Veteran Jordan James could win an extended stay at Wigan Warriors

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Veteran Jordan James could win an extended stay at Wigan Warriors

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun Wane has hinted experienced front-rower Jordan James will win an extended stay at Wigan Warriors while adding Logan Tomkins remains in his long-term plans.

The former Salford forward put a move into coaching on ice at the start of this year and penned a one-year playing deal after impressing in training.

James turned 34 in May, however, he has already made a first-team contribution and with injuries to Eddy Pettybourne and Ben Flower he should stay in the frame.

"I don't need to make the call yet but I've been impressed with Jordan, and I'm leaning towards going with him again."

Wane on James
Wane knows he in is no rush to finalise James' future, although he has been impressed enough for him to already think about 2015 and beyond.

"I don't need to make the call yet but I've been impressed with Jordan, and I'm leaning towards going with him again," Wane told the Wigan Evening Post. "I like him, he's a good player.

Good guy

"Technically he gets what we're about, and that's the hardest thing for a front-rower when they come here, but he's got in straight away and that tells me he's got some smarts about him. He's a good guy too."

Meanwhile, Wane insists hooker Tomkins, who is now on a season-long loan after initially joining for a month, still has a long-term future at the DW Stadium.

"If he can fix up what he needs to fix up then he'll definitely play for us," Wane continued on Tomkins, who scored a try in the Red Devils' defeat to Leeds on Easter Monday.

"He understands what he needs to improve, and playing a lot of game time for Salford will help him do that. I watched him play against Leeds last weekend and he played really well.

"He's smart, I like him, I just couldn't guarantee him game-time here, so it made sense for everyone."

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... n-warriors
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kaii

Re: Veteran Jordan James could win an extended stay at Wigan Warriors

Post by Kaii »

JJ is doing well he should be around for a long time coaching or playing
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Kaii wrote:JJ is doing well he should be around for a long time coaching or playing
I suppose it's how his salary is counted on the cap. If all his salary including coaching is counted then no, but if it's only his playing salary then I can see the sense in it.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

No straw damn us wrote:
Kaii wrote:JJ is doing well he should be around for a long time coaching or playing
I suppose it's how his salary is counted on the cap. If all his salary including coaching is counted then no, but if it's only his playing salary then I can see the sense in it.
I am pretty sure all his salary is counted. Otherwise we'd have around 40 coaches at the club as would everyone else especially Salford! You can't get round the cap by saying a player is also a coach.

Having now watched the Saints game I am not sure why Wane is saying this. While he may look OK against weak sides he was way off the pace in that game.

We also have Taylor, Flower, Clubb (who looks far better as a prop than a back rower), Cosby and Eddie who are better than him and a couple of young props who also look very promising.

If I was a young prop at the club I would not be impressed if Wigan gave James another year. He is just not good enough to be considered worth a slot in team as a veteran like Morely was for Salford for example.

Kaii

Post by Kaii »

JJ is under no illusions he's going to start any games or his skill level compared to say Scotty Taylor, he's here to coach and if needed he'll play where ever he's asked. He said this himself at the riversiders, imo he should be judged on his overall contribution to the club not just his on field performance which is also not too bad.
If I was a young prop at the club I would not be impressed if Wigan gave James another year.
Is this before or after they thanked him for serving his country, don't assume that our young players have have your sort of attitude.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

If I was a young prop at the club I would not be impressed if Wigan gave James another year.
Kaii wrote:Is this before or after they thanked him for serving his country, don't assume that our young players have have your sort of attitude.
Just what is my attitude as you put it?

The fact he was a Royal Marine Commando should not buy him a first team place if he isn't up to it and he's not IMO.

And we can all appreciate his efforts in the armed forces whether we are young players or not and doing so also doesn't mean those young players won't resent it if a player of his ability gets a slot and they don't. Especially if they can see he isn't up to regardless of his military record.

I am also sure he is a top bloke not least because of his background but that doesn't win him a place in the team either in my book. And I hope not in Wane's either.

Sounds ideal coaching material to me. As a player? No. Definitely not in 2015.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

What on earth has any military experience got to do with the view of rugby league players. Whatever next SACK WANE, MCDERMOTT OUR NEW HEAD COACH.

Utter tripe!

We have young props who can easily do 10/15 minute stints from the bench and offer so much more potential.
Kaii

Post by Kaii »

It's to do with attitude cp, Dave mentioned if he was a young prop he wouldn't be too impressed if JJ got a one year extension. For a start contracts have nothing what so ever to do with them and Shaun Wane will decide who gets what. So to have that attitude and resentment for someone like Jordan James is disgusting.

As I said though it was Dave's attitude not our young players so let's not assume we have assholes in our squad. You also seem to not understand the word potential, just because someone has potential to be great in the future doesn't mean they are ready now.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Kaii wrote:It's to do with attitude cp, Dave mentioned if he was a young prop he wouldn't be too impressed if JJ got a one year extension. For a start contracts have nothing what so ever to do with them and Shaun Wane will decide who gets what. So to have that attitude and resentment for someone like Jordan James is disgusting.

As I said though it was Dave's attitude not our young players so let's not assume we have assholes in our squad. You also seem to not understand the word potential, just because someone has potential to be great in the future doesn't mean they are ready now.
No you seem to not understand potential.

Jordan James was not deemed good enough to play for the then bottom SL club, Salford. He then moved into coaching at Wigan. JAMES POTENTIAL AS A PLAYER IS NOTHING It would be reasonable to argue his playing ability is on the decline and had been for 2/3 or more seasons. NOBODY WANTED JORDAN JAMES THE PLAYER, not even Wigan!

Young forwards may not be ready to be a starting prop etc BUT they gain more and the club gains more from giving them 10 / 15 stints in the first team so they can suck up the experience / attitude of senior players and steadily adjust with brief interchange stints that allow them to develop and realise their considerable potential TO WIGAN.

I will tell you this not one Leeds player or for that matter any SL club would be unhappy to see James in the 17. They would be licking their lips.

Youngsters with abilities and skills beyond James and unknown to opponents scare opponents lacking tip sheets on them pre match AND/OR never having faced them before. The likes of Sutton and Austin and Burke before them are Academy Internationals because they have something.

REMEMBER, Let's not have any duty of care they are not ready garbage. We sent Greenwood to London to get battered every week; Spencer to Leigh last season. Young players leave if they cannot see a future at Wigan and plenty clubs always want them. Nobody wanted James. We are playing James because he is costing a pittance. Nothing more, nothing lessbut in doing so we are screwing the careers of younger players who can offer Wigan more.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

How many young props that Wigan have had on their books have come back to bite us when they have been released? I will trust a double winning coach on his selection process.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett