Matty Bowen

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: Matty Bowen

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

cpwigan wrote:A potentially excellent full back would be Joe Mellor with the bonus he can play half back too.
I thought he was excellent last night and showed Smith and Green how to do it!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

RobWigan wrote:In the NRL every week its very physical and high tempo and it is no surprise that he can no longer live up to this, In super league he will be able handle it alot easier
How on earth do you know that? Based on what evidence?

I can see what you are doing. You are effectively saying our league is basically a powder puff pale imitation of the NRL to make an excuse for Wigan signing a player with two reconstructed knees. :eusa9:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:Interesting that Wigan have actually acknowledged that we are talking to him, while making it clear that we will need a get out if he isn't fit. That's exactly what I hoped to read.
Where have Wigan done that? Do you have a link to share? Is it in the local papers?

There is certainly nothing in the news section on the official club site.

If you mean the article from Wigan Today posted earlier in the thread then sorry but you can't conclude Wigan have either acknowledged their interest or made anything clear about a get out clause because there in't a single quote from Wigan in it. Wigan Today needs a page entitled "The Rumour Mill" if that is the best they can come up with.

I am afraid it is a fairly typical page filler of a sports article short on any actual facts. It happens quite a lot and whoever wrote it could have gleaned all the information from this very forum.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

No, Simply No. The guy has got shot knees i would rather see a fully fit good player to a crocked "world class" especially at Full Back.

I dont agree with sticking a half-back at full for the sake of it either.

Personally id like to see some experience at the back but i would put the following targets (and i think ive kept in realistic measures) before a crocked Bowen

in no particular order;
Rhys Hanbury
Johnny Lomax
Luke Dorn
Greg Eden

Im not saying i would move heaven to sign any of those players but if you were to bring someone in id have any of them before bowen
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

DaveO wrote:
Exiled Wiganer wrote:Interesting that Wigan have actually acknowledged that we are talking to him, while making it clear that we will need a get out if he isn't fit. That's exactly what I hoped to read.
Where have Wigan done that? Do you have a link to share? Is it in the local papers?

If you mean the article from Wigan Today posted earlier in the thread then sorry but you can't conclude Wigan have either acknowledged their interest or made anything clear about a get out clause because there in't a single quote from Wigan in it. Wigan Today needs a page entitled "The Rumour Mill" if that is the best they can come up with.

I am afraid it is a fairly typical page filler of a sports article short on any actual facts. It happens quite a lot and whoever wrote it could have gleaned all the information from this very forum.
Which is exactly what I accused Phil Wilkinson of doing with the Minichello story. He denied it, claiming his 'sources' are usually reliable but Minichello was a name simply thrown into the hat on here the week before!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:No, Simply No. The guy has got shot knees i would rather see a fully fit good player to a crocked "world class" especially at Full Back.

I dont agree with sticking a half-back at full for the sake of it either.

Personally id like to see some experience at the back but i would put the following targets (and i think ive kept in realistic measures) before a crocked Bowen

in no particular order;
Rhys Hanbury
Johnny Lomax
Luke Dorn
Greg Eden

Im not saying i would move heaven to sign any of those players but if you were to bring someone in id have any of them before bowen
I am on the same page as you with this. I wouldn't move heaven and earth for them either but I would look to sign a decent full back.

One argument against this is it will get in the way of our young players.

I don't see this as much of an argument because if Sam was staying he'd be in the way and no one would complain.

We also need a decent full back for 2014. So if by letting Sam go the club (as it does) finds itself in the position of needing a full back for 2014 it really ought not to be bringing in stop gaps while waiting for young players to make the grade because - they might not make the grade! Tierney in particular who is the full back. Hampshire probably will make it but I don't see him as a 1 anyway.

Hampshire at 1 would be a crying shame IMO. If ever there was a player with 6 written all over him it is this lad. At 1 his passing will only get used every so often and as with Sam he'd be expected to come into the line as a decoy or finisher.

So IMO if he ends up penciled in at 1 for 2015 this is yet another negative consequence of Sam going. If Sam were still here and with Green's contract up at the end of 2015 Hampshire would be a good bet for no. 6.

As it is I can see us putting him at 1 and offering Green a new deal :(
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:
DaveO wrote:

Which is exactly what I accused Phil Wilkinson of doing with the Minichello story. He denied it, claiming his 'sources' are usually reliable but Minichello was a name simply thrown into the hat on here the week before!
These "factless" articles crop up very regularly.

Took me awhile to cotton on but if you read them with even a moderately questioning point of view it soon becomes obvious there aren't any hard fact in them and that the paper is recycling rumours.

When was the last time they had a genuine scoop?

If Bowen does sign no doubt we will see an article beginning "As first revealed by Wigan Today last week..."

I still wouldn't be convinced given their form on duff articles like this and in any case even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
RobWigan

Post by RobWigan »

DaveO wrote:
RobWigan wrote:In the NRL every week its very physical and high tempo and it is no surprise that he can no longer live up to this, In super league he will be able handle it alot easier

I can see what you are doing. You are effectively saying our league is basically a powder puff pale imitation of the NRL to make an excuse for Wigan signing a player with two reconstructed knees. :eusa9:
It is true though, the NRL is a far better league and far more intense than our league, which is why only a.handful of British players actually make a success of it when they go over.

If the medical team of Wigan conclude that.he is still fit enough to do a few seasons than so be it, either way Hampshire or Tierney is not ready and we need some expierence
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

RobWigan wrote:
DaveO wrote:

It is true though, the NRL is a far better league and far more intense than our league, which is why only a.handful of British players actually make a success of it when they go over.

If the medical team of Wigan conclude that.he is still fit enough to do a few seasons than so be it, either way Hampshire or Tierney is not ready and we need some expierence
That's fair enough provided a qualified doctor such as Dr Brookes or Dr Zaman is given his entire medical history and allowed the final word. It was Dr Zaman who blocked Botica's return having seen his XRays!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

RobWigan wrote:
DaveO wrote:

The idea our league is so physically undemanding we can afford to take a risk on a player with two reconstructed knees is ridiculous IMO.

The NRL is a tougher competition than ours but it does not follow that means SL as physically undemanding you imply.