happy with his form at Wigan – but has vowed there’s a lot more to come from him.

The 22-year-old was recruited from Hull KR during the off-season to bolster the front-row department, following Jeff Lima’s return to the NRL with Souths.

By his own admission, he made a modest start to life as a Warrior.

But he has caught the eye in recent weeks with a string of powerful displays, the last of which came in an 84-6 victory against his former club in which Taylor made a staggering 172 metres with the ball – nearly a third of what the entire Hull KR team made!

“When I came here, I wanted to hit the ground running,” he said. “But coming into a team like Wigan, with a different mentality and different structures, I knew it would be tough at first.

“Obviously it was testing in the early weeks, it was a case of putting my foot in the water and seeing how things were.

“But over the last three or four weeks I’m getting up to playing how I know I can, and I want to kick on from here.

“I’m really comfortable in the team, everyone’s bouncing off each other and there’s a great spirit.”

At 22, Taylor is one of a clutch of young front-rowers who have helped power Wigan to the top of the Super League ladder after 10 rounds. And he should have done enough to cling on to a place in the 17 for Sunday’s visit of Wakefield, whether or not injured stars Lee Mossop and Harrison Hansen come back into the frame or not.

“I’ve only just turned 22 so I know I’ve got a lot to learn,” said the Hull-born front-rower, who played for England against the Exiles last year.

“Having Waney as a head coach is brilliant for me.

“He’s already taught me so much in a short period of time.”

Wigan were the only Super League team to emerge from the congested Easter weekend with all four points. And with their landslide victory at Hull KR one of several blow-out scorelines, it triggered questions about the logic of playing two matches in such a short space of time.

Widnes’ Denis Betts, London’s Tony Rea and Taylor’s former boss, Craig Sandercock, are among those wanting it scrapped.

“It’s tough, but it’s not as hard as some people make it out to be,” added Taylor, who also played in the Good Friday victory against St Helens.

“It’s alright moaning, but it’s the same for everyone, it’s about how you react as a team.”

Robert Hicks is referee for Sunday’s match (3pm KO).

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-5549451
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan