Sarginson can’t wait to get stuck in

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Sarginson can’t wait to get stuck in

Post by josie andrews »

DAN Sarginson’s life as a Warrior gets under way in two weeks’ time.

The 20-year-old Hemel-raised utility back is hoping the two-year deal he has signed with Wigan can help him realise ambitions to become a senior international following his appearance for England Knights in their win over Samoa last week.

With the World Cup in full swing, Sarginson is focused on getting a head start in pre-season training to make the most of what he describes as dream opporunity.

“I can’t wait. It will be a clean start and obviously the boys have just won the double so it will be good getting into the Wigan mentality,” he told the Evening Post.

“I can’t wait to rip in. I’ve wanted to play for Wigan for a long time and as soon as it came up I lept at the opportunity.”

Sarginson has admired Wigan since being a junior and hopes, with the club’s track record of developing stars, he can become the best player he can be under Shaun Wane’s guidance.

“I’ve always looked at Wigan as the best club in Super League, if not the World, in terms of player development and one of my ambitions is to break into the England elite training squad so it’s always been a dream to play for Wigan,” he added. He is also looking forward to working with one Warrior in particular next term.

“Sean O’Loughlin is the ultimate rugby player,” said Sarginson.

“He runs like a forward and he plays like a back. He is a leader and if I do get to play this year I can’t wait to play under him.”

He has played with a handful of his new clubmates already for the Knights and so far his early impressions have left the future star impressed.

“I got on with them really well,” he said.

“I was rooming with Sam Powell and he’s a good bloke. I can’t wait to meet the rest of the squad.”

Until then, he will keep a close eye on his new colleagues during the World Cup, which Sarginson admits to having watched every game so far.

“I’ve been pretty boring and stayed in to watch,” he laughed.

“Every game has been a real competition and it’s great to see full stadiums.”

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-6200174
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan