Warriors Name 19 Man Squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Warriors Name 19 Man Squad

Post by josie andrews »

Warriors Head Coach Shaun Wane has today named his 19 man squad for Sunday's home Super League clash against the Wakefield Trinity Wildcats at the DW Stadium, 3pm kick off.

Both Skipper Sean O'Loughlin and Winger Josh Charnley miss out through injury, Sean is suffering from a back injury which also saw him miss Monday's big win at Hull KR and Josh is ruled out following stitches in an ankle wound.

Included in the 19 for the first time since the loss at Huddersfield in February is Winger Anthony Gelling who has recovered from a knee injury.

Wigan Warriors 19 Man Squad ( In alphabetical order.)

Greg Burke, Dom Crosby, Gil Dudson, Liam Farrell, Ben Flower, Anthony Gelling, Darrell Goulding, Blake Green, Jack Hughes, Michael McIlorum, Sam Powell, Pat Richards, Tom Spencer, Matty Smith, Scott Taylor, Iain Thornley, Logan Tomkins, Sam Tomkins, Chris Tuson

Referee - R Hicks

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Southern Softy

Re: Warriors Name 19 Man Squad

Post by Southern Softy »

I thought Gelling was being trained to become a forward. Please don't let him loose on the wing again.

I'd settle for either DG on the wing and Hughes inside or Powell on the wing as a straight swap or Thornley to the wing with Hughes inside but personally, I think there's some mileage in making Logan a utility back - he seems to have endless stamina and enthusiasm.

He wouldn't let us down wherever he played.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

That's still a nineteen most coaches would kill for.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
markill

Post by markill »

Would have been nice to see one of the Academy outside backs get a crack
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Fernando Player

Post by Fernando Player »

I think I would rather see Hughes in centre with Thornley shipped out to the wing; Hughes had an absolute stormer on Monday and he deserves a spot in the thirteen for me. With Gelling on the bench, it would give us an option to mix it up during the match. All in all, it's a nineteen that's capable of beating the best in super league, even without a number of big names!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Fernando Player wrote:I think I would rather see Hughes in centre with Thornley shipped out to the wing; Hughes had an absolute stormer on Monday and he deserves a spot in the thirteen for me. With Gelling on the bench, it would give us an option to mix it up during the match. All in all, it's a nineteen that's capable of beating the best in super league, even without a number of big names!
It certainly is. Especially when you think our biggest rivals are playing a full back and a loose forward in the halves!
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Kittwazzer wrote:
Fernando Player wrote:I think I would rather see Hughes in centre with Thornley shipped out to the wing; Hughes had an absolute stormer on Monday and he deserves a spot in the thirteen for me. With Gelling on the bench, it would give us an option to mix it up during the match. All in all, it's a nineteen that's capable of beating the best in super league, even without a number of big names!
It certainly is. Especially when you think our biggest rivals are playing a full back and a loose forward in the halves!

At the beginning of the season we would have been downhearted about this team selection, how quickly we change, well done Wayne lets give credit to the guy.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

If a player has a couple of bad games a season we forgive him, but if a coach does we want to sack him. I remember when Pat Richards came to the club some fans wanted to send him back, but he is now a legend and possibly one of our best signings. There was moans about Mattie Smith and Blake Green not being good enough for Wigan, I for one would not swap them for Tommy and Finch, we have a much better kicking game now than we have ever had.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

ddtftf wrote:If a player has a couple of bad games a season we forgive him, but if a coach does we want to sack him.Correct. As Graeme West and Frank Endacott would testify. Then we had Dorothy and Agent Millward!

I remember when Pat Richards came to the club some fans wanted to send him back,Most fans actually! but he is now a legend and possibly one of our best signings.

There was moans about Mattie Smith and Blake Green not being good enough for Wigan,in fairness, they were a hard act to replace! I for one would not swap them for Tommy and Finch, me neither now. They have both hit the ground running, something neither Tommy nor Finch did. And they can only get betterwe have a much better kicking game now than we have ever had.
I think we have a better overall squad full stop. The youngsters who have stepped up have been brilliant and considering the ones we have as WIP, the future looks awesome!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

ddtftf wrote:If a player has a couple of bad games a season we forgive him, but if a coach does we want to sack him. I remember when Pat Richards came to the club some fans wanted to send him back, but he is now a legend and possibly one of our best signings. There was moans about Mattie Smith and Blake Green not being good enough for Wigan, I for one would not swap them for Tommy and Finch, we have a much better kicking game now than we have ever had.
Never moaned about amy of them. I actually think Tommy was a very dificult but unique halfback to fit into a team plan. I will never be sure if he was a better hooker than a half back personally.