Jordan James

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
weststand-rich

Re: Jordan James

Post by weststand-rich »

I think it's a depressing indictment on the standard of superleague more than anything.

When we signed him in 2006, he was considered a desperation stopgap measure and as soon as Nobby came, he was shunted off. Certainly not Wigan standard At the time, I actually thought that was a bit harsh (especially since he was one of the few players to get over the line at St Helens good Friday that year :-)), but virtually no-one would have said this is the class of player we should sign.

And now, 8 years on, we sign him in the twilight of his career after a playing roster of struggling superleague clubs and championship spells and nobody bats an eyelid. And the tragedy is he'll probably do okay.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

He isn't being signed to play week in week out though, I would hazard a guess that he was signed to let the young lad go to London, that way we know we have cover. He is an "if all else fails option" in the same way ratford was for hull.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

WiganWarrior wrote:He's back and signed a 1 year deal just heard this.

At 33 not exactly a wow signing
Correct, but if required I bet he plays better than Powell and Lauaki!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I don't think this is a bad signing for cover, he played at SL level and he will still be fit, he could come in and do a job if were are short on bodies. Its better to have the young lads on loan playing regularly than bit parts JJ doesn't need games and will put in a shift if needed. I cant imagine we are paying him much either

decent bit of business IMO
The club has been aware of the Lauaki situation for a while now and therefore should have planned to replace him. James and Powell are/were viewed as similar commodities - short-term signings. We have plenty of space under the salary cap but it has proven difficult to attract players of the right quality or for the right fee. I am told that we are still monitoring several players but we may wait until next season to recruit as clubs are asking silly transfer fees. However, if we are faced with an injury nightmare then we will have the resources to recruit mid-season.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I don't think this is a bad signing for cover, he played at SL level and he will still be fit, he could come in and do a job if were are short on bodies. Its better to have the young lads on loan playing regularly than bit parts JJ doesn't need games and will put in a shift if needed. I cant imagine we are paying him much either

decent bit of business IMO
The club has been aware of the Lauaki situation for a while now and therefore should have planned to replace him. James and Powell are/were viewed as similar commodities - short-term signings. We have plenty of space under the salary cap but it has proven difficult to attract players of the right quality or for the right fee. I am told that we are still monitoring several players but we may wait until next season to recruit as clubs are asking silly transfer fees. However, if we are faced with an injury nightmare then we will have the resources to recruit mid-season.
Well obviously one way to keep a player is ask for silly transfer fees. Clearly, IL isn't asking for silly enough transfer fees when clubs come knocking at our door.

As to signing JJ, this smacks of desperation given the exit of Lauaki and Powell and highlights what an idiotic move it was to sell Hansen.

butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

DaveO wrote:
Well obviously one way to keep a player is ask for silly transfer fees. Clearly, IL isn't asking for silly enough transfer fees when clubs come knocking at our door.

As to signing JJ, this smacks of desperation given the exit of Lauaki and Powell and highlights what an idiotic move it was to sell Hansen.
Like sefc said, the club were aware that Lauaki wouldn't play for them again despite being given a squad number - that much was pretty obvious. Andy Powell, who can say how long ago the club decided he was "not up to the standard". I'm guessing around the end of last season tbh

I go with what sefc says. Wigan have cap space and money available. When a potential target becomes available or close to ending their current contract I am sure (as we saw with Matty Smith) then the club will act. Why panic and show desperation paying silly fees for players who will be out of contract in a years time? Even without Hansen I am sure this squad is more than capable of finishing in the play-offs - which is all that counts
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Nothing against Jordon as a person infact he's really a nice to speak to.But as a signing? Really! what the hell are you up to wigan? For goodness sake I would rather you had taken a punt on one of the youngsters rather than this signing.Yes he does indeed have super league experience but so does Lauaki and look what he brought to the side sweet f.a.Sometimes i genuinely despair at the decisions made by whomever, be it wane or IL.I genuinely hope that if the call comes for him to pull on the jersey he proves me wrong and put in a stormer.Somehow i doubt that he will. :conf:
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Jordan James isnt a bad player look at him 2012 for the reds to Hansen last year;

Avg meters per carry
JJ = 6
HH = 5

Tries
JJ = 2
HH = 1

Try Assist
JJ = 0
HH = 1

Tackles
JJ = 428
HH = 471

Missed Tackles
JJ = 23
HH = 41

Tackle Bust
JJ = 15
HH = 23

I know people will say stats dont mean anything ya ya ya, and maybe that him and hansen play different positions which is true. However the way people talk of Hansen and James aare as if they are in a different league where as if you look at the stats around their performance you couldnt say there is anything of note in it. Im not claiming that James is as good as Hansen but Hansen was a "star" first teamer, James has been brought in to be there if needed i think he is more than capable of doing that job for us at im guessing a low wage
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

Still can't get my head around this move???
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

butt monkey wrote:
DaveO wrote:

Like sefc said, the club were aware that Lauaki wouldn't play for them again despite being given a squad number - that much was pretty obvious. Andy Powell, who can say how long ago the club decided he was "not up to the standard". I'm guessing around the end of last season tbh

I go with what sefc says. Wigan have cap space and money available. When a potential target becomes available or close to ending their current contract I am sure (as we saw with Matty Smith) then the club will act. Why panic and show desperation paying silly fees for players who will be out of contract in a years time? Even without Hansen I am sure this squad is more than capable of finishing in the play-offs - which is all that counts
Well what counts as we saw last season is winning the trophies, not making the play offs.

I don't see how letting Hansen go and signing JJ will help us in that regard this season.

I was impressed with some of the new signings and kids v Leigh but I am convinced the sale of Hansen was a huge blunder and then when we sign JJ it is time to bang the head against the desk.