is it time

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

is it time

Post by medlocke »

For a new owner?, IL has been great for the club, he's dragged us out of the s*** that Whelan left us in and has turned us into a well run club, yet he seems happy enough to sell our top talent or let players leave mid contract without wanting to put his hands in his pocket for some quality replacements, how long is this going to go on for, surely there must be somebody out there with a passion for the club and tons of money to burn who could take over the club.
markill

Re: is it time

Post by markill »

An owner can only spend a limited amount and that amount is less than the owners of clubs competing with us for talent in other leagues/sports so I'm not sure what a mega bucks owner can do, other than potentially dump in a mire if the club isn't so well run and depends on their moeny alone, because if they go we'll be screwed.

Players will want to go elsewhere and unfortunately, even with contracts that should suggest otherwise in certain cases, it seems difficult to on to hold them.

If IL's approach sees us not competing then maybe a change would be called for, but so far we've shown we can reach finals still. Whilst there are concerns about the way things are going on and to an extent off the pitch, we're still one of the clubs who can and will compete for silverware again.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

As a Liverpool supporter new owners aren't a magic wand that fixes all the problems unless it's mega rich sheikh or dodgy russian. This club is run well and until this bad patch we where the best team in the league scoring the most points and having the best defense, so imo this club is fine the way it is
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Ian has done a great job turning the club around and of course he isn't perfect and there are still things he does that many fans will disagree with, eg being tight-lipped on all transfer matters - but you can see his point.

IMO there are two types of owner:
1. The owner ploughs money into the side to win trophies
2. The owner runs it as a business and if done correctly success will come.

I think we have #2 and we're better for it. I'd love to go back to the Uncle Mo days but we'd sacrifice youth and stability that way because our sport isn't sound enough to keep buying the top talent like Man City or Chelski
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I don't think IL sets out to 'sell our best players'. As a realist, he accepts the inevitability of players wanting to better themselves and manages each situation as best he can for the benefit of all concerned. I think he does an excellent job.

Example. We are picking up $250,000 for Mossop and around $900,000 for Tomkins. How much did Stains get for Eastmond and Graham?
BriH

Post by BriH »

What if he doesn't want to sell?
I think he owns c. 97% of the shares (I might be wrong!!!).
Non-starter methinks.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

BriH wrote:What if he doesn't want to sell?
I think he owns c. 97% of the shares (I might be wrong!!!).
Non-starter methinks.
Of course its a non-starter Brian. You don't 'sack' the owner. Always used to amuse me when the Latics fans started their 'Whelan Out' threads. The irony being he's been trying to get out for years!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

markill wrote:An owner can only spend a limited amount and that amount is less than the owners of clubs competing with us for talent in other leagues/sports so I'm not sure what a mega bucks owner can do, other than potentially dump in a mire if the club isn't so well run and depends on their moeny alone, because if they go we'll be screwed.
That is not true IMO. IL is worth about £30m. Simon Moran at Wire is worth around £200m and I think it makes a difference. The fact Moran is worth as much as he is doesn't stop Wire being well run financially.
Players will want to go elsewhere and unfortunately, even with contracts that should suggest otherwise in certain cases, it seems difficult to on to hold them.
Well apparently Ratchford signed for Wire instead of us off the back of what Moran could offer because of his links to the O2 and events at the O2 arena. Wire may be as constrained by the cap as us but we will see how they deal with the the exit of senior players over the next couple of seasons. I don't think they will struggle myself.
If IL's approach sees us not competing then maybe a change would be called for, but so far we've shown we can reach finals still. Whilst there are concerns about the way things are going on and to an extent off the pitch, we're still one of the clubs who can and will compete for silverware again.
Off the pitch I think IL is doing quite well and initiatives like Central Park sound very good. On the pitch we are a mid table side who got a good draw to see us Wembley.

Had we met one of the top sides on the way I doubt we'd have made it. I am not complaining. If we win there are plenty who will envy us but it won't cover up there are playing and coaching issues that need sorting out or next season we will IMO go backwards.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

DaveO wrote:
markill wrote:An owner can only spend a limited amount and that amount is less than the owners of clubs competing with us for talent in other leagues/sports so I'm not sure what a mega bucks owner can do, other than potentially dump in a mire if the club isn't so well run and depends on their moeny alone, because if they go we'll be screwed.
That is not true IMO. IL is worth about £30m. Simon Moran at Wire is worth around £200m and I think it makes a difference. The fact Moran is worth as much as he is doesn't stop Wire being well run financially.
Well apparently Ratchford signed for Wire instead of us off the back of what Moran could offer because of his links to the O2 and events at the O2 arena. Wire may be as constrained by the cap as us but we will see how they deal with the the exit of senior players over the next couple of seasons. I don't think they will struggle myself.
Off the pitch I think IL is doing quite well and initiatives like Central Park sound very good. On the pitch we are a mid table side who got a good draw to see us Wembley.

Had we met one of the top sides on the way I doubt we'd have made it. I am not complaining. If we win there are plenty who will envy us but it won't cover up there are playing and coaching issues that need sorting out or next season we will IMO go backwards.
Love the bit that 'I am not complaining'
markill

Post by markill »

DaveO wrote:

If we win there are plenty who will envy us but it won't cover up there are playing and coaching issues that need sorting out or next season we will IMO go backwards.
Losing Sam T is always going to be a backwards step on the field and I agree there are concerns. My post was more about it not being time to start begging for a new owner and trying to kick this one out.

However, if gig tickets is the reason Ratchford went to Warrington then that is stupid. I can't accept that as a genuine reason for a professional sports man to decide on a new club. If it was said, it was probably tongue in cheek.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod