o'loughlin

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
warrior4life

o'loughlin

Post by warrior4life »

i c o'loughlin is out for eight weeks or more with a cruciate ligament damage thats a big los what do u all think ? :(
Fraggle

Re: o'loughlin

Post by Fraggle »

warrior4life posted:
i c o'loughlin is out for eight weeks or more with a cruciate ligament damage thats a big los what do u all think ? :(
Without wanting to make this obvious, isn't it a big loss for any of our senior players to be missing for several weeks? We've already had a rapidly diminishing squad which wasn't particularly big at the start of the season. Having lost Davico, Farrell and Hock for the season, with Carney being a permanent resident in the surgery and Sculthorpe not much better we were already a bit short of players from our first choice 17. Not a new problem, the injury list has been like this for the last couple of years, but perhaps we need to spending that £1.8m on 30 players instead of 24.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Fraggle posted:
Not a new problem, the injury list has been like this for the last couple of years, but perhaps we need to spending that £1.8m on 30 players instead of 24.
You are right it is not a new problem for us but our squad is size 27 with the recent addition of Tomkins - who is also currently inured (ribs) :(

Even so the 27 are an inpexperienced 27.

If O'Loughlin is out for 8 weeks I am releived because I thought it was another season ending injury.

We really could do with a couple of decent and experienced players on loan until the end of the season but in the absence of anyone comeing in then I think some re-jigging of Betts usual line up is called for.

Colbon should start on the wing. Aspwinall moves to centre and Wilde goes back into the second row. That leaves us with Hansen to come off the bench and at loose forward then Beswick or Allen (the latter is the stronger player physicaly I think so I's give it to him).

I think our squad is too lightweight to go a season and win someting and I expect our performances to tail off toward the end as fatigue sets in on the younger players but I am hopeful of a few more results like we had over easter.

I don't think we are as badly off as it looked when both Faz and Davico became issues. It is a pity about Hock and O'Loughlin as with those two in given the way the team have played I'd say we had become and outside bet for a CC final spot.

Dave
wolftown warrior

Post by wolftown warrior »

8 weeks is a long time, i to thought he would be gone for the year.. the way they bent his leg in the tackle was aweful..

dunno if 8 weeks is a positive???? or a negative?? but it will be good to get him back for when it matters most!!
Red Hot Mama

Post by Red Hot Mama »

Dave[/quote]

I usually tend to agree with you on most of the things you say but how can you say this.

How about Radders, Dallas, SeuSeu, Orr, Brown, Newton, Vaealiki, Guisset and even Moran they are not what you would call inexperienced. Some may be new to the team but have played at a decent level else where. Brown has been pretty well established in the squad for a year or so now. I know the rest of the fit players are youngsters but we have enough of the older players there to be a steadying influence.
Brian's Girl

warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

well that isnt as bad as first thaught. After the way the leg went back on sky it looked like he would of been out for the season.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Red Hot Mama posted:

Dave
I usually tend to agree with you on most of the things you say but how can you say this.

How about Radders, Dallas, SeuSeu, Orr, Brown, Newton, Vaealiki, Guisset and even Moran they are not what you would call inexperienced. Some may be new to the team but have played at a decent level else where. Brown has been pretty well established in the squad for a year or so now. I know the rest of the fit players are youngsters but we have enough of the older players there to be a steadying influence.
Depends on your definition of experienced. To me, experienced in Wigan terms is GB international and experience of being in a Final (and preferably winning a final although our recent successes haven't exactly been numerous!) as well as the number of appearances total (and even the likes of Brown haven't played that many games). Look at the 2002 Challenge Cup final team, and look how many are still with us. That team has experienced what's needed to win, and was loaded with internationals with lots of match experience. Our team now has lots of players who are still learning the ropes and getting used to Superleague.

Looking at the "who is fit now" situation, we're very light on experienced players. How many of even the players with a couple of years or more SL/NFL experience are going to be in the squad this weekend, given our injury list. Not so many. Remember, we need 17 players to make a squad, 13 to start a game. An experienced team has more than 6 of those 13 having played more than a season's worth of games.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
warrior4life

Post by warrior4life »

o'loughlin is out for the season now :(
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Fraggle posted:
Red Hot Mama posted:

Dave
I missed the "on the whole" part out of it. We have only 17 players on over £20K I reckon which gives you an idea of the experience level in the squad overall. Outside the obvious players the rest are very young with "experienced" players suchg as Tickle being all of 21 years old.

In terms of who we have fit at the minute the balance is definately with the inexperienced!

Dave
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

anybody know whats up with hargreaves apparnantly hes injured as well
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3