Re: Offloads galore.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

God wrote:Powell, surely he has offloaded more in one match than some of our props have all year, would love too see that stat.

Yes he's not to grips with the game yet ( very lazy dummy running/ marker tackles slow in the defensive line moving across etc ) but he knows how to offload in very heavy traffic and take a gang tackle and still come out on top.

Limited game time means he's a luxury prop and i cant recall him missing a tackle.... For me the jury is still out, looking promising or still naff??
If his name was Hock he'd be slated for so many offloads!
Aluaka

Post by Aluaka »

I was impressed at his further improvement in the Leeds match. His offloads were generally pretty surprisingly good - and an improvement on the Hull match. Lack of support didn't help him at times.

Good to see him start the match even though he didn't play much of it as I think he sapped a bit of energy from some of the Leeds big lads.

I'm pretty positive in my views of Powell at the moment, lets hope his growth continues.
John Ferguson

Post by John Ferguson »

I think he looks like he has potential. His enthusiasm was good even if at times it was a bit school boyish inn that it looked like he was just following the ball. His tackling sound and only 1 dodgy off load which Leeds knocked on anyway. The difference between Powell's offloads and Hocks are that Powell's are to his teammates and Hocks were just anywhere at times.

I think Powell will have a good season next year but its just too early for him to make the best 17 at the moment assuming everybody is fit.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO wrote:
God wrote:Powell, surely he has offloaded more in one match than some of our props have all year, would love too see that stat.

Yes he's not to grips with the game yet ( very lazy dummy running/ marker tackles slow in the defensive line moving across etc ) but he knows how to offload in very heavy traffic and take a gang tackle and still come out on top.

Limited game time means he's a luxury prop and i cant recall him missing a tackle.... For me the jury is still out, looking promising or still naff??
Difference is that Hock can sometime throw the ball without looking. Powell will always look for a player that is 1 good habit about union forwards especially 6,7 and 8 will look to get the ball offloaded in the tackle.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

DaveO wrote:

Only if they went to nground or the touch line or the other team
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Brilliant! He's exactly what we've been looking for. A prop who doesn't go forward; is slower than anyone else; hasn't got a clue about defence; can only play 20 minutes a match but does lots of offloads when he is stationary and the player who receives it is immediately tackled.

If I was Crosby, I'd be looking to move on if someone like Powell is ahead of me in the coach's thinking.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

medlocke wrote:
DaveO wrote:

Only if they went to nground or the touch line or the other team
Which of course in your world they always did. :doz:

Offloads require players to take advantage of them and no one did last night and no one did when Hock was attempting them either. Our support play has been poor for several seasons and without it you can offload as much as you like but if the players taking the pass are stood still they aren't much use.

Lauaki offloads as well. He's still rubbish and Powell will have to do a darn sight more than offload to be an effective forward in RL. It's quite telling IMO that people pick up on Powell's offloads as it just shows how generally crap we have been in this area when a 32 year old RU forward who largely still doesn't know what he is doing receives praise for this.
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

Southern Softy wrote:Brilliant! He's exactly what we've been looking for. A prop who doesn't go forward; is slower than anyone else; hasn't got a clue about defence; can only play 20 minutes a match but does lots of offloads when he is stationary and the player who receives it is immediately tackled.

If I was Crosby, I'd be looking to move on if someone like Powell is ahead of me in the coach's thinking.
I agree with everything you say. Andy Powell plays more like Sandy Powell :wink:
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

DaveO wrote:

Correct, and if I was the coach Hock would be in my team. Last night our pack was dominated by the Leeds six which also contained two pensioners (in rugby league parlance).
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Wire opt for the off load game plan, both Smith brothers do/did. It is a higher risk strategy than the Melbourne/Bellamy/Madge way of controlling possessions / field position. On its day the offload game plan is unbeatable but when it fails it can look bad and you get idiotic disparaging comments from so called media experts and even a section of your own so called fans. Hock exemplified this reaction.

Wigan currently opt for neither.