Can this year's squad become as good as last year's?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Can this year's squad become as good as last year's?

Post by southportcdm »

I wasn't surprised by today's result but did see some promising signs. I think that last season's Grand Final winning team would have given the Roosters a better game but would have still been beaten. However, I'm now interested to see if people think that this year's squad has the potential to match what we achieved last season. I don't think we will but am hopeful for next season so long as we can hold onto our best players.
Kaii

Re: Can this year's squad become as good as last year's?

Post by Kaii »

TBH today wasn't the team, the ref first half gave them two tries and Bowen was terrible. Dan was an improvement on last season, Eddie was effective and Bateman brings a better over all game than Hanson (no offence to H)
We did miss Pat's kicking but Budgie on the wing just gets better each game.

So we have the team just add Rocky to the start up and we'll better what last years side did.

Now on to Bowen, yes he was a great player in the NRL but he has no intention of fighting for us. People suspected this from the start when he shown virtually no enthusiasm in coming here, he just looked like a man who has retired.
So did we miss Sam, no we missed a fullback
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Kaii wrote:TBH today wasn't the team, the ref first half gave them two tries and Bowen was terrible. Dan was an improvement on last season, Eddie was effective and Bateman brings a better over all game than Hanson (no offence to H)
We did miss Pat's kicking but Budgie on the wing just gets better each game.

So we have the team just add Rocky to the start up and we'll better what last years side did.

Now on to Bowen, yes he was a great player in the NRL but he has no intention of fighting for us. People suspected this from the start when he shown virtually no enthusiasm in coming here, he just looked like a man who has retired.
So did we miss Sam, no we missed a fullback
To be fair, Bowen wasn't in the country for long before he got shipped out to America then just as he's getting over that he is shipped off back to Aus his head n body must be all over the shop, fair enough Pettybournes done some travelling but did he stay on after the world cup? , also prop isn't a specialty position like fullback is so Pettybourne imo has far less pressure on him, Bowen needs to be given at least 5 games to see how he fairs
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

Yes he should be given time to prove people wrong but today being new was no excuse. Out of everyone in that team Bowen was the best prepared full career in the NRL, against his childhood team and a team he's played against throughout his career. He had no excuse for being this useless/clueless and without any fight.

Good news for Rocky anyway
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Kaii wrote:Yes he should be given time to prove people wrong but today being new was no excuse. Out of everyone in that team Bowen was the best prepared full career in the NRL, against his childhood team and a team he's played against throughout his career. He had no excuse for being this useless/clueless and without any fight.

Good news for Rocky anyway
Very good news for him. I have a feeling 1, 6 & 7 finishing the season will be different to the one's who started. Today I got the impression that Bowen only signed to play against the likes of London and Bradford!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

To be honest no and yes ohh i do not know.

If i told you this time last year we would do the double some or most would have laughed at me. I would have too. The squad is very strong and looking at the wings both sides look much more dangerous than last season. Burgess will finish more tries than Pat did last season. No disrespect to Pat but Sarginson is a better center than Gelling and Thornley.

Problem is the full back. Whilst Sam was error prone on occasions at FB he was lethal in attack and set up countless tries and his defence developed. Bowen needs to settle in and if that happens we could win something. Luck plays a part in winning trophies and last season we got a bit of it.

Can this squad do the double no but i would have said the same thing about last seasons squad. Impressed with Burgess and Sarginson and Pettybourne looks a decent prop.
The Eclipse

Post by The Eclipse »

Sam Powell's absence was a big blow to the team last night, this team has the potential to be better than last years squad.
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

Sam & Micky have the hooker spot all sorted, no worries there. Can see logan moving on tbh
xbrettkennyx

Post by xbrettkennyx »

The quality of the players decreases each year.

Just look at the squad 3 years ago, look at it now and tell me just how it has improved.

Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

For me Bowen looks like he doesn't want to put his body on the line for us, he passed every time he ran the ball back and wasn't interested in competing for the high ball

Full back is not a position you can do that
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure