Aspinwall - no case to answer

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fraggle

Aspinwall - no case to answer

Post by Fraggle »

From http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... Wigan.html:-
www.sportinglife.com wrote:

Wigan threequarter Martin Aspinwall will not face disciplinary action for an alleged kick on London Broncos winger Jon Wells during the Warriors' 34-20 defeat.

Aspinwall was placed on report after appearing to kick out at Wells in Saturday's engage Super League match as the Broncos man chased his own kick. But the Rugby Football League's video panel have ruled there is insufficient evidence to proceed with any action.
More interesting is the last paragraph of this article:-
Meanwhile, the league are to write to the Wigan players involved in an alleged spear tackle during Saturday's game, advising them to work on their technique.
Sounds like the letter's going to go "Dear players, next time you want to do a spear tackle, this is what you need to do to do it properly..."
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
MrsLam

Re: Aspinwall - no case to ans...

Post by MrsLam »

What spear tackle? Did I miss that, if it was in the last few minutes I left the room :( Couldn't take anymore. How has Aspi got away with that? He stuck his leg out to trip him up, he'd already seen the ball gone. I just don't understand the RFL. If a saints player had done that to Dallas or Carney I would be going crazy at that decision today.
It's not that it was particulary dangerous but it's not the kind of play we want associated with us or rugby league in general. There was no need for it.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
thegimble

Re: Aspinwall - no case to...

Post by thegimble »

MrsLam posted:
What spear tackle? Did I miss that, if it was in the last few minutes I left the room :( Couldn't take anymore. How has Aspi got away with that? He stuck his leg out to trip him up, he'd already seen the ball gone. I just don't understand the RFL. If a saints player had done that to Dallas or Carney I would be going crazy at that decision today.
It's not that it was particulary dangerous but it's not the kind of play we want associated with us or rugby league in general. There was no need for it.
It was a half hearted attempt at a spear. I said last week the Vikings player should have been banned and therefore we got away with it.

The RFL has made a rod for its own back by not suspending the player last week. We gained from it this week but someone will get seriously injured if it is left to go on.
proud_pie_eater

Post by proud_pie_eater »

He should have been banned, its pure and simple. The "spear tackle" was the last tackle of the match, I for once agree with Ray French in saying that I think Wigan were frustrated but they need to get it sorted, silly mistakes like that wont be tolorated all the time but I think the RFL are sending the wrong message by not being more stern!
NUMBER 1 SPOT HERE WE COME!!!
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Ah I did miss it then. I decided enough was enough and walked out in anger. Don't get me wrong, I'll support Wigan winning or losing if there's effort there but Saturday night for me, just seemed passionless (thats not a word is it!) and we didn't look interested. Dallas saved us from having another three put past us.
Our hearts just were not in it on Sat night.

RFL seem to be being too lenient recently, last year bans were being given out for nowt this year they don't exist and now they're stuck because in this Leigh match on Fri night, you can bet they'll try it and if they get a ban from it they'll be whinging like mad that Wigan got away with it. Not just Leigh but any other team that think they'll get away with it. They've got to be consistent so does this mean the spear tackle is a valid part of our game now?

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

One fact that's annoyed me this season is the number of silly penalties we've been giving away (and not Newton this time!)
I think Stevo said on the video that we were the worst team so far this season in terms of penalties conceded, which is just stupid! Having said that, I can't remember a team being penalised for offside at the kickoff for a very long time, it's one of those offences that never seem to be punished. Except when it's Ganson, and Wigan, of course.
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

That was just ridiculous, I think he had his whistle in his mouth and coughed but then didn't want to look stupid so gave the first thing that came into his head...which ironically made him look stupid.
How many teams are onside at kick off?
If that is the big issue of the season this year then let's be fair and make sure both sides do it because it isn't just Wigan.

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

MrsLam posted:
That was just ridiculous, I think he had his whistle in his mouth and coughed but then didn't want to look stupid so gave the first thing that came into his head...which ironically made him look stupid.
How many teams are onside at kick off?
If that is the big issue of the season this year then let's be fair and make sure both sides do it because it isn't just Wigan.
Make sure when Gasson is next at the JJB if an opposition player goes offside then let the git know about it.
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Oh you trust me I will do!
Not one for keeping me opinions to myself at rugby matches. Once I'm wound up I'll say anything to anyone. Hardly ever forget a hypocritical decision!

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

MrsLam posted:
What spear tackle? Did I miss that, if it was in the last few minutes I left the room :( Couldn't take anymore.
...and there's me defending us Wigan fans to other people saying there is no such thing as the 'Wigan Walk.'

I wonder whether the RFL actually bother to review any incidents, has any reported incident resulted in a ban yet this season? There have been some bad tackles and some cynical kung-fu kicks, they need to take some control before we get loads of high tackles like last season or worse, another Matt King type incident.