Paul Deacon gets a new appointment

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
BriH

Paul Deacon gets a new appointment

Post by BriH »

eacon: Joins England coaching staff

Related Content

Rugby League news
Rugby league fixtures
Rugby league results

Deacon, 34, enjoyed a decorated playing career as a scrum-half for Bradford and Wigan, before retiring to join the coaching staff of the latter.

His impressive work under Shaun Wane has caught the eye of McNamara - who played with him at Bradford - and he has now been called up to serve his old colleague ahead of this year's World Cup.

The position became vacant after McNamara's former assistant, James Lowes, headed to rugby union to take up a role with Leeds Carnegie.

"Paul is one of the best upcoming coaches in the country with a wealth of experience playing at the top level in the Super League," said McNamara.

"As a player, Paul was a model professional and he is now developing into an excellent coach. I'm sure all the players involved in the England programme will benefit from his vast knowledge.

"He will be able to offer understanding and experience in a number of areas and his insight as a top-class half-back will be invaluable in the work he will be doing with the playmakers in the squad.

"Paul will continue the excellent work developed by James Lowes, the former England RL assistant coach, who we wish well in his new role in rugby union.

"I would like to place on record my thanks to Wigan Warriors and their chairman Ian Lenagan and head coach Shaun Wane for supporting this appointment."

Deacon played for Great Britain 10 times and England four during a career which saw him win numerous titles.

Perhaps his most notorious moment in a national jersey came when he, in his own words, "broke his face" in a winning cause against New Zealand in 2005, and he is now looking forward to contributing from the other side of the whitewash.

"It is a great honour and a terrific opportunity for me and one I'm really looking forward to being involved with," said Deacon.

"I am looking forward to working with the best English players and passing on my experience. We have some fantastic talent coming through and to be involved at the highest level enabling England to realise its goal of winning a major tournament is something I will relish."

Deacon was also given the blessing of Wigan chairman Lenagan, who added: ""We are thrilled for Paul that he has been given this fantastic opportunity with England and it is full credit to him that his hard work with Wigan has been recognised by Steve McNamara."
markill

Re: Paul Deacon gets a new appointment

Post by markill »

I assume he is still a coach at our club too?
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Brian, where did you get this news from? It needs the link adding. I've looked at a few sites but can't find the one it is from.
I would have added it for you if I had found it :)

Thanks

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Paul Deacon Appointed to England Coaching Staff

Wigan Warriors are delighted to announce that Warriors Coach Paul Deacon has been appointed by England Rugby League as an Assistant Coach to Steve McNamara.

Paul who retired as a player with his hometown Club at the end of the 2010 season has since been working both with Wigan First Team and Under 19's where he has been able to pass on his vast wealth of experience. The appointment of Paul to the England Staff will see him working alongside Mark Bitcon who similarly holds dual roles both with Wigan where he is Director of Performance and with England as Head of Sports Science. Paul will continue to work full time with Wigan in his current position as well as now playing an important part in England's preparations for the 2013 World Cup.

Speaking about the news, Wigan Owner and Chairman Ian Lenagan said:

"We are thrilled for Paul that he has been given this fantastic opportunity with England and it is full credit to him that his hard work with Wigan has been recognised by Steve McNamara.

" Paul will continue his vitally important role with us here at Wigan and will join up with the England Squad later in the year for the World Cup."

England Coach Steve McNamara.said:

"Paul is one of the best upcoming coaches in the country with a wealth of experience playing at the top level in the Super League. As a player, Paul was a model professional and he is now developing into an excellent coach. I'm sure all the players involved in the England programme will benefit from his vast knowledge.

"He will be able to offer understanding and experience in a number of areas and his insight as a top class half-back will be invaluable in the work he will be doing with the playmakers in the squad. I would like to place on record my thanks to Wigan Warriors and to Chairman Ian Lenagan and Head Coach Shaun Wane for supporting this appointment."

Paul Deacon added;

"It is a great honour and a terrific opportunity for me and one I'm really looking forward to being involved with. I am thoroughly enjoying Coaching at Wigan and to be chosen for this role with England is a real honour.

" I am looking forward to working with the best English players and passing on my experience. We have some fantastic talent coming through and to be involved at the highest level enabling England to realise its goal of winning a major tournament is something I will relish."

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
BriH

Post by BriH »

josie andrews wrote:Brian, where did you get this news from? It needs the link adding. I've looked at a few sites but can't find the one it is from.

Thanks
Sorry Josie, I got it from Wigan Today. I think it was just repeating the Club's statement.
I presume he will still be at Wigan? Sorry for being an Oldie, but I can't see a lot for him to do!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

BriH wrote:
josie andrews wrote:Brian, where did you get this news from? It needs the link adding. I've looked at a few sites but can't find the one it is from.

Thanks
Sorry Josie, I got it from Wigan Today. I think it was just repeating the Club's statement.
I presume he will still be at Wigan? Sorry for being an Oldie, but I can't see a lot for him to do!
No bother Brian, I put a link to it from the official site :)
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

josie andrews wrote:
BriH wrote:

Thanks

With McNamara as coach, I can see a hell of a lot for Deacs to do !

Seems fairly late for him to be joining the squad, as they've had their main warm-up game (v Exiles) and training sessions already, without him being involved.

No bother Brian, I put a link to it from the official site :)