Thursday Night Games

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Owd Codger

Thursday Night Games

Post by Owd Codger »

What do fan's think of the decision to now play games on a Thursday night from the first of August which is the start of the football season.

When fan's buy a season ticket, they do so in my opinion on the strength of fixtures being played on the weekend day's of Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I also believe that it will also lead to even lower average attendances.

What next, games on Tuesday's and Wednesday's?
DaveO

Re: Thursday Night Games

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:What do fan's think of the decision to now play games on a Thursday night from the first of August which is the start of the football season.

When fan's buy a season ticket, they do so in my opinion on the strength of fixtures being played on the weekend day's of Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Where has this come from?

I haven't seen any announcement on the club site or the BBC.

Is this Sky mucking about?

If they do this they really will annoy and alienate a lot of fans IMO.
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

DaveO wrote:Where has this come from?

It's not all games, just the televised ones being shown on a Thursday rather than a Monday. Sky are keeping our game afloat, so I'm afraid they call the shots.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Shaun1967 wrote:
DaveO wrote:Where has this come from?

It's not all games, just the televised ones being shown on a Thursday rather than a Monday. Sky are keeping our game afloat, so I'm afraid they call the shots.
They might call the shots but they need to protect their investment as well and mucking it about isn't IMO a good way to do that.

Monday or Thursday are equally bad IMO but at least it sounds like it's only Monday games that are affected. From reading WW's post I thought the idea was to stop playing on Friday's completely!
markill

Post by markill »

Surely it makes sense to have the TV games played on nights where there is less other live sport competing for viewers?

People will moan because people moan, but in my opinion this is mountain out of molehill time for people who think we should be playing in the winter on saturday afternoons at the same time the premier league play.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
jobo

Post by jobo »

Whelley Warrior wrote:What do fan's think of the decision to now play games on a Thursday night from the first of August which is the start of the football season.

Back in the day, when we were winning everything, Wednesday night games were played quite regularly, mainly because we always had a backlog of league games. The atmosphere, as I remember it, was great.

As for playing on a Thursday instead of a Monday, can't really see a problem and it does at least maintain the airtime we get, as opposed to dropping a televised match altogether.
devon jim 1

Post by devon jim 1 »

Has sfar as Sky or the BBC are concerned RL is and always has been just a 'stocking filler'. This attitude,by the nedia, to our game is the basic reason why our game has not expanded and attracted, unlike union,much needed sponsership.People(fans) are media led,not has they would have you believe the other way round. If you don't accept this then all the money business spends on advertising is wasted . :(
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

I've just watched last nights game back and from Wiggy's comments about Thursday night games (and his comments when Monday night games started) you would have thought that the Monday and Thursday night games were extra televised games on top of the normal Friday/Saturday Games, unfortunately they are not.
I am moving in the near future and I will not be taking out a Sky or virgin TV package when I move. When I first subscribed to Sky many years ago I used to get two top flight English RL matches per weekend, a lower league game on a thursday night, and a couple of aussie RL games,plus an aussie round up and boots n all. Being with virgin now (Sky Sports but not Premier Sports) I get 2 Super league matches (which can be on any night between Thursday and Monday), SL highlights, Superleague Superstars, Backchat and Boots n all.
Although it is great there are more "magazine" shows I want to watch games (as well as going to Wigan to watch the warriors live).
I'm going to stick to Freeview in my new house and watch all the games online. Sky can stick their subscription where the sun doesn't shine :angry:
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

DaveO wrote:
They might call the shots but they need to protect their investment as well and mucking it about isn't IMO a good way to do that.
They are protecting their prime investment in football. We were a stop gap on Mondays for the summer while there was no football on.
Their investment in RL will never be under threat because no one else is bothered about us. If anything mucking the fans about like this means more people stay away and watch on Sky instead.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The RFL & Sky are doin their damnedest to turn away supporters & ruin our fantastic game!!

Does my fecking head in :angry: :angry:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan