Betts does talk rubbish sometimes!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: Betts does talk rubbish so...

Post by thegimble »

GeoffN posted:
"Denis Betts described yesterday's remarkable 21-15 comeback victory at Hull as better than beating St Helens on Good Friday"

What nonsense! Nothing is ever better than beating the scum!

'wnac' is right, he's got to go if this is the way he thinks!
I agree that nothing comes close to beating the Saints but lets be honest he takes a depleted squad to Hull goes 14-0 down and manages to get a win. Can anyone imagine how he feels.

That result more than the Saints result must have satisfied him remember we played the Saints in the biggest derby in rugby in the world. Hull played the Broncos on Friday a far easier game and had far less injury worries.

Like a few here i do have some reservations about Betts. But 1 thing is for sure he can motivate the young guys at Wigan like no one else can and that motivation on Monday won the match as well as him taking Newton off in the first half against the Saints. That changed the game as Newton played as well as anyone i have ever seen in the second half.
waterside glens

Re: Betts does talk rubbis...

Post by waterside glens »

from the position of coach the win at hull was a much better victory and as a fan ................ i don,t need to state the obvious
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Iv'e always rated that Denis Betts :wink:
Lancaster Rugby

Post by Lancaster Rugby »

Denis Betts - Wigan Warriors
Played 8, Won 5, Position 3rd

Senior players are dropping like flies around the JJB, but Betts has obviously got his young players to dig deep to produce some gutsy performances.

Betts is doing a fantastic job and the Easter double over St Helens and Hull was nothing short of miraculous.

From the BBC website - they obviously agree!!
The only way is up....!
hayley 04

Post by hayley 04 »

I do wonder though how much of us doing well is down to Dean Bell. If they do give the boot to Denis then surely the natural successor would be the wonderful Dean Bell. He was an outstanding player/captain for us ans would surely make an even better coach. On the other hand I wouldn't want to lose him if things didn't go well so maybe not!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

hayley 04 posted:
I do wonder though how much of us doing well is down to Dean Bell. If they do give the boot to Denis then surely the natural successor would be the wonderful Dean Bell. He was an outstanding player/captain for us ans would surely make an even better coach. On the other hand I wouldn't want to lose him if things didn't go well so maybe not!
He had a go whilst at Leeds, wasn't a massive success IIRC but maybe he's decided coaching isn't for him. He also did the Assistant Coaching thang whilst Happy Frank was here, so I guess if he were interested he'd be able to say he had the experience. I would assume from the fact he's not been coach at Wigan that he's happier working behind the scenes bringing on the next generation of player, as he did after his stint in charge at Leeds.

As for Hanley, I remember what happened when he had to work for a stubborn, interfering, difficult-to-work-with board and chairman when he was at St Helens. It's not unfair to say he lost the plot at times (somewhere I remember writing down some really bizarre quotes from his press conferences). Of course I'm not suggesting our Chairman is stubborn, interfering and difficult to work with, but on the other hand...
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
hayley 04

Post by hayley 04 »

No i don't think Hanley would make a good coach somehow. Look at his record with Castleford, Leeds and SH. Although i think he was a good player, good players don't always make good coaches!
StevosShrink

Re: Betts does talk rubbish so...

Post by StevosShrink »

This club needs stability, sacking Denis Betts is the most ridiculous thing I have heard this year - our young players are outstanding, they need patience and support if they are to achieve what is massive potential. To suggest that Ellery Hanley could come in and do a job for us is garbage - one good season with top class, established, players at Saints does not make him a world class coach.

Get behind the team and stop whining, the days of any club totally dominating are over and the game is better for it.

Live with it.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

StevosShrink posted:
This club needs stability, sacking Denis Betts is the most ridiculous thing I have heard this year - our young players are outstanding, they need patience and support if they are to achieve what is massive potential. To suggest that Ellery Hanley could come in and do a job for us is garbage - one good season with top class, established, players at Saints does not make him a world class coach.

Get behind the team and stop whining, the days of any club totally dominating are over and the game is better for it.

Live with it.
:eusa2:
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

StevosShrink posted:

Live with it.
Nobody's whining, just expressing opinions. Whilst it is all hypothetical, it's difficult to knock Hanley's credentials. As for what he did at Saints, what did you want him to do - sack all the good players to prove he can improve the kids?

Oh and Hayley 04, if you think Hanley was merely "good" you must be really disappointed with our current crop. The guy was as near to the perfect rugby player you will ever see.