Very young inexperienced squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Very young inexperienced squad

Post by southportcdm »

I've just been reading the new warriors official handbook which I always really enjoy and, once I'd overcome my surprise that we'd signed a new winger called Josh Charley, it really struck me just how young our squad is this year. I think that most of the squad will show large improvements over the next two to three years and that perhaps we're in danger of expecting too much from them this year. There's a huge difference between several young talented players contributing periodically to a well settled side and youngsters making up a large proportion of the team week after week. I'm sure that many of us saw this coming with the experience that the squad has lost over the past two seasons, we'll have to be patient.
DaveO

Re: Very young inexperienced squad

Post by DaveO »

southportcdm wrote:I've just been reading the new warriors official handbook which I always really enjoy and, once I'd overcome my surprise that we'd signed a new winger called Josh Charley, it really struck me just how young our squad is this year. I think that most of the squad will show large improvements over the next two to three years and that perhaps we're in danger of expecting too much from them this year. There's a huge difference between several young talented players contributing periodically to a well settled side and youngsters making up a large proportion of the team week after week. I'm sure that many of us saw this coming with the experience that the squad has lost over the past two seasons, we'll have to be patient.
We should not be in this position though. In the past we managed the transition of older players like Pat leaving by not sending them on their way accompanied by three of the best players in the team.

Younger players were brought into a side gradually. The last time we ended up with this kind of situation was 2006.

We are very thin on the ground with experienced players and last night you saw us without Lockers and effectively Micky Mac. Add Chranley to the injury list and that left us with a team sheet I don't think scares anyone much. So unless the senior players stay fit I don't expect us to be competitive against the better sides like Hudds.