Farrell impresses England boss

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Farrell impresses England boss

Post by josie andrews »

LIAM Farrell is playing himself into contention for the World Cup, England coach Steve McNamara admitted - the Warriors back-rower has been showered with praise this season after a string of towering performances.

And McNamara says his form has not gone unnoticed.

Asked whether he could be in his plans for the World Cup tournament later this year, McNamara said: “He’s not doing himself any harm.

“His performances are of a very high standard and it’s also the consistency of how he is knocking out those performances.

“It must be pleasing the Wigan staff, the player himself and it’s certainly pleasing me as the England coach.”

Farrell was drafted into the England squad for the autumn series last year when Ben Westwood withdrew.

But he didn’t play a Test, with McNamara instead opting to use Jamie Jones-Buchanan, Gareth Hock and Gareth Ellis.

Hock’s exit from Wigan to Widnes on loan has presented Farrell with a more regular role at the Warriors, and he has flourished with the extra minutes and responsibilities to thrust himself firmly into McNamara’s plans.

“Liam has served a really good apprenticeship - he looks like he’s done it in the right way,” said the Test coach.

“He’s a really level headed kid who works extremely hard at his game.

“He’s not the biggest so he’s had to work extremely hard to put himself in the position he’s in. He’s played off the bench for Wigan for a couple

of years to earn his stripes.

“We have quite a few a backrowers, there’s out and out edge back-rowers and forwards who play in the middle of the field a little bit – we have a nice little compliment there and it’s great to see.”

McNamara also praised Wigan for continue to develop and promote home-grown players, rather than fill their squad with stars from overseas. “It’s essential for our development and our growth,” he said. “ These players need to be playing against very high-standard opposition.

“We have a little bit of work to do on that, but the Wigan club itself – with the number of players produced in that area, supplying other clubs as well – is pleasing to see.

“They seem to have a conveyor belt of what are initially good players, converting those good players into Super Leaguer players and international players, which is an art.

“They need applauding for what they are doing.”

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-5570191
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Southern Softy

Re: Farrell impresses England boss

Post by Southern Softy »

An early contender for Man of Steel?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Think it was mentioned on one of Sky's programs :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I believe he's missed just one tackle from over 300. Then there is his exciting try scoring ability.

Got to be in the mix!
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Kittwazzer wrote:I believe he's missed just one tackle from over 300. Then there is his exciting try scoring ability.

Got to be in the mix!
Yes, he missed a tackle against Saints. So still room for improvement... :wink:

Actually, just checked his stats. He's now on three missed tackles. Time to drop him?

http://www.superleague.co.uk/player/2228
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

yokozuna wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:I believe he's missed just one tackle from over 300. Then there is his exciting try scoring ability.

Got to be in the mix!

Actually, just checked his stats. He's now on three missed tackles. Time to drop him?

His first missed tackle came just as Stevo had mentioned his 100% tackling record!
markill

Post by markill »

Kittwazzer wrote:
yokozuna wrote:

Got to be in the mix!

His first missed tackle came just as Stevo had mentioned his 100% tackling record!
He missed one against Saints and then everyone missed tackles against Wakey.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Faz is doing superbly but whether you would opt for him v the Aussies is another matter? The tackling stat BTW according to Wigan's own stats was always wrong. OPTA must use different definitions.
markill

Post by markill »

cpwigan wrote:Faz is doing superbly but whether you would opt for him v the Aussies is another matter? The tackling stat BTW according to Wigan's own stats was always wrong. OPTA must use different definitions.
I think he is doing a lot of things in a very similar way to what Hoff was doing when he was here. I think Faz is more than capable of standing up tot he Aussies.

Where are you seeing Wigan's own stats CP? Whether they haev their own definitions or not, OPTA will be using the same assessment criteria across all SL games so its a pretty robust stat to judge him on.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

markill wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Faz is doing superbly but whether you would opt for him v the Aussies is another matter? The tackling stat BTW according to Wigan's own stats was always wrong. OPTA must use different definitions.
I think he is doing a lot of things in a very similar way to what Hoff was doing when he was here. I think Faz is more than capable of standing up tot he Aussies.

Where are you seeing Wigan's own stats CP? Whether they haev their own definitions or not, OPTA will be using the same assessment criteria across all SL games so its a pretty robust stat to judge him on.
It was commented upon in the local paper. I have never seen them myself buty the 2 guys who do them have been doing them for years/decades. However, as you say the OPTA stats effectively compare every player according to their way of recording.

I personally would only put 1 relatively light forward (Lockers) against Australia. I think our best chance is to put a huge pack up against them and try to steamroll them whilst dominating field position. If a match v Aus turns into a straight rugby v rugby match we will IMO lose.