Benji

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
cow yeds

Benji

Post by cow yeds »

https://dub120.mail.live.com/default.as ... cdda8&fv=1

News Limited in Australia is reporting that the Salford Red Devils are set to launch a $3 million bid for former Wests Tigers star Benii Marshall.

Marshall has been playing Rugby Union this season and by all accounts he hasn't exactly set the world on fire with the limited opportunities he has had.

While I wouldn't be shocked to see this move come off, I'd suggest Marshall would not cost the Salford Red Devils that much money. If he comes back to Rugby League it would be at a bargain price that matched the form he showed last year, which quite honestly went from bad to terrible.

Still, on his day Benji Marshall would still be the best playmaker in Super League and easily the most accomplished player in the competition.

Whether he can go from living in Sydney, then Auckland, and then northern England in the space of about six months however is another story.

I think if an NRL club got desperate enough they would take a shot at luring Marshall back. He has said he wouldn't play against the Wests Tigers again but I'm sure he has probably changed his mind by now.

When you consider that Rugby Union players do not count against the Super League salary cap, and that the Red Devils can pay what they want for him, why not go for it!
Kittwazzer

Re: Benji

Post by Kittwazzer »

Can't read it without a Microsoft Account!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Same here!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Richymac

Post by Richymac »

Well if it is true Blakey has interest from Madge then maybe this is a good move but what about the youngsters coming through I don't think that another older player instead of younger players is going to do us any good in the long run
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

I can't read it either.

What does it say?
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
OJ

Post by OJ »

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

East Stand Faithful wrote:I can't read it either.

What does it say?
Cowyeds has pasted it on to his OP.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cow yeds wrote:
When you consider that Rugby Union players do not count against the Super League salary cap, and that the Red Devils can pay what they want for him, why not go for it!
That is only supposed to be for players who are "new talent" and have never played RL before.

Otherwise what is to stop Leeds Rhinos from rotating their entire squad with Leeds RU and getting them all off he salary cap?

I think letting Benji be exempt from the cap using that rule is asking for trouble.

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

DaveO wrote:
cow yeds wrote:
That is only supposed to be for players who are "new talent" and have never played RL before.

Otherwise what is to stop Leeds Rhinos from rotating their entire squad with Leeds RU and getting them all off he salary cap?

I think letting Benji be exempt from the cap using that rule is asking for trouble.
He won't be, and the Doc knows it. Hence his £3m soundbites!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Benji Marshall has no interest in a move to England

Benji Marshall's agent insists the Auckland Blues man is not about to play in Super League after being linked with a move to Salford Red Devils.

Red Devils owner Marwan Koukash was believed to want the former Wests Tigers man to the AJ Bell Stadium after struggling to make an early impact in Super Rugby.

Marshall signed a two-year deal with Blues and while he is expected to move at least once more during his career, Japan or the south of France are preferable destinations to England.

However, that does not rule out playing in French Super League club Catalan Dragons unless he remains in union and fancies Top 14 club Perpignan.

"I have no idea about this so-called interest in Benji going to play league in England," Tauber told Total Rugby League.

Last place

"The last place that Benji would be looking at playing or thinking of trying out would be England.

"I had dinner with Benji and his wife last week and they are very happy - they've moved into a new place and are loving being in New Zealand.

"Down the track - and I'm talking well down the track - if Benji was to move I'd explore the south of France or Japan to extend his career.

"Not England, not for a minute."

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... to-england
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan