Matty Smith

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Matty Smith

Post by DaveO »

I reckon that must be the best game he has ever played in his life.

Thoroughly deserved the Lance Todd and I think a grand total of a single kick went direct to their players whereas Hull kicked down Sam's throat for most of the match.

His kicking was a key reason why we won. :eusa2:
loyalbelfast

Re: Matty Smith

Post by loyalbelfast »

He stood out, had him down as my Man of the match before the official call of it

His kicked was amazing considering the monsoon conditions
Solid team performance without the spectacular but weather had its say e.g Hull failing to hold the ball so may times

When I came out of Wembley Central tube station I was looking around for the animals heading towards Noah's Ark the rain was that bad & like most I was not dressed for it, got soaked to the skin walking up to Wembley but more than worth it come 20 to 5

Super Wigan!! - its all about Silver as the Lone Ranger says

As an aside Wembley crowds getting less and less each year?
Noticable smaller Wigan support to that of 2011

A&L (just like Belfast)
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

loyalbelfast wrote:He stood out, had him down as my Man of the match before the official call of it
I think it was as clear cut a MoM as I have seen for a while in such a big match.
His kicked was amazing considering the monsoon conditions
Solid team performance without the spectacular but weather had its say e.g Hull failing to hold the ball so may times
Their coach thinks they panicked a bit and I think he may be right there. A bit of composure needed to hold onto the ball in the wet and several of our players have played in big games before. I think the experience will have helped us.
When I came out of Wembley Central tube station I was looking around for the animals heading towards Noah's Ark the rain was that bad & like most I was not dressed for it, got soaked to the skin walking up to Wembley but more than worth it come 20 to 5
I remember getting caught in a downpour before the 2011 final but I could have swam back to Stanmore today.
As an aside Wembley crowds getting less and less each year?
Another symptom of the GF means everything IMO. I think not only was the league devalued by that but so (to a much smaller degree) was the CC and I think the way it has affected it is far fewer fans of sides not involved in the final go. For some it was an annual pilgrimage if their team was in it or not. I don't think it is now.
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

loyalbelfast wrote:As an aside Wembley crowds getting less and less each year?

A&L (just like Belfast)
2011 78,482 against Leeds
2013 78,137 against Hull

If you noticed that difference i'm impressed
jobo

Post by jobo »

Kaii wrote:

A&L (just like Belfast)
2013 78,137 against Hull

10k must have stayed in the bars then. No way was it virtually 90% full.

Back on topic. Smiths kicking was excellent but I thought Lockers was the lynch pin.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jobo wrote:
Kaii wrote:

A&L (just like Belfast)
2013 78,137 against Hull

10k must have stayed in the bars then. No way was it virtually 90% full.

Back on topic. Smiths kicking was excellent but I thought Lockers was the lynch pin.
I think Lockers made the difference everyone expected him to make but I think the fact Hull were turned around by Smith's kicks time and gain (with a good chase) was a big factor in them running out of gas. I think it was a key part to the win. Put another way, if he had kicked as bad as Hull did I am not sure we'd have won. They would have had far better field position than they did.

No idea what the territory stats are but we must surely have played most of the game in their half based on his kicking game????
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

DaveO wrote:
Their coach thinks they panicked a bit and I think he may be right there. A bit of composure needed to hold onto the ball in the wet and several of our players have played in big games before. I think the experience will have helped us.
I said all week that big match experience would be a point in our favour. That, coupled with the additional pressure on Hull to finally win a final at Wembley. A monkey which continues to cling firmly to their backs!
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Did not go to the game as I was working.Did manage to watch the game though on tv.And thought Smith stood out massive for me.Gentle complained that his boys never kept hold of the ball.And as my wife pointed out to me when I got home.We played with the same ball and in the same wet conditions.Wigan as a team were solid in every department.Each man played his part.Not a classic game to watch but the history books will tell it's story Wigan 16 Hull 0.Gentle needs to be a little more gracious in defeat.The try by Sam was that little bit of magic the game needed.Well played every wigan player.A big hand to Shaun Wane he got them ready for this one now lets see them push on for the rest of the season. :D
markill

Post by markill »

It was a clear MoM for me. Didn't put a foot wrong realy. I can't even think of one kick from Smith that went straight to a Hull player without them having to make up space for it in the air, in fact all game the only one i can think of was one out of dummy half by Logan that Briscoe had read well and dropped back for on the 4th.

My mates had a few bets on Lance Todd winner and they were wondering if they were in with a shot still at half time and I said Matty Smith was clear front runner at that time. Constantly turning the Hull players around and putting our excellent defence on the front foot.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

markill wrote:It was a clear MoM for me. Didn't put a foot wrong realy. I can't even think of one kick from Smith that went straight to a Hull player without them having to make up space for it in the air, in fact all game the only one i can think of was one out of dummy half by Logan that Briscoe had read well and dropped back for on the 4th.
One kick in the 2nd half went straight to the hands of a Hull player on the Hull left and that was it.

Over on rlfans there is a thread going on about how poor the game was mainly down to the errors Hull made.

I don't think they are giving Wigan and Smith credit for realising it was raining (!) which makes it more likely players will drop the ball so put some kicks in!

Smiths kick along the ground to the in-goal which yielded a knock on was what he hoped would happen. Good play not poor play because Hull came up with the error. I clapped that kick not because the Hull player dropped it but because it was clever play by Smith.