Wales knocked out of World Cup after losing to the United States

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Wales knocked out of World Cup after losing to the United States

Post by josie andrews »

The Wales coach, Iestyn Harris, put on a brave face after his side crashed out of the World Cup by losing a second consecutive match to a qualifying team.

Their 24-16 Group D defeat by the United States at Wrexham on Sunday, followed the 32-16 loss to Italy at the Millennium Stadium in their opening group match and Harris said: "It's a bad result but, as the World Cup has shown, I don't think you can tag anybody as a bad team because, come the World Cup, they come from all over the world.

"There wasn't one USA man in the whole squad. There's a lot of Australian-based players in there who are of a very good quality."

The defeat rendered meaningless Wales' final pool match against Cook Islands in Neath on Sunday but it left the Tomahawks contemplating a quarter-final against Australia in Wrexham.

There was no hint of the shock to come when Christiaan Roets gave Wales the lead with the first of his two tries but they conceded 24 points before producing a late rally.

Harris bemoaned his side's poor decision making and said: "We had probably 20 or 25 opportunities in the game to score points. We took a lot of wrong options

"We're not a good enough side to be at 50-60 per cent and expect to win games. We weren't anywhere near where we needed to be. We didn't deserve to win.

"The USA were dogged and they stayed with us. It was up to us to put that game to bed and we weren't good enough."

At Derwent Park, meanwhile, Ben Hellewell's second try earned Scotland a 30-30 draw against Italy in Group C.

Inspired by Danny Brough, Scotland, who had beaten Tonga five days earlier, seemed on course for another victory when they led 14-0. But Italy came back and, as the Scots faded in the second half, went ahead 30-26 before Hellewell intervened to deny them victory.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/n ... -scotland?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kaii

Re: Wales knocked out of World Cup after losing to the United...

Post by Kaii »

USA have played surprisingly well this World Cup, the no USA man thing is harsh since when i heard the Italian side talk non of them sounded like Mario or Luigi
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Kaii wrote:USA have played surprisingly well this World Cup, the no USA man thing is harsh since when i heard the Italian side talk non of them sounded like Mario or Luigi
But it does sort of make a mockery of the 'World' Cup!
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

Kittwazzer wrote:
Kaii wrote:USA have played surprisingly well this World Cup, the no USA man thing is harsh since when i heard the Italian side talk non of them sounded like Mario or Luigi
No this has been a fantastic World Cup for a sport that needed a little boost, USA's success will encourage more Americans to take up the sport. I have a good feeling about this one that our sport is about to get a massive boost, maybe on the next WC they can field a full team of nationals
doc

Post by doc »

Wales half backs were non existant despite a decent show form their forwards. Too mant poor options cost them the match.

Scotland on the other hand did vey well against a good Italian team due to the presence of Danny Brough.

Why on earth was Brough not selected for England?

Kaii

Post by Kaii »

doc wrote:Why on earth was Brough not selected for England?
And create competition for Sir Kev how dare you sir!
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Kaii wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:
No this has been a fantastic World Cup for a sport that needed a little boost, USA's success will encourage more Americans to take up the sport. I have a good feeling about this one that our sport is about to get a massive boost, maybe on the next WC they can field a full team of nationals
Hear, Hear !

And Wales are no longer a force due to the lack of quality Welsh players coming into our game now like in the past.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Kaii wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:
Clint Newton is USA born and I thought that there are some USA team members from the USA-Canada domestic comp?

USA have surprised me with their know-how, especially at half-back and general team spirit. USA have probably been the biggest plus and Wales the biggest minus so far...