Local / National Press

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
we_need_a_coach

Local / National Press

Post by we_need_a_coach »

:( Has anyone else noticed, that just recently we have started getting 2nd billing in the Wigan Evening Post. The Latics now seem to get headline back page news continually, we are pushed out of the suppliment, we are in black and white, I know we have had a disasterouse start, and it's not looking good but I am starting to get worried, as we seem to have lost our no 1 standing in the town.

Add to this the nationals, we now get almost no coverage at all, whilst the weekend papers are pushing us further from the back pages, soon we will be in the holiday suppliment !

Have our management given up ? Have they now decided that footbal is NUMBER 1 ? has the RFL given up the ghost ?

Rugby League needs a leeder, who is it currently ? we need to be heard and we need coverage in the press, even SKY hardly mention League (Union is on the Sports Nerws Channel all the time), unless it is a live match day !

What does everyone else think ? Do you think there is anything the fans can do ?
jinkin jimmy

Re: Local / National Press

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Unfortunately for the warriors, latics getting into the premiership will be the biggest sporting event in the history of the town and we just have to accept it. There are a lot of "ifs" at the moment but they are looking good. "If" they get there the next problem is "if" they stay up - IMO 2 yrs in the premiership would not be good news at all for the warriors
we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

:( I understand what you are saying, but IMO there is more than a little coincidence going on here, almost as though we are makig way ! know what I mean ?

Also the old hot potatoe of a second stadium seems to be cooking again, a friend of a friend recons Wigan Planning authority have been approached again regarding a 15000 seater stadium at Marus Bridge, and I saw the Civil Engineers over there last week.

I just hope we are not being prepared for even more bad news, DW seems to be conspicuous by his silence / absence recently !
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

we_need_a_coach posted:
Also the old hot potatoe of a second stadium seems to be cooking again, a friend of a friend recons Wigan Planning authority have been approached again regarding a 15000 seater stadium at Marus Bridge, and I saw the Civil Engineers over there last week.
Now that his ambition has almost been met with the Latics, and with the Warriors already bringing in 20+k plus attendances a different times during the season, it's time for DW to turn Orrell into a force in Yawnion. Why not start with giving them a new stadium instead of their current ploughed field?

Until we hear anything official, when it comes to things like this it's too easy to add 2 + 2 and get get 5. Does Wigan have a cricket team that need a stadium?
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Soccer is the national sport whether we like it or not and a premiership team in the town it will get top billing.

Why is the question being asked? It is obvious that will happen.

I just don't see a problem. OUr corwds are up so we a re moving the right direction on that front relative to other RL clubs so that is what counts. Not how Latics are reported in the press.

As to a new stadium of 15000 why on earth would that make sense when we get 13,000 plaus for games against the likes of Salford and more than that for Saints etc?

I think you are being more than a little paranoid and seeing problems where there aren't any.

Dave
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Fraggle posted:

Now that his ambition has almost been met with the Latics, and with the Warriors already bringing in 20+k plus attendances a different times during the season, it's time for DW to turn Orrell into a force in Yawnion. Why not start with giving them a new stadium instead of their current ploughed field?
I have heard that Whelan is selling his stake in Orrell back to the club members. We built them a new club house after theirs burned down, but got the impression that Whelan was cutting ties with the club. Its a shame, I would have liked to see Orrell thrashing southerners every week.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Are you having a laugh about the Marus Bridge thing?! LikeI said to the Ashton planning, where would the stadium be at Marus Bridge? I actually live in the estate across from there and there's nowhere! It's on a busy dual carriage way too, that would be terrible management. If you're thinking of beind Kwik Save and near Sainsburys there's just nowhere, it's all one big lorry park, if we were having a new ground this is more than 3 or 4 years off.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

where abouts is marcus bridge, is it further from the town center than the jjb
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

He could be anywhere
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

yeh its about 4 miles from the jjb in the oposite direction to the town centre
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR