Charnley needs to improve!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
East Stand Faithful

Charnley needs to improve!

Post by East Stand Faithful »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/26419227

Wigan coach Shaun Wane says two-time Super League top try-scorer Josh Charnley must "learn to perform" before he will be considered for a recall.
The winger, 22, was left out of Saturday's 46-24 victory against Wakefield following defeat by Sydney Roosters in the World Club Challenge.
The win was the Super League champions' first this term.
"He was dropped," Wane explained. "He knows that and knows he needs to improve to get back in the team."

Talking to BBC Radio Manchester, the 49-year-old Warriors boss continued: "I'm very comfortable doing that and giving Dom Manfredi his chance.
"Josh didn't play well in Sydney. What is really important for me is that Josh Charnley learns he need to perform."
Manfredi, 20, marked his surprise start with his first try for Wigan.
England winger Charnley ran in two tries against the Roosters as the Warriors threatened to mount a second-half fightback against Australia's NRL winners.
Wane described his side's failure to perform as "upsetting", having been 18-0 down at half-time.
Just nine players who featured in Sydney retained their places in the squad as Wigan earned their first points of the season against the Wildcats.
Former North Queensland Cowboys full-back Matt Bowen was left out and Darrell Goulding was among other players rested.
"I understand where we are at, and knew the performance [against Wakefield] wouldn't be 100%, and it wasn't, but we got the two points which is important," added Wane.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
Kittwazzer

Re: Charnley needs to improve!

Post by Kittwazzer »

Poor show from Wane IMO. Matters like this should remain in-house.

You'd never have heard Madge come out with anything like this!
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Totally agree re Wane.
The lad has just come back from a hernia operation and to be honest he looked physically out of shape in the changeroom at the Roosters. Coming back from an operation like that isn't a 5 minute fix.
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Wane knows the lads makeup better than any of us. If this is the best way to get a response from him then wane will know that.

He did something similar when Ryan Hall undress him a few times 18 months or so ago and then Charnley went on to score 40 plus tries....

Wane won the double. Madge didn't. Move on
Aluaka

Post by Aluaka »

.... but is Charnley in danger of his ego becoming bigger than he is? Poster boy this year - has it gone to his head?

I agree though that he needs recovery time after his op anyway, and couldn't really be expected to do much in his first match back v Sydney (should he have ben left out for that? Manfredi may well have been more use in that match, and he was there ready to go....

I am confident that whatever happens with Josh, Manfredi will become a perfect stand-in / replacement - and maybe carry less Nando eating ego around with him!

As for what Wane did, he's the boss - not complaining after last seasons gains, and if it leads to another successful season - so be it!
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Aluaka wrote:.... but is Charnley in danger of his ego becoming bigger than he is? Poster boy this year - has it gone to his head?

I agree though that he needs recovery time after his op anyway, and couldn't really be expected to do much in his first match back v Sydney (should he have ben left out for that? Manfredi may well have been more use in that match, and he was there ready to go....

I am confident that whatever happens with Josh, Manfredi will become a perfect stand-in / replacement - and maybe carry less Nando eating ego around with him!

As for what Wane did, he's the boss - not complaining after last seasons gains, and if it leads to another successful season - so be it!
If you have ever been in the company of Josh you would realise that he doesn't have an ego problem. He is a level headed guy, quite shy and very approachable. My biggest worry is that someone is turning his head, be that the NRL or Rugby Union.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Aluaka

Post by Aluaka »

If you have ever been in the company of Josh you would realise that he doesn't have an ego problem. He is a level headed guy, quite shy and very approachable. My biggest worry is that someone is turning his head, be that the NRL or Rugby Union.
Fair point, I haven't been in his company, so you are far more qualified than me to confirm his ego position.

From all I know of him, e.g. his twitter profile, general presence and media conversations, project otherwise.

Something isn't right - and NRL or RU could indeed be the answer.[/quote]
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Two games in and the rest of the season to go. He will come good. Did not agree with wane bringing this into the media. A good talking to in secret would have been the order of the day in my book. Agreed he was not at his best against Sydney that was obvious to all without it being highlighted in the media.We all know what Josh is capable of and we will be applauding him long and loud the next time he scores.Leave it behind closed doors Shaun.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

KOOCH wrote:Two games in and the rest of the season to go. He will come good. Did not agree with wane bringing this into the media. A good talking to in secret would have been the order of the day in my book. Agreed he was not at his best against Sydney that was obvious to all without it being highlighted in the media.We all know what Josh is capable of and we will be applauding him long and loud the next time he scores.Leave it behind closed doors Shaun.
Completely agree with keeping things like this in house, disappointed really to come home & see this :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

A hernia operation is not a major injury at all, most professional athletes can be back in full time training within 4 weeks after full time recovery and treatment. It is not an excuse for Josh to have become 'out of shape' and I am not saying he has. I have no problem with what SW has done and I am sure you will see Josh firing on all cylinders very soon.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett