Matty Bowen

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
butt monkey

Re: Matty Bowen

Post by butt monkey »

Kittwazzer wrote:
RobWigan wrote:
DaveO wrote: How on earth do you know that? Based on what evidence?

I can see what you are doing. You are effectively saying our league is basically a powder puff pale imitation of the NRL to make an excuse for Wigan signing a player with two reconstructed knees. :eusa9:
It is true though, the NRL is a far better league and far more intense than our league, which is why only a.handful of British players actually make a success of it when they go over.

If the medical team of Wigan conclude that.he is still fit enough to do a few seasons than so be it, either way Hampshire or Tierney is not ready and we need some expierence
That's fair enough provided a qualified doctor such as Dr Brookes or Dr Zaman is given his entire medical history and allowed the final word. It was Dr Zaman who blocked Botica's return having seen his XRays!
Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit!
Dr Zaman is nothing less and was nothing more than a General Practitioner. Qualified radiologists make the decisions based on x-rays - not f**king gps'
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Matty Bowen was great 6 years ago. There are many many examples of NRL greats, even better players than Matty being signed on their past achievements AND being a pale shadow of what they once were. Indeed, a very bad buy for the clubs concerned.
RobWigan

Post by RobWigan »

Btett hodgson and Steve Menzies were also both 'past it' :roll:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

RobWigan wrote:Btett hodgson and Steve Menzies were also both 'past it' :roll:
I'll see you Rob and RAISE you Bradley Clyde!!!

Jackpot to me Rob :wink:
RobWigan

Post by RobWigan »

cpwigan wrote:
RobWigan wrote:Btett hodgson and Steve Menzies were also both 'past it' :roll:
I'll see you Rob and RAISE you Bradley Clyde!!!

Jackpot to me Rob :wink:
Hahaha yeah that is a.good one,.sorry.for.memory but did he sign for Leeds? With Tonie Carroll?
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Just watched Titans V Cowboys and Mat Bowen was outstanding, making breaks and laying on a 40 yard pass for the winger to score a try. He is also safe under a high ball, and if his knees are shattered his pace shows no signs of it. His knees were not even strapped or supported. On the form I has just witnessed he looks better than Sam. Sorry all you Sam fans. Oh and as far as I am aware he has not missed a match all year. Ian L ask Titans if Dave Taylor is for sale, he is fast massive and aggressive with a great motor. Oh and how is this for an injured player Brent Tate 3 knee constructions, a broken neck & nearly every bone in his body broken. But still gets picked for the Aus Test Team
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Bowen has missed about four games this season, but as you say he was very good yesterday. I would take him on a one, or two year deal, providing we do due diligence on his fitness. He wouldn't have to play every game if he came over and would be a good mentor for the likes of Tierney, Hampshire and Burgess.
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

Bowen has missed 7 games this season. one with a swollen knee, 6 after a loose cartilage operation
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

No straw damn us wrote:Bowen has missed about four games this season, but as you say he was very good yesterday. I would take him on a one, or two year deal, providing we do due diligence on his fitness. He wouldn't have to play every game if he came over and would be a good mentor for the likes of Tierney, Hampshire and Burgess.
Why do people assume experienced players are automatically going to be good mentors for junior players?

It might just not be in Bowen's nature to be a teacher.

If he comes it will probably be for a couple of years and he may just enjoy his time here playing the game and then go home. That is it.

DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

Why do people assume experienced players are automatically going to be good mentors for junior players?

It might just not be in Bowen's nature to be a teacher.

If he comes it will probably be for a couple of years and he may just enjoy his time here playing the game and then go home. That is it.

[/quote]

I don't think anyone is suggesting he would sit our younger players down in front of a chalkboard and set them modules Dave. Just that being around one of the finest full backs from the other side of the world who has been at the top of a much tougher competition for a decade might be a beneficial experience to young players used to winning by 40 points in our U-19s every week. He doesn't need to say a word to them, they can just watch how he goes about everything