Warm up game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cow yeds

Warm up game

Post by cow yeds »

josie andrews

Re: Warm up game

Post by josie andrews »

Bugger!! We'll still be in Singapore so won't get chance to see it ????????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
MT Smart

Post by MT Smart »

This game comes with a three day turn around after playing the Gold coast Titans , it also pushes the NZ Warriors to a three day lead in to their NRL nines aspirations ( they are more serious about trying to win the inaugural comp in their home town than anyone else ).

Our Ceo tried to get out of commiting to this game ( see the article below )

IL did a good job leaning on his NRL partners to stump up a an extra game in their preparation week for the Auckland nines.

I can't wait to get along and support my new born again Wigan faith !

We say GO THE WARRIORS ! well that will boost the Wigan lads when they hear that crowd chant no end.

Warriors ! Warriors ! Warriors ! will be a bit of a laugh for the Wigan side to hear that in Hamilton.

Stuff.co.nz

Scurrah dampens Warriors vs Wigan rumours
CHRIS BARCLAY
Last updated 05:00 23/11/2013

Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah has downplayed rumours that the Mt Smart Stadium-based NRL side are lining up a pre-season trial with Super League champions Wigan Warriors early next season.

Wigan will travel to Australia next February, where they are scheduled NRL champions the Roosters in the annual World Club Challenge fixture.

Though a date for the game is yet to be announced, it is likely to be played in Sydney on February 22.
It is understood that Wigan will travel Down Under two weeks before the match to acclimatise.

Wigan Today reported earlier in the week that the Super League champions were in talks with the Warriors, and Papua New Guinea, about a potential warm-up match before the Sydney game.

However, Scurrah has poured cold water on the rumours, saying the February window for a game against Wigan is already too tight for the Warriors.

"We've said we want to establish a relationship with Wigan, but we haven't confirmed anything for the coming season," Scurrah told Sunday News.

"We want to play trial games against each other at some point, but nothing is planned at this point.
"The reality is that whilst the desire is there, the schedule is pretty tight."

The Warriors traditionally play three pre-season trials every season, with matches against the Titans at North Harbour Stadium on February 9, and the Broncos at Dunedin's indoor stadium on February 22, already penned in.

The weekend that separates the two scheduled trials will see the Warriors, and all 15 other NRL sides, take place in the first NRL Auckland Nines tournament, at Eden Park on February 15 and 16.

Next year's NRL fixtures are yet to be announced, but last year's NRL season started on March 7 and the 2014 edition would likely be around a similar time.

Sccurah is in the United Kingdom, where he met Wigan owner Ian Lenagan on Friday to discuss links between the two clubs.

Scurrah, who attended the Kiwis World Cup semi-final against England in London this morning, also bought over spare pairs of football boots over for the Warriors members of the national squad.

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

josie andrews wrote:Bugger!! We'll still be in Singapore so won't get chance to see it ????????
Would it not have been better to wait for comfirmation of the warm up game before booking?

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
josie andrews wrote:Bugger!! We'll still be in Singapore so won't get chance to see it ????????
Would it not have been better to wait for comfirmation of the warm up game before booking?

The warm up game was originally PNG which I wasn't bothered about

And in answer to your question NO :exc:

We got great deals on superior flights & hotel accomodation for far less than others are now paying & a lot are going for a shorter period :exc:
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

MT Smart wrote:This game comes with a three day turn around after playing the Gold coast Titans , it also pushes the NZ Warriors to a three day lead in to their NRL nines aspirations ( they are more serious about trying to win the inaugural comp in their home town than anyone else ).

Our Ceo tried to get out of commiting to this game ( see the article below )

IL did a good job leaning on his NRL partners to stump up a an extra game in their preparation week for the Auckland nines.

I can't wait to get along and support my new born again Wigan faith !

We say GO THE WARRIORS ! well that will boost the Wigan lads when they hear that crowd chant no end.

Warriors ! Warriors ! Warriors ! will be a bit of a laugh for the Wigan side to hear that in Hamilton.

Stuff.co.nz

Scurrah dampens Warriors vs Wigan rumours
CHRIS BARCLAY
Last updated 05:00 23/11/2013

Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah has downplayed rumours that the Mt Smart Stadium-based NRL side are lining up a pre-season trial with Super League champions Wigan Warriors early next season.

Wigan will travel to Australia next February, where they are scheduled NRL champions the Roosters in the annual World Club Challenge fixture.

Though a date for the game is yet to be announced, it is likely to be played in Sydney on February 22.
It is understood that Wigan will travel Down Under two weeks before the match to acclimatise.

Wigan Today reported earlier in the week that the Super League champions were in talks with the Warriors, and Papua New Guinea, about a potential warm-up match before the Sydney game.

However, Scurrah has poured cold water on the rumours, saying the February window for a game against Wigan is already too tight for the Warriors.

"We've said we want to establish a relationship with Wigan, but we haven't confirmed anything for the coming season," Scurrah told Sunday News.

"We want to play trial games against each other at some point, but nothing is planned at this point.
"The reality is that whilst the desire is there, the schedule is pretty tight."

The Warriors traditionally play three pre-season trials every season, with matches against the Titans at North Harbour Stadium on February 9, and the Broncos at Dunedin's indoor stadium on February 22, already penned in.

The weekend that separates the two scheduled trials will see the Warriors, and all 15 other NRL sides, take place in the first NRL Auckland Nines tournament, at Eden Park on February 15 and 16.

Next year's NRL fixtures are yet to be announced, but last year's NRL season started on March 7 and the 2014 edition would likely be around a similar time.

Sccurah is in the United Kingdom, where he met Wigan owner Ian Lenagan on Friday to discuss links between the two clubs. Scurrah, who attended the Kiwis World Cup semi-final against England in London this morning, also bought over spare pairs of football boots over for the Warriors members of the national squad.

The meeting went along these lines

Sorry Ian but a game against you so close to our nines comp is out of the question.

Thats a pity Chris I know how much you admire Charnley was hoping to show you him in full flow.

What time would you like kick off Ian.

:roll: :roll:
MT Smart

Post by MT Smart »

Coach Elliot has announced the order of priority for team selections.

The NZW's first trial against the Titans they are planning on resting all their names and playing the weakest side

The Game Against Wigan is ranked next , all nines players will be excluded ( Tomkins / Johnson )

but because the Wigan game is new for us Elliot says he will play his stronger team than the trial game against the Titans.

The last trial game against the Broncos will be their Shadow NRL line up of course.

MT Smart

Post by MT Smart »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:
MT Smart wrote:

T
Sccurah is in the United Kingdom, where he met Wigan owner Ian Lenagan on Friday to discuss links between the two clubs. Scurrah, who attended the Kiwis World Cup semi-final against England in London this morning, also bought over spare pairs of football boots over for the Warriors members of the national squad.

The meeting went along these lines

Sorry Ian but a game against you so close to our nines comp is out of the question.

Thats a pity Chris I know how much you admire Charnley was hoping to show you him in full flow.

What time would you like kick off Ian.

Well you can bank on a few greedy NZW recruitment staff taking a long hard look at Wigans roster in the flesh.

It's a two way street , I wonder if any deals will be struck ( an Aucklander going North.....way North )

:roll: :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jolleymike

Post by jolleymike »

josie andrews wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:

We got great deals on superior flights & hotel accomodation for far less than others are now paying & a lot are going for a shorter period :exc:
Hope you've got deep pockets Josie, I'm over in singapore working this week, it averages over £4:50 for a pint of lager, on the upside the food and the place is fantastic, the people are very warm and welcoming, hope you have a great time, I was hoping this job was delayed for a few week so that I could have combined it with a trip to Australia for the WCC
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

jolleymike wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote: Would it not have been better to wait for comfirmation of the warm up game before booking?

Hope you've got deep pockets Josie, I'm over in singapore working this week, it averages over £4:50 for a pint of lager, on the upside the food and the place is fantastic, the people are very warm and welcoming, hope you have a great time, I was hoping this job was delayed for a few week so that I could have combined it with a trip to Australia for the WCC
Thank you you for the advice Mike, it's a trip of a lifetime for me as my health will only deteriorate. So while I'm still okay, of sorts, I plan to enjoy the experience as much as I can :) :eusa3:

Ps I don't drink lager, but Stephen usually starts drinking it a few weeks before we go anywhere abroad where bitter isn't the main, or the best, drink, just to get use to it :)