Wakefield warrior Richard Mathers

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Rugby League star Richard Mathers has fans shaking their heads in amazement and crossing their legs in sympathy after admitting he played a full game with a ruptured testicle.

And to make matters worse for the tough-as-nails Wakefield full-back, his team lost the match to Wigan last Sunday.

Mathers revealed he suffered the grisly injury the very first time he touched the ball, but didn't notice he had a problem until THE NEXT DAY.

"The doctor said he'd never seen such trauma in that area," he explained.

"I got a knee flush on my right testicle in the first carry of the game. I got a foot injury later in the game and it wasn't until I got in the shower on Monday morning that I noticed there was a lot of swelling."

Horrifyingly, Mathers is the second Super League player to suffer this particular injury in a matter of months.

Warrington's Paul Wood suffered the eye-watering fate in October's Grand Final - and also played on.

Mathers told BBC Radio Leeds: "I can't thank the club doctor enough. My main concern was my foot, but as soon as I asked him to examine my testicle, he told me priorities had changed.

"I had an ultrasound and then the surgeon told me there was a good chance that I was going to have to have it removed.

"You don't expect something this serious to happen. I've had two knee reconstructions and you expect cuts and bruises but to potentially lose a testicle is life changing.

"When I first woke up after surgery my first question was 'have I got one or two?' I've got to have complete rest for the next two weeks."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-le ... 2Q01dHtJP
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kittwazzer

Re: 'I played whole game with a ruptured testicle': Wakefield warrior Richard...

Post by Kittwazzer »

Josie. Couldn't you have just typed 'Richie Mathers' as your headline?

**eyeswatering**
cpwigan

Re: 'I played whole game with a ruptured testicle': Wakefield warrior Richard...

Post by cpwigan »

He went off injured did he not so the whole game? Did he not gesture or throw the ball at the South Stand at one point? Testicle or no testicle did anybody notice any differwence? He was poop!
josie andrews

Wakefield warrior Richard...

Post by josie andrews »

cpwigan wrote:He went off injured did he not so the whole game? Did he not gesture or throw the ball at the South Stand at one point? Testicle or no testicle did anybody notice any differwence? He was poop!
cpwigan wrote:He went off injured did he not so the whole game? Did he not gesture or throw the ball at the South Stand at one point? Testicle or no testicle did anybody notice any differwence? He was poop!
:roll:
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

:roll:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Is that better?

Thought it was eyecatching before :lol:
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

josie andrews wrote:
Is that better?

Thought it was eyecatching before :lol:
Much better. It was 'eye watering'!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mathers praises doctors after testicle rupture

RICHIE Mathers praised doctors for saving one of his testicles after it was ruptured playing against Wigan on Sunday.

The former Warriors full-back revealed yesterday that he sustained the injury during his first carry of the match for Wakefield, who lost 44-24.

The 29-year-old under-went emergency surgery at St James’ hospital on Monday night.

Mathers Tweeted: “Massive blood clot and rupture but they managed to save it. Can’t thank the staff of St James enough for the care.
“Only really started to feel pain worsen when I came off with foot injury and cooled down.
“I’ve got a massive debt of gratitude to our club doc for his swift actions, organising all the best medical treatment.”

Mathers is the second player to suffer a serious injury to a testicle in the last few months.

Warrington Wolves prop, Paul Wood – who hails from Wigan – ruptured his right testicle in the Grand Final last October against Leeds.

He played on in the match but learnt the extent of his injury later in hospital, where the testicle was removed.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-5569152