Salford's Gareth Hock insists he'll never play for 'coward' England boss McNamara

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Salford's Gareth Hock insists he'll never play for 'coward' England boss McNamara

Post by josie andrews »

GARETH HOCK claims he’ll never play for England again while Steve McNamara is in charge.

The new Salford signing has accused McNamara of cowardice for the way he threw him out of the World Cup.

The 30-year-old forward said: “I’ve lost all respect for him because he couldn’t sit me down like a man and tell me to my face.

“He rung me up and I think that’s cowardice. I would not play for him again”

Hock says the decision hurts him after battling back into the England side following a two-year ban for drug use.

But he insisted: “While Steve McNamara is still there I do not want to be part of the England team.

“I still think it was harsh what happened to me in the World Cup. I don’t think I deserved to be kicked out.”

Hock was part of a group of England players who broke a drinks ban just hours after the embarrassing warm-up defeat by Italy last October.

Others were let off with warnings and dropped from the opening World Cup game, but Hock was sent packing after missing a squad session the following morning.

He added: “I will always think it was harsh because I didn’t do anything bad, but I will just concentrate on Salford now.”

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/rugby-league ... s-McNamara
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
x Wigan Warrior x

Re: Salford's Gareth Hock insists he'll never play for 'coward' England boss...

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

BOOM :exc:

think he should have just shut up and said nothing, but then again i admire his courage to say this to McBanana, no one else will come out and say he is crap :conf:
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Correct decision and one made on principle IMO. Gaz Hock let himself down BUT likewise so did other players, then subsequently so did the coach and the RFL EVEN MORE.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Hock got what he deserved. He was the one that missed the training session. If it meant that much to him he would have been at training. To think he as been allowed back into the game of rugby league then into the England squad. Some players can only dream of what as been on offer to him.. well he only has his self to blame.

thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Wigan Watcher wrote:Hock got what he deserved. He was the one that missed the training session. If it meant that much to him he would have been at training. To think he as been allowed back into the game of rugby league then into the England squad. Some players can only dream of what as been on offer to him.. well he only has his self to blame.
I agree with you. He knew the rules and what was asked of him and he let himself down badly and paid a heavy public price for it. Where he has a point is that Mcnamara should have had the guts to tell him to his face.

People have short memories but did Wane technically fire him last season and got rid of him for certain issues. Hock never learns and will be remembered as the Wigan player who missed out on winning trophies due to his stupidity.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

cpwigan wrote:Correct decision and one made on principle IMO. Gaz Hock let himself down BUT likewise so did other players, then subsequently so did the coach and the RFL EVEN MORE.
But then the others haven't disgraced themselves like he has in the past, the others deserved a little leeway Hock didn't, he should realise that he needs to be on his best behaviour all the time because of his past IMO
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

medlocke wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Correct decision and one made on principle IMO. Gaz Hock let himself down BUT likewise so did other players, then subsequently so did the coach and the RFL EVEN MORE.
But then the others haven't disgraced themselves like he has in the past, the others deserved a little leeway Hock didn't, he should realise that he needs to be on his best behaviour all the time because of his past IMO
Whatever organisation / club you run you then have to enforce the same set of rules for everybody to ensure fairness and consistency. James Graham was one of those that too/accompanied Hock and he has previous too. So why send James Graham home? Why not send everybody concerned home? A 1/3rd ? of a squad took the P out of the so called coach and what he was supposed to represent which says it all really.

Standards require principles as their foundation and as such the English Coach's standards have no foundation. Worse, the very same coach then brought English RL into disrepute with repeated misbehavior at press conferences and a total lack of professionalism from the VERY PERSON that should lead/instill standards.

The English RFL did nothing and are as guilty as the coach who they then chose to belittle the role even more by saying hey you can become a PT international coach whilst only being good enough to be an assistant in the NRL.

Re Hock, people can / should argue why was he even selected in the first place which raises issues about the judgement of the so called coach who then proceeded to play players not in his original squad leaving others that he had originally selected twiddling their thumbs. HUGE ? ON DECISION MAKING.

The English RFL should have replaced MacNamara at the end of the debacle and likewise ended the international careers of the players they saw fit to.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

So easily to say when you suspect you will never be selected again because of continually flouting what is expected in regard of you in regard to discipline and behaviour both on and off the field.