Clubb & Sarginson

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
AdamMac

Clubb & Sarginson

Post by AdamMac »

Yet another player breaking the news about signing for Wigan but no announcement from the club, why? tad annoying to say the least.

Anyway, funny what a couple of months and a couple of trophies does for you. If what Phil writes is accurate and Wane has said we aren't getting a direct replacement for Pat is true I would of been livid 2 months ago, been on here saying how much of a tight b@stard IL is (still is actually) but now i'm less annoyed. I just hope Joe Burgess is given the 5 shirt with Sarginson etc providing cover.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -6154723
josie andrews

Chubb signs for Wigan

Post by josie andrews »

Exclusive: Warriors sign London’s Clubb

Warriors news
by Tom McCooey
EXCLUSIVE
Published on the
17 October
09:11
Print this

LONDON Bronco Tony Clubb has confirmed he is heading to Wigan for 2014.

The move for the 26-year-old second rower or centre was reported weeks ago – along with the swoop for his team-mate Dan Sarginson – though there has been no comment from either party.

Now, Clubb has told the Evening Post he has signed a deal and can’t wait to begin work at his new club.

“It must be three to four weeks ago – just after the regular season finished,” he said.

“Wigan sells itself doesn’t it so it’s a no-brainer. If Wigan want to sign you then you go.

“With the situation down in London it was the best thing for me to go.”

Clubb asked for a release on the remaining year of his Broncos contract in the summer, and branded the situation at the club as ‘pathetic’ in August owing to speculation the club is on the brink of collapse – a situation which still sees no confirmed resolution.

And with offers on the table, Clubb felt it was the right time to leave the capital.

“There were a few offers but Wigan had just won the Challenge Cup – they are a great team, a winning team and it is going to be good moving up to Wigan,” he said.

He is also looking forward to a change in culture from being at a club which fails to draw huge interest in its local area,

“I can’t wait to play in the big games,” Clubb said.

“The derby games – we don’t get that here in London so and I’m looking forward to the atmosphere at Wigan.”

Clubb became the 10th player to score four tries in a match for England in the 36-10 Four Nations win against Papua New Guinea in 2010.

Meeting new colleagues is also something Clubb said he was looking forward to, and earmarked playing for Shaun Wane as something he is relishing, despite the coach’s tough reputation.

“I’m really looking forward to meeting with Shaun Wane, (His style is) not new to me, I had similar under Brian McDermott and I played for England so I’m hoping Shaun Wane can do that for me again at Wigan.”

Utility back Sarginson,20, is expected to be unveiled in the next few days, but was unavailable for comment.

With Wane telling the Wigan Observer this week he is not looking for a direct replacement for Pat Richards, heading back to Wests Tigers after an eight-year stay in Wigan, Sarginson could be on his way to the champions as a development prospect.

North Queensland Cowboys legend Matty Bowen will plug the gap left by Sam Tomkins for 12 months, giving young fullbacks Ryan

Hampshire and Lewis Tierney the opportunity to learn their trade from one of the great NRL No.1s before being expected to face Super League action on a regular basis.

Sarginson’s place in this year’s England Knights squad illustrates the Hemel-raised, Australian-born player’s potential.

The pair will become the fourth and fifth additions to Wigan’s 2014 Super League squad, offsetting the numerical loss of Richards, Tomkins, Chris Tuson and Lee Mossop.

The pack will be bolstered by the addition of Leigh’s Sam Hopkins and South Sydney Rabbitohs prop Ed Pettybourne, who English fans will catch a glimpse of in the upcoming World Cup thanks to the Kiwi’s addition to the USA squad.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-6154723
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Clubb & Sarginson

Post by josie andrews »

Posted together :wink:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I'm completely underwhelmed!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Kittwazzer wrote:I'm completely underwhelmed!
Likewise. My big worry is that he blocks youngsters coming through unless he gets an established first teamer getting a 'serious' injury.
sheepsteeth

Post by sheepsteeth »

you know better than me CP but what's the score with Luaki?

To me it looks like pettybourne and hopkins have been signed for the front row, so they could be replacing Mossop and Luaki?

Clubb seems like a replacement for Tuson, but also with the ability to play centre if needed during a game.

Sarginson covers all over the place, he could be like our Stefan Ratchford, his performances a couple of years ago looked very promising, hopefully a change of environment will make him reach the potential he showed.

Again others know better than me but is there a chance of Tierney playing on the wing at some point to get some game time? In the past lot's of Full Backs started there to get experience.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whatever the merits of either player there are no other club is going to lose any sleep over having missed out on them.

We really have given up on moving for star players it seems.

With the transfer money received (have people forgotten about this already?) we should be making offers UK clubs can't refuse for whoever we think are the best player in the positions we need to fill. As we did when we brought Fielden here in 2006. If we don't and sign players such as these then the transfers out of our club are even less justifiable than they already are.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The problem I have is this;

We have Faz, H, Lockers, Petty as established back rowers. You then thow in Flower who can play anywhere in the pack. Add Greg Burke, Sam Hopkins and Jack Hughes we have IMO 7 'mature' back rowers for 3 positions. Throw in Clubb and you have 8 before you start looking at U19s who are potential future top drawer quality. Can we keep so many quality players happy? You can see why the club did not try to snatch Tuson back but if that was so why Clubb?

Is Clubb a viable centre anymore?
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

DaveO wrote:Whatever the merits of either player there are no other club is going to lose any sleep over having missed out on them.

We really have given up on moving for star players it seems.

With the transfer money received (have people forgotten about this already?) we should be making offers UK clubs can't refuse for whoever we think are the best player in the positions we need to fill. As we did when we brought Fielden here in 2006. If we don't and sign players such as these then the transfers out of our club are even less justifiable than they already are.
Why sign expensive stars when many less expensive players may be just as good, especially if they are being signed as short term signings while our own youngsters gain more experience in our large squad system.

The days of our game signing expensive players from down under and also from Union, especially Wales has gone and time some face that fact.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

I've had my pop at Shaun Wane over the past couple of months thinking that just because I have been watching rugby longer than he's been on the planet I should know more than him.Well if the silverware in our showcase does not say ow't about his coaching skills then what the hell will. I've questioned his selection of players, his signings,and at times him as a person.But the fact that he produced the silverware that I along with others doubted he would do. It kind of tells me it's time we accept that perhaps he along with IL and the other coaching staff do in fact know more about the kind of players they are bringing into the club and maybe just maybe we don't.Of course we will get the odd mistaken signing that's par for the course.Or are we going to start doubting the talent of every player? Remember how many people jumped on here stating that Brett Finch was crap etc etc.And look how he turned out!Of course we are all entitled to make known our views as regards signings but don't be so quick to judge a player until we have seen him play in our colours or you will surely end up with the same egg on your faces as I did after asking for Shaun Wane to make way for a proper coach. :D