Logan Tomkins

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kaii

Logan Tomkins

Post by Kaii »

Be truthful he'll never be a starting hooker and he is only at Wigan thanks to Sam & Joel, now his brothers have deserted the team that gave them their big break why should we keep him.
If by some miracle he does turn in to a great player his first instinct will be to leave so why bother. This might come across as a bit of a nasty post but this isn't a baby sitting service while you go out clubbing, he doesn't pull his weight so why have him.
Also maybe if we ever get in this situation again they might take in to consideration that if they leave little perks they had at the club family wise will stop also
Kittwazzer

Re: Logan Tomkins

Post by Kittwazzer »

Kaii wrote:Be truthful he'll never be a starting hooker and he is only at Wigan thanks to Sam & Joel, now his brothers have deserted the team that gave them their big break why should we keep him.
If by some miracle he does turn in to a great player his first instinct will be to leave so why bother. This might come across as a bit of a nasty post but this isn't a baby sitting service while you go out clubbing, he doesn't pull his weight so why have him.
Also maybe if we ever get in this situation again they might take in to consideration that if they leave little perks they had at the club family wise will stop also
Fair comment. If he can't make the team on merit, let him go. A rationale that should apply to all members of the squad!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I thought Logan played well v Hull when he played the whole match, much better than coming on as he does to give Macca a break
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I would have to disagree Kaii and find some of your wording somewhat in poor taste.

The wording!
brothers have deserted the team that gave them their big break
his first instinct will be to leave so why bother

None of the Tomkins first instinct was to leave Wigan RLFC. BOTH Joel and SAM spent 10 year or more at Wigan RLFC. Joel was high sought after, Sam was not; Wigan wanted Eastmond; had Saints not got Eastmond Wigan would have happily waved goodby to Sam before he emerged. Sam spent time carrying the sand bucket for the Coyle brothers and was on pay as you play non contractual for a spell.

Neither brother DESERTED Wigan. They were both made fantastic offers and when your career is so short, when the amount you can earn in your chosen sport is restricted YOUR TRUE LOYALTY IS YOURSELF & YOUR FAMILY.

Is Scott Taylor a deserter? John Bateman? Ben Flowers? Gill Dudson?

Logan Tomkins!

A high quality junior, very well coached with a great skill set. His one drawback is that if he can add 1/2 yard pace OR some 'strong' bounce off tackler running style then he could be an excellent hooker.

He is also IMO BETTER when starting rather than coming off the bench because he does not have that IMPACT super fast or super strong rugged running style.

LEST fans forget, much of what you say re the player is much the same fans said about Micky Mac and look at him now. Players do develop / improve.

Kaii

Post by Kaii »

They both deserted Wigan and you cannot compare other players or team because you don't get bigger than Wigan in league. I didn't say i couldn't understand their reasons for going but they did desert the club that made them, for financial benefits even though they were both on a good wage and Sam could double that with tv work.
Two brothers both left at their peak (while the club was doing well) says something, logan hasn't shown enough to deserve to stay and coincidentally he was dropped once Sam officially made his decision.

btw after all the stuff said about Shaun Wane, Blake Green and Matty Smith by certain people saying this is in poor taste is a bit rich
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Kaii wrote:They both deserted Wigan and you cannot compare other players or team because you don't get bigger than Wigan in league. I didn't say i couldn't understand their reasons for going but they did desert the club that made them, for financial benefits even though they were both on a good wage and Sam could double that with tv work.
Two brothers both left at their peak (while the club was doing well) says something, logan hasn't shown enough to deserve to stay and coincidentally he was dropped once Sam officially made his decision.

btw after all the stuff said about Shaun Wane, Blake Green and Matty Smith by certain people saying this is in poor taste is a bit rich
'Desert' is a very strong word Kaii
de·sert 3 (d-zûrt)
v. de·sert·ed, de·sert·ing, de·serts
v.tr.
1. To leave empty or alone; abandon.
2. To withdraw from, especially in spite of a responsibility or duty; forsake: deserted her friend in a time of need.
3. To abandon (a military post, for example) in violation of orders or an oath.
v.intr.
To forsake one's duty or post, especially to be absent without leave from the armed forces with no intention of returning.
I am sorry but it does not fit any RL player let alone the Tomkins.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Kaii wrote:Be truthful he'll never be a starting hooker and he is only at Wigan thanks to Sam & Joel, now his brothers have deserted the team that gave them their big break why should we keep him.
You are right on two counts, he is less talented than his brothers and yes your post is nasty.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Needs to be given 1 more season to prove himself. Took MM a few seasons to become a very good player. Easy to target him as not been good enough given his brothers, but as a Hooker he is still young.

KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Not a lot going on club wise being it's close season so it's only reasonable that supporters look to the not so obvious fall guy/ This time it happens to be Logan.And the side swipe at Sam and Joel.Not that I agree with the main thrust of the post other than to say that yes it is rather tasteless.
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

thegimble wrote:Needs to be given 1 more season to prove himself. Took MM a few seasons to become a very good player. Easy to target him as not been good enough given his brothers, but as a Hooker he is still young.
IMO without the Tomkins name he wouldn't be here at all, nowhere near good enough. This one more season thing would be fine if he is a newish signing but he isn't, we've seen what he can do and it's not impressive.

btw i'll swap my nasty comment and use the word realistic, Logon this season also took a hammering on here for not being good enough all i've said it might be time to get shut.
As for Sam & Joel they were massive players for us who decided to leave, no one wanted them to go and them leaving weakened the first team. Don't pretend you are perfectly fine with this we have a right to be pissed off at our best players leave (which you all complained about during the season anyway, please spell h y p o c r i t e).
At least i waited until the end of the season to voice my concerns unlike many who piled on when the team needed their support. I like some of the others where called sunshiners, happy clappers and the classic cinema goers, we just knew at the time support was the most important thing and stuff like this can wait.