Much better

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mrs_carney

Re: Much better

Post by mrs_carney »

I have to say guisset has done more than enough to totally impress me and convince me that hes a better player than people think. Week in week out hes playing over 40mins for us, he was on for most of the match tonight and made no mistakes, i think he deserves a lot of credit for what hes done these past few games, he was out shone by tickle and lockers but still was the silent hero on the field tonight!
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
chorleywarrior

Post by chorleywarrior »

Fine ok,no problem with that,so as long as we keep beating teams like Leigh,Widnes and Salford but struggle against bigger teams like Wakefield and Bradford Denis should have a job for life!!!
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

For gods sake that isnt what shes saying at all, she is saying we played very well tonight and it will be a huge confidence boost ahead of next weeks game. We are improving and everybody knows we need to beat the big teams as well but tonight we werent playing a big team so that wasnt possible. Just read her posts properly and you'll see that!
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

That's not my point. I'm saying we need every point we can get obviously and tonight we did the best we could in more ways than one. We've been known to lose against the smaller teams and beat the bigger ones rather than it be the other way around, we just hammered a local super league team 62-6. Where is the negative in that?
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
chorleywarrior

Post by chorleywarrior »

mrs_carney posted:
For gods sake that isnt what shes saying at all, she is saying we played very well tonight and it will be a huge confidence boost ahead of next weeks game. We are improving and everybody knows we need to beat the big teams as well but tonight we werent playing a big team so that wasnt possible. Just read her posts properly and you'll see that!
Excuse me I have read the posts properly and do not need any advice on how to read from you!
Just because I happen to have a different view on the game to you!
I don't know where you sit but in the South Stand where I was I was'nt the only one saying this sort of thing,of course its a positive because they won the game,I just feel that after that shambles last week we would have played even better tonight than we did thats all,can they go up another level for next Friday?I hope so.
heydude

Post by heydude »

just three things to say how poor are leigh can see them not winning any matches at this point,also agree with chorley warrior about the penalties their try came from a drop ball from a bad pass then two penalties, but still a good win and a confidence booster (what about seuseu sidestep)
don't eat yellow snow
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

warrior till i die posted:
every single player on that pitch done the wigan shirt proud tonight. Who ever questions radlinskis abiity as our captain just needs to look at his performence in tonights game.
His ability as captain has been called into question because he hasn't been doing a very good job of it up to now.

Is any player beyond ctitisim because we put 60 odd past Leigh?
Dallas and Carney im glad to see that they both scored good tries.
The centres played well and vaealiki is a scoring machine. Steve Wild also got stuck in. I think Browny had a brilliant game at stand off and hes begining to make a stake for the shirt himself.
Not if he keeps tossing the ball to no one he won't. Did it again tonight. Did it in the last home game.

Godwin showed him how to do it. Made the break, looked for support and then passed the ball. Brown seems to think not looking and passing is the way to do it.

I thought Godwin was excellent myself. Tore Leigh apart at times with his running from dummy half.

We might have been slagging ML off for his buys player-wise but this one seems a very astute move.
I was sad to see Moran limping of as he started to come to life.
Yes ho got on the end of two nice passes with great support play. Lets hope he was taken off as a precaution.
All three props played brilliant again. SeuSeu throwing a dummy had me in fits and guisett is really proving to be an excellent signing. And scully his offloads payed off!!!! :D I think it is the best game tickle has had for us as he made alot of yards. Wayne Godwin played fantastic when he came on with his runs from dummy half. Terry Newton was a bit quiet but he was cheeky as always. And Sean O what more can i say. Who needs Faz when you have Lockers? And finally I thaught that was the best ref we have had this season. He was spot on.
I think the Leigh fans might disagree but they should have no complaints.

The best bit for me in terms of improvement was when Leigh had a couple of breaks down Wilds centre Betts subbed him for Aspy and that shut the door on that route. It actually looked like the coach knew what he was doing.

There was also some nice direct running from the forwards and as the game wore on the whole team got more and more confident. They looked tenatative to me in their passing in the first quarter, lacking a bit of confidence but a couple of tries sorted them out.

A good win and a help to the points difference but a terrible journey home. Thelwall down to one lane. took me an hour and 40 minutes after I dropeed my dad off normally takes about 50 minutes and it looked like three men having a brew in the middle lane!

Off on a Rugby tour this weekend so I can go off with a smile on the back of that win!

Dave

robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Seems a silly arguement to me MrsLam and ChorleyWarrior because I think you're both right.

To stand the best chance of winning SL you need to win most of your matches. However, it's inevitable that you will lose one or two, doesn't really matter if they are to Leigh or Leeds as long as you lose less than than everyone else. However, beating Leeds would take vital points from them (a 4 point game) whereas losing to Leigh is very unlikely to see them go above us (a 2 point game).

Tonight there were some good moves, but some that would never work against better teams. For example, we went blind side for Dallas's try in the first half, a top team would never have forgotten to put their winger on the wing. Similarly some of the breaks Godwin was making wouldn't have passed a Bulls defence for example, but as MrsLam said there were some good moves and some would pay off, just maybe not as many.

Tonight we played some good rugby, good defence for the most part, with one or two breaks from them that could have been stopped... but the main positive is that we played for the full 80 minutes, that is a victory in itself for us. That has been our single most problem for... I don't know how long!

Tonight we got two points and made our points difference look respectable, this is good! Now this match is out of the way it's time for the lads to concentrate on the next two points against Saints.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

chorleywarrior posted:
Your missing my point completely I'll try it this way see if you understnd,if Man Utd beat lets say Crystal Palace 6-0 does that mean that Utd are going to win the Champions League?
true, but if other teams are only beating Palace 3-2, or 2-0, it's a good indicator of the quality of the performance!

Leigh v Bradford 6-40
Wakey v Leigh 38-26
Leigh v Salford 6-32
Wire v Leigh 26-22
Leigh v Hudds 12-30
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

chorleywarrior posted:
A good result,but don't get carried away,1 win and suddenly we are a great side again by the sounds of it,a gang of pensioners could have beat Leigh tonight!!!If there a Super League Team then I'm Ellery Hanley!
Will have a better idea just how good we are doing after next weekends games!
I know you lot on here will probably say I'm wrong because a win is a win,but personally I thought they made hard work of the 1st half yet again,and I was'nt on my own either!
Still giving silly penalties away,and at times the tackling is sloppy,still need to improve to turn over the Saints I think.
forget the cherry n white tinted glasses I agree with you.We beat NOTHING tonight. Moran had his worst game yet and it's definitely time to get rid of Sculthorpe