Another dog attack

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Kittwazzer

Another dog attack

Post by Kittwazzer »

Thankfully today's story didn't have a tragic ending thanks to a quick thinking neighbour who ran into his house and returned with a carving knife which he plunged into a Rhodesian Ridgeback which had hold of a 14 year old boy. A dog expert once told me that the Rhodesian Ridgeback is the only animal which will attack a lion without provocation. They are handsome beasts, but so are lions!

When I was on the road, I had occasion to visit a client who owned one. On arrival, he warned me not to shake hands with him or his wife as any movement towards them might spark a reaction from the dog.

I might add that both husband and wife were professonal people living in a very nice suburb. Why anyone would want one of these as a pet is a complete mystery!
josie andrews

Re: Another dog attack

Post by josie andrews »

Kittwazzer wrote:Thankfully today's story didn't have a tragic ending thanks to a quick thinking neighbour who ran into his house and returned with a carving knife which he plunged into a Rhodesian Ridgeback which had hold of a 14 year old boy. A dog expert once told me that the Rhodesian Ridgeback is the only animal which will attack a lion without provocation. They are handsome beasts, but so are lions!

When I was on the road, I had occasion to visit a client who owned one. On arrival, he warned me not to shake hands with him or his wife as any movement towards them might spark a reaction from the dog.

I might add that both husband and wife were professonal people living in a very nice suburb. Why anyone would want one of these as a pet is a complete mystery!
Denis Betts had two of these dogs several years ago. Always bumped into him with them when I was walking my Dalmatian in the Plantations. Also Andy Farrell, he had a boxer & a Jack Russell IIRC.

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

People should not be allowed to keep or breed certain breeds of dogs!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Whelley Warrior wrote:People should not be allowed to keep or breed certain breeds of dogs!
Most breeds are dangerous in the wrong hands. Its the ownership which needs to be regulated!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

There are no dangerous dogs just the owners, as KW has said.

There is only one dangerous breed in the world & that is us humans :evil:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

josie andrews wrote:There are no dangerous dogs just the owners, as KW has said.

Exactly Josie. There is a 'Brain Surgeon' in Marsh Green who has a pitbull called 'Asbo'. That in itself should be sufficient to ban him from owning dogs in my opinion!
x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

josie andrews wrote:There are no dangerous dogs just the owners, as KW has said.

Not often i would disagree with you but on this i do .....

Interbreeding already aggressive dogs (dogs already bred to have this type of emotion for hunting etc.)leads to problems in the end product, one of those problems is an unstable mind set and trigger responses from the animal .... i agree its not the dogs fault just as its not the gun or knifes fault for an attack, its the morons who want to change breeds of animals to get an end result of terror, but these breeds are dangerous
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
endoman

Post by endoman »

We have a Ridgeback, he's soft as a brush. Very gentle and popular with the kids in the local pub, although he's terrified of our cats. Very sad story but not typical of the breed. They were bred to keep Lions at bay while the hunter did the rest with his gun, not to go after the lion.

Agree with all re the owners and the way a dog is brought up.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

There is a frightening lack of control around dog ownership and i for one would like to see a whole lot more done to prevent certain people from owning dogs. I feel like you should go through a similar vetting procedure to if you want to adopt a dog from the rspca.

Dogs are by nature playful and happy animals and there is no reason whatsoever a dog should be aggressive the only reason is it has learnt to behave that way in the same way that there are no children born bad, they become that way because of their environment that shapes them.

What really irritates me is the amount of dog owners that dont give a damn and let their dogs off leads etc when they have no control over them, i have had to fend several dogs away from my own on occasion through careless owners. My dog is a little cockerpoo and although his breed is known for it he has the most placid temperament and just wants to play. Its ill education and sometimes its not even on purpose, but things like shouting at dogs or striking them does nothing but make them nervous and angry and the amount of people that feel this is a good way of "teaching a dog to behave"

When ours was a pup if he was naughty we didn't shout we simply removed him from the room and left him on his own for a a few minutes before letting him back in. If he was naughty again we repeated it. He soon stopped being naughty when he realised it would lead to him being excluded from "the pack" a far worse punishment for a dog than a smack round the head. Dont get me wrong he gets the odd tap on the nose when we needed his attention but overall shouting doesnt work mainly because the dogs dont know what the hell youre going on about. Dogs have really short memories too so if you shout or punish them for doing something 5-10minutes or longer ago they wont make the connection so its pointless and will just make them think they are unexpectedly going to be set upon.

Im by no means a dog expert but i made sure i read a lot on them before i got one and i can only speak from my own experience but i have a happy dog that has never bit anyone or growled at anyone or barked at anyone, and he never destroys anything when left alone and is very obdient (if a little cheeky) so it looks like hes happy with the way things are :)

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:There is a frightening lack of control around dog ownership and i for one would like to see a whole lot more done to prevent certain people from owning dogs. I feel like you should go through a similar vetting procedure to if you want to adopt a dog from the rspca.

Dogs are by nature playful and happy animals and there is no reason whatsoever a dog should be aggressive the only reason is it has learnt to behave that way in the same way that there are no children born bad, they become that way because of their environment that shapes them.

What really irritates me is the amount of dog owners that dont give a damn and let their dogs off leads etc when they have no control over them, i have had to fend several dogs away from my own on occasion through careless owners. My dog is a little cockerpoo and although his breed is known for it he has the most placid temperament and just wants to play. Its ill education and sometimes its not even on purpose, but things like shouting at dogs or striking them does nothing but make them nervous and angry and the amount of people that feel this is a good way of "teaching a dog to behave"

When ours was a pup if he was naughty we didn't shout we simply removed him from the room and left him on his own for a a few minutes before letting him back in. If he was naughty again we repeated it. He soon stopped being naughty when he realised it would lead to him being excluded from "the pack" a far worse punishment for a dog than a smack round the head. Dont get me wrong he gets the odd tap on the nose when we needed his attention but overall shouting doesnt work mainly because the dogs dont know what the hell youre going on about. Dogs have really short memories too so if you shout or punish them for doing something 5-10minutes or longer ago they wont make the connection so its pointless and will just make them think they are unexpectedly going to be set upon.

Im by no means a dog expert but i made sure i read a lot on them before i got one and i can only speak from my own experience but i have a happy dog that has never bit anyone or growled at anyone or barked at anyone, and he never destroys anything when left alone and is very obdient (if a little cheeky) so it looks like hes happy with the way things are :)

You've made a perfect point by describing how much effort you made to teach your pet how to behave and become a member of your 'pack'. Like anything else, it doesn't happen automatically. How many 'rogue' dog owners would even think of investing so much time and effort? Therein lies the problem!