Six Warriors in England World Cup Squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Six Warriors in England World Cup Squad

Post by josie andrews »

England Coach Steve McNamara has today named his 23 man squad for the forthcoming World Cup. Wigan Warriors have six players named.

Congratulations to Sam Tomkins, Josh Charnley, Lee Mossop, Michael McIlorum, Liam Farrell and Sean O'Loughlin on their selections.

Speaking about the squad Steve McNamara said,

"After three years of excellent preparation and the success of the England elite training programme during that period, we are ready for the Rugby League World Cup 2013.

"We are fully aware that the Rugby League World Cup 2013 will be fiercely contested and that this squad will need to work extremely hard and play to a very high level to win the tournament and we believe we have selected a squad capable of doing just that.

"As we have seen in previous tournaments, we will need all members of the squad ready to step up and make vital contributions and we feel that all 24 players have the ability to do that.

"To have a World Cup on home soil is a massive opportunity for the sport and I hope the public will turn up in their numbers and show their support for England."

England begin their preparations with a training camp in Potchefstroom, South Africa.

The majority of the squad will fly out tomorrow, with the Wigan and Warrington players involved in Saturday's Grand Final going out on Monday.

Huddersfield second rower Brett Ferres will also travel to South Africa, although he has not been named in the squad.

England have a warm-up game against Italy at Salford on Saturday, October 19, a week before their opening match against Australia in Cardiff.

England's 24-man World Cup squad: Carl Ablett (Leeds), Tom Briscoe (Hull), George Burgess, Sam Burgess, Tom Burgess (all South Sydney), Rob Burrow (Leeds), Josh Charnley (Wigan), Rangi Chase (Castleford), Leroy Cudjoe (Huddersfield), Liam Farrell (Wigan), James Graham (Canterbury Bulldogs), Ryan Hall (Leeds), Zak Hardaker (Leeds), Chris Hill (Warrington), Gareth Hock (Widnes), Michael McIlorum (Wigan), Lee Mossop (Wigan), Sean O'Loughlin (Wigan), James Roby (St Helens), Kevin Sinfield (Leeds, capt), Sam Tomkins (Wigan), Kallum Watkins (Leeds), Ben Westwood (Warrington), Gareth Widdop (Melbourne).

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Six Warriors in England World Cup Squad

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

What worries me is Sinfield being made captain, that means he plays unless injured! In my view we should pick our team and then decide on the captain.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:What worries me is Sinfield being made captain, that means he plays unless injured! In my view we should pick our team and then decide on the captain.
It worries me too SEF, with the squad of players the banana man can choose from yet he will stick with Sinfield who IMO is bench level at very best.
We have far better 6's, 9's and 13's to choose from in Widopp, Tomkins, Chase, McCilorum, Lunt, Robey, Burgess, Ferres and Lockers (if fit).
I would opt for Sam in the halves ahead of Sinfield any day of the week with Hardaker at fullback.
Rant over.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think McNamara was committed to Chase and Sinfield 2 years ago and has had to stick with that whether they are clearly better than the rest, simply because he wants to build the team around them. I can follow the logic, even though I have my doubts. It is very important for Wigan that the World Cup is a success - in the years ahead, knowing there's a World Cup to play for could make the difference when players are considering leaving the club and the code altogether.
I hope the DW is pretty full whoever plays there in the quarter finals and we put on a great show for the country and the world. We would find it easier getting sponsors and potentially turn the corner as a game.
Finally, I am looking forward to seeing some exceptional unknown south sea islanders - and us signing a couple!
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

The most in form half back Matty Smith not even in the squad and if Watkins and Cudjoe are going to be out centres we will get pumped around the outside yet again. How Goulding is not in is beyond me. Watkins I can understand but Cudjoe is dog end.
Up The Mont!
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

TonyH wrote:The most in form half back Matty Smith not even in the squad and if Watkins and Cudjoe are going to be out centres we will get pumped around the outside yet again. How Goulding is not in is beyond me. Watkins I can understand but Cudjoe is dog end.
Dream Team and not in the National squad... same old rugby league eh. I'm happy Hock is included.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

I have a feeling if Lockers pulls out because of this achilles injury then Widdop and Chase will be the halves and Sinfield will be the loose.

Personally if Lockers does pull out my pack would be.

Hill McIlorum Graham
Westwood Hock
S Burgess
Up The Mont!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

mickw wrote:Englands biggest weakness is mcnamara.
:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan