Quote from Dennis B etts

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
silver surfer

Quote from Dennis B etts

Post by silver surfer »

On Granada Reports tonight (previewing tomorrow's match) We were never as good as everyone thought we were and we are not as bad as everyone thinks we are"

Is this Dennis the philosopher? Quite profound don't you think? :eh:
waterside glens

Re: Quote from Dennis B etts

Post by waterside glens »

if he means this season and last i have to agree
AncientWarrior

Re: Quote from Dennis B etts

Post by AncientWarrior »

silver surfer posted:
On Granada Reports tonight (previewing tomorrow's match) We were never as good as everyone thought we were and we are not as bad as everyone thinks we are"

Is this Dennis the philosopher? Quite profound don't you think? :eh:
Yes, there is a certain profundity there!

I find myself agreeing with Dennis if he is referring to the Wigan teams of recent years. It seems we have managed to reach the finals of both competitions only to fall (with one joyous exception) at the last hurdle. This smacks of a lack of 'big match temperament' - almost a lack of belief on behalf of the team members. This, IMO, is a result of introducing into the team too many young/inexperienced players too quickly thus creating an imbalance between youthful strength and vigour and the experience and general nous found in older players. In addition at Wigan, we have not enjoyed the luxury of a settled half-back combination since Edwards/Gregory and this is the one factor which has been present in each and every successful RL team since the dawn of time.

The formula is quite simple and hasn't changed over the years: Brick-outhouse pack with loads of muscle and plenty guile followed by skillful, ball-handling half-backs and speedy, try-hungry threequarters. The problem is assembling these players all at the same time under one roof. It is a gradual process and one which cannot be achieved by the purchase of 4, 5 or 6 players all at once to achieve a 'quick fix'.

I fear that we shall have to go backwards in order to go forwards and the best we can hope for is to establish/retain this season the core of such a team which can be added to (gradually) as the situation demands.

I feel that I should add, however, that I believe the current club policy in developing young players is the right way forward and can only benefit the club in the long term.
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.