The Time is Right??!!??

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: The Time is Right??!!?...

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN posted:
mrs_carney posted:
It was the wrong time to go and it was a really messy way to go. This is the first time faz has spoken publicly about his move and i for one am glad that he talked about wigan so much and not about union. I hope he does really well and has every success, shame about the timing but well, hopefully his grass will be greener on the other side. Good luck andy
There'd never have been a good time for him to go, though, and I suspect he was prevented from talking about it until everything was signed.

I think the comment from Lindsay was fair enough:

"Considering that Andrew has given this club almost 15 years of his life we felt that we owed him something. Simply insisting that he saw out the remaining 18 months of his contract wasn't the only point that had to be considered. At the end of the day Andrew is a friend of the Club and we had to consider his feelings and ambitions as well as our own. In the end we gave him our support to make the choice himself."

I know DaveO will disagree, though.
The quote you have from ML was on GMR's RL hour tonight. He also said a lot of other things that to me are quite contradictory.

While he said that the club could not stand in Farrell's way due to long service he then went on about how RL needs to do something to keep its best players.

He referred to thr RFL's comment very early in the Farrell saga about being happy to let market forces work with some disdain by saying the NRL stepped in when Andrew Johns was off.

He referred to the club GB thing with KFC and Rads as if he thought it should still be there.

He also said he thought long serving players should be excempt from the salary cap and GB players with a certain number of apearances should be also.

As to Farrell he said had he been one year into a five year deal he wold have told the RFU to shove it. How that squares with what he has said about not standing in Farrells way I am not sure.

I think he has lost the plot.

The only way you can keep hold of a player is if they are contracted to you. If at the end of their contract they want away there is nothing you can do about it which is fair enough.

So if he wants to keep top players in the game the answer is simple. Sign them to long term contracts and hold them to their contracts but don't expect excemptions from the salary cap or a resurection of Club GB because it aint going to happen.

I posted the above on RLFANS but I think the point is pretty clear. ML thinks you can dangle the dollar to keep players and clubs should be free to do so outside the salary cap.

I, OTOH, think the only way you can hold onto players is by getting them to sign a long term contract and holding them too it.

To me its just so obvious that is the case. If I am correct them we should have held Farrell to his deal.
So yes Geoff I do disagree but hopefully you can now see why.

Dave

Steph

Post by Steph »

Gud luck Andy show everybody how a true rugby league star can play. Gud luck for the future.

All the best

Lv Steph :D :eusa3:

p.s Go Andy Go Andy. We will miss ya :D :( [/b]
xxxxxxx Warriors 2008 xxxxxx
ooooooooooooo were the greatest club in the world
we've got barrett n kenny
edwards n hanley
boston n kevin iroooooo
we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

:conf: Well written DaveO, could'nt have put it better myself, but I can't bring myself to wish him good luck.
Any lets hope the team pick up their performance for todays game, and then I'll shut up.....Maybe
pandasdad

Post by pandasdad »

Like everybody else, I will miss Andy Farrell - not the most friendly bloke off the pitch, but certainly one of the most admirable on it. But I'm getting mixed messages. On the one hand I'm hearing that it's "the challenge" and then I hear Maurice once again prattling on about the salary cap. What is the implication? That irrespective of the challenge, if ML had been able to offer more money, Andy would have stayed? That being the case, where has the loyalty gone, leaving a club that, even if he was playing, is in desparate straits thanks to the inept buying and selling of the last couple of years.
Maybe Faz has looked at the team assembled by Maurice and thought that they had no hope of any silverware this season anyway. I hear Maurice considering buying 2 top class forwards for next season! What about this season? Are we to right it off yet again as a learning curve? That was supposed to have been 2 seasons ago, before we started selling off the youth with talent and buying old Aussie never beens.
Maybe it'll be alright if I suspend my season ticket payments until next season because basically ML has told us that there's nothing for us this season! His ineptitude of late tells me that he's lost the plot and that it's time he hung his boots up. He's pushed the loyalty of the fans too far!
we_need_a_coach

Post by we_need_a_coach »

:D Hear, hear, saying that Farrell looked at the squad and thought 'I'll get mi coat' is probably as near to the truth that we will ever find.

ML seems intent on continuing to bring in the Aussies why ? you've got to ask yourself, has he got a vested interest ?
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

we_need_a_coach posted:
ML seems intent on continuing to bring in the Aussies why ? you've got to ask yourself, has he got a vested interest ?
I think that's something most people on here will agree with.
TRICKY DICKY

Post by TRICKY DICKY »

I think faz will be on the pitch to say good by one last time before todays game.
ALL GOOD THINGS ARE WORTH WAITING FOR

WIGAN R.L.F.C. - A WAY OF LIFE
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Doug Stand posted:
He's 29 and crocked... now is the time for him to go for himself and for Wigan. You have to ask what difference Farrell would make this year. He may be the difference for an extra couple of wins. Make us a top 6 side even a top 4.. but that is it. No silverware and that's what it's all about. So let him go, say good luck and thanks and then get on the plane to Aus and come back with 2 top internationals.
True, at least we had the pleasure of a great player like andy but good luck to him and the bright side is at least we got some money for him now rather than in 18months when he would of gone anyway for nothing, i know its a negative thing him leaving but we've done alright without him so far its just a bit worse now that lockers is injured, hope its not to bad.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
TRICKY DICKY

Post by TRICKY DICKY »

I dont think its good news on the lockers front.

I heard today that it is cruciate ligament dammage.

It could be season ending

:( :( :( :(
ALL GOOD THINGS ARE WORTH WAITING FOR

WIGAN R.L.F.C. - A WAY OF LIFE
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

TRICKY DICKY posted:
I dont think its good news on the lockers front.

I heard today that it is cruciate ligament dammage.

It could be season ending

:( :( :( :(
It certainly looked horrible on the video. Where did you hear it?